Marvin Williams breaks his hand

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2639645

Williams, the No. 2 overall pick in last year's NBA draft, broke a bone in his left hand during practice Thursday and will be out up to eight weeks. The Hawks open the regular season Wednesday at Philadelphia.

Marvin is the second Hawk to break his hand in practice since Atlanta drafted Sheldon Williams. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Oh, and in an unrelated story: Darko Milicic is out indefinitely with a back injury, Troy Murphy hasn't played since he broke his nose last week, and Chris Bosh has plantar fasciitis, which should affect him the rest of the season. :mad:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2639645

Marvin is the second Hawk to break his hand in practice since Atlanta drafted Sheldon Williams. Coincidence? I doubt it.

Oh, and in an unrelated story: Darko Milicic is out indefinitely with a back injury, Troy Murphy hasn't played since he broke his nose last week, and Chris Bosh has plantar fasciitis, which should affect him the rest of the season. :mad:

I wonder how this affects the ASFN fantasy league???

HooverDam

Reaction score
and Chris Bosh has plantar fasciitis, which should affect him the rest of the season. :mad:

I have that as well, I want you to all rest assured that it won't affect my message boarding at all this season.

Puppet

Reaction score
But if the Hawks are too awful this season they will probably land a top 3 pick, which would be protected in the next draft. We want them to suck but not suck too much.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Odds are that at least one team will move up in the lottery, so if the Hawks finish with the third-worst record, that could still be a very good situation for the Suns.

Back when there were 13 lottery teams, the probability of the #3 "seed" remaining in the top 3 was only 47% (based on the actual lottery system, not previous history). I haven't seen how the proverbial "lottery balls" are distributed now that there are 15 teams involved, but it's probably similar.

Puppet

Reaction score
True. It could work out well for us. But I guess the worst case scenario would be that they really suck, end up with the #1 pick, draft Greg Oden, really improve and become a playoff team the following season, and the pick becomes #16 or something. That's what I'm afraid of. That sort of thing happened with Chicago when we traded them Luol Deng for a future pick back in 2004. At the time the Bulls were one of the worst teams for a number of years and then suddenly they became a playoff team team and we got a lower pick (Nate Robinson).

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I dont think there is much danger that the hawks finish as one of the three worst teams this season. They have decent talent plus Williams should only be out about 6-8 weeks.

Still I plan on watching a lot of Hawks games this season on league pass because of our draft pick.

Nash

Reaction score
I wonder how this affects the ASFN fantasy league???

damn! :bang:
I thought he was going to have a breakout season and drafted him in the ASFN league, in the 4th round.

now sshh.., I'm going to try to pass him off.

nowagimp

Reaction score
I dont think there is much danger that the hawks finish as one of the three worst teams this season. They have decent talent plus Williams should only be out about 6-8 weeks.

Still I plan on watching a lot of Hawks games this season on league pass because of our draft pick.

Claxton is also out, but I'm sure he'll be back before too long. The pick is looking really good now. Three worse teams might be: the bobcats, the trail blazers, and Memphis(w/out Gasol). Its gonna be tight for the hawks to stay out of the top 5, though. Who else is worse than the hawks, the knicks?

Nash

Reaction score
Claxton is also out, but I'm sure he'll be back before too long. The pick is looking really good now. Three worse teams might be: the bobcats, the trail blazers, and Memphis(w/out Gasol). Its gonna be tight for the hawks to stay out of the top 5, though. Who else is worse than the hawks, the knicks?

Knicks? You kidding me? They're the Phoenix of the East..just like the Raptors are the Phoenix of the North.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True. It could work out well for us. But I guess the worst case scenario would be that they really suck, end up with the #1 pick, draft Greg Oden, really improve and become a playoff team the following season, and the pick becomes #16 or something. That's what I'm afraid of. That sort of thing happened with Chicago when we traded them Luol Deng for a future pick back in 2004. At the time the Bulls were one of the worst teams for a number of years and then suddenly they became a playoff team team and we got a lower pick (Nate Robinson).

Isn't it a defense mechanism we all have to use this line of reasoning. Imagine the worst possible scenario, and then most of the time it will be better than you imagined--never worse.

But alas, there is always a worse scenario and the Suns find it (I think I covered all the bases with that comment).

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Knicks? You kidding me? They're the Phoenix of the East..just like the Raptors are the Phoenix of the North.

Whats that supposed to mean?? He called the the Knicks bad (which is true) then you call them the Suns of the east....Why is that?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yeah the pick could be decent. I'd be happy if it were top 7 even.

Nash

Reaction score
Whats that supposed to mean?? He called the the Knicks bad (which is true) then you call them the Suns of the east....Why is that?

damn the print medium! I was joking and being sarcastic. It was an allusion to the attempt being made by the Raps and Knicks to play like Phoenix.
Knicks (hope to be) Phoenix of the East just like the Raptors hope to be Phoenix of the North. we know neither of them will be succesful at that.
bottom line : Knicks stink.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard