jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Marbury's anatomy still big question

Bob Young and Norm Frauenheim
The Arizona Republic
May. 1, 2003 12:00 AM

Frank Johnson was kidding, sort of.

He was discussing - again - the condition of Stephon Marbury's right shoulder/arm/neck and cracked that Marbury now has "an extra rib in his shoulder," which he suggested was moved there by Malik Rose's pick that knocked Marbury down in Game 4.

As it turns out, Marbury really does have an extra rib - but no thanks to Rose.

"They said something like I've got an extra rib," he said, laughing. "My wife told me there's a doctor in Tempe that specializes in that. She said, 'I looked it up.' I was like, 'Oh, (expletive).'

"You know how it is when you get hurt, they have to find something that's causing it."

But Johnson did go on to say that the Spurs have gotten the best of the officiating in the series.

"There are times we have gotten to the basket and they're not making calls," he said. "We don't have the respect. Understand this. When you win 60 ballgames, who gets the calls?

"When we were winning, when Charles Barkley was here, he could almost grab somebody at the free-throw line, throw them down and go lay it in. He was MVP. He'd get away with it. They are the best team. They have the best record. They've gotten the calls.

"We do go to the basket. A big thing is, they know how to flop better than us."

Marbury was asked if he believes the officiating has been even, he responded, "Do the math."

OK.

The Spurs have averaged 32.8 free throws per game in the series. The Suns have averaged 23.4. Of course, the Spurs play an inside-out game. The Suns are perimeter and fast-break oriented.

The exception is Marbury, who takes the ball to the rim.

"When Steph takes the ball to the basket, he isn't getting the calls," Johnson said.

Ticket update

A Suns spokesman said Wednesday that about 1,300 tickets remain for tonight's Game 6.

Game 3 at America West Arena was a sellout, but Game 4 fell a few hundred short. The Spurs have sold out each of their home games in the series.

Quick healer

Apparently Spurs guard Stephen Jackson's right ankle injury, which sidelined him for most of Game 5, has healed quickly.

His condition and status for Game 6 are not even mentioned in the Spurs' official injury update.

JJ Slim

Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't there a game this season where Steph and Shawn both had like 35 points? If they could do that again tonight and have everyboy else just help out a bit we would be set.