Manny Pacquiao has agreed to terms for a Mayweather fight

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now Mayweather is saying Manny is a sore loser and a coward and he won't give him a rematch. I guess Manny actually having surgery has stolen some of Floyd's thunder?

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And now Mayweather is saying Manny is a sore loser and a coward and he won't give him a rematch. I guess Manny actually having surgery has stolen some of Floyd's thunder?

All part of the script... They will fight again next year. Ya know... there's another $200 million or so to be made after all! ;)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All part of the script... They will fight again next year. Ya know... there's another $200 million or so to be made after all! ;)

Hard to say. Jim Gray interviewed Floyd recently. Gray was on Mike and Mike this morning by phone. I guess within hours of the fight ending, Floyd texted Stephen A Smith that he'd give Manny a rematch. When he talked to Gray he said no rematch, sore loser, excuses. Gray said that Mayweather repeatedly asserted that Manny wasn't actually hurt it's an excuse the shoulder is fine, and that he believes strongly Manny hasn't properly acknowledged he lost the fight.

Gray said based on what I heard I seriously doubt they will fight again. Gray said obviously the idea that manny is lying about the shoulder is pretty far fetched given they showed the MRI papers and it's at the jobe clinic. But he said from talking to floyd, manny would basically have to come out and publicly say the better man won, he won the fight, my shoulder didn't hamper me, and essentially beg for a rematch. He said we all know Manny's not going to do that.

Gray said he doesn't think Floyd did anything wrong with the fight, he gets why Floyd thinks he's not getting enough credit, he thinks Manny handled it poorly and it comes off that he fought injured "for the paycheck." But he said clearly I can't believe he genuinely thinks Manny is faking injury and faking surgery so I think it really bothered him that Manny said he thought he won the fight ,and that the US fans booed Floyd in the US.

5 years ago I'd love a rematch even if the first fight was identical to what we saw Sat, but now with another year for their skills to degrade not really interesting to me. Manny is degrading faster, another year coming off major surgery seems unlikely he's going to suddenly figure out how to get inside and pound Floyd with the right hand.

they had a guy on yesterday who said I don't know how people missed this but before the fight he was quoted in a major story(US Today I think) saying he could not believe Manny's people agreed to have that ref for the fight. he'd worked fights for both of them, many title fights, but "he has a very strong reputation for not allowing fighters to punch their way out inside, he allows lots of grabbing and hugging and then he breaks the fighters." He said this is a huge disadvantage for Manny against floyd, he'll just grab him everytime he comes inside. He said Mayweathers side insisted on that ref and Manny agreed.

Note, he's not saying the ref fixed the fight he just said that's how he always refs and a different ref wouldn't have just kept warning Floyd he would have docked him a point, and he wouldn't have kept breaking them like that because if you saw, Floyd kept hitting on the break because knew the ref was going to break them. He said other refs would have let them punch out of it in and if Floyd didn't let go, docked him.

He said as soon as the fight was over people were texting and tweeting him about how dead on his article was.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Hard to say. Jim Gray interviewed Floyd recently. Gray was on Mike and Mike this morning by phone. I guess within hours of the fight ending, Floyd texted Stephen A Smith that he'd give Manny a rematch. When he talked to Gray he said no rematch, sore loser, excuses. Gray said that Mayweather repeatedly asserted that Manny wasn't actually hurt it's an excuse the shoulder is fine, and that he believes strongly Manny hasn't properly acknowledged he lost the fight.

Gray said based on what I heard I seriously doubt they will fight again. Gray said obviously the idea that manny is lying about the shoulder is pretty far fetched given they showed the MRI papers and it's at the jobe clinic. But he said from talking to floyd, manny would basically have to come out and publicly say the better man won, he won the fight, my shoulder didn't hamper me, and essentially beg for a rematch. He said we all know Manny's not going to do that.

Gray said he doesn't think Floyd did anything wrong with the fight, he gets why Floyd thinks he's not getting enough credit, he thinks Manny handled it poorly and it comes off that he fought injured "for the paycheck." But he said clearly I can't believe he genuinely thinks Manny is faking injury and faking surgery so I think it really bothered him that Manny said he thought he won the fight ,and that the US fans booed Floyd in the US.

5 years ago I'd love a rematch even if the first fight was identical to what we saw Sat, but now with another year for their skills to degrade not really interesting to me. Manny is degrading faster, another year coming off major surgery seems unlikely he's going to suddenly figure out how to get inside and pound Floyd with the right hand.

they had a guy on yesterday who said I don't know how people missed this but before the fight he was quoted in a major story(US Today I think) saying he could not believe Manny's people agreed to have that ref for the fight. he'd worked fights for both of them, many title fights, but "he has a very strong reputation for not allowing fighters to punch their way out inside, he allows lots of grabbing and hugging and then he breaks the fighters." He said this is a huge disadvantage for Manny against floyd, he'll just grab him everytime he comes inside. He said Mayweathers side insisted on that ref and Manny agreed.

Note, he's not saying the ref fixed the fight he just said that's how he always refs and a different ref wouldn't have just kept warning Floyd he would have docked him a point, and he wouldn't have kept breaking them like that because if you saw, Floyd kept hitting on the break because knew the ref was going to break them. He said other refs would have let them punch out of it in and if Floyd didn't let go, docked him.

He said as soon as the fight was over people were texting and tweeting him about how dead on his article was.

I honestly don't know what or who to believe anymore... What I do know is that Floyd is the better fighter and would win if they fought 10 more times.
There is WAY too much money involved. And they will create as much animosity and attention as possible. Several times over the next 6-9 months, this situation will ride the roller coaster of emotions. At time it will appear as if they will never get together in the ring again - but again, it's all part of the script.
I was just in Vegas and saw the new gigantic outdoor stadium being built by MGM, right behind New York New York. The people in Vegas say the rematch will be timed perfectly with the finishing of this stadium. I believe them... ;)

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what or who to believe anymore... What I do know is that Floyd is the better fighter and would win if they fought 10 more times.
There is WAY too much money involved. And they will create as much animosity and attention as possible. Several times over the next 6-9 months, this situation will ride the roller coaster of emotions. At time it will appear as if they will never get together in the ring again - but again, it's all part of the script.
I was just in Vegas and saw the new gigantic outdoor stadium being built by MGM, right behind New York New York. The people in Vegas say the rematch will be timed perfectly with the finishing of this stadium. I believe them... ;)

Agreed.

Although I don't know if they will get a $100 per pay per view. That is extreme.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Although I don't know if they will get a $100 per pay per view. That is extreme.

If the second fight is anything like the first, I'd rather watch Hagler-Hearns on Youtube for free. Now, that was a FIGHT!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yep at this time Floyd is the better fighter and in another year that will be even more true since Manny is losing his skills faster.

5 years ago I'd have argued Manny could win the rematch, now i don't think he can.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson