Manny Machado

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Dbacks don't have anything but garbage on the farm. What difference does it make?
If it means a playoff run at least we get to see that.
Duplantier is starting to look like a legit SP, Pavin Smith will replace Goldschmidt when he leaves after next year, Varsho could be either C or RF of the future and Drew Ellis could supplant Lamb at 3B or replace him if he’s dealt. ARZ needs to develop their farm. Why would you trade for Machado when it still doesn’t make this team a legit playoff contender and next year he’s gone and your farm is worse than it was? Martinez didn’t cost as much as Machado will. If BAL is willing to take anyone except our top 4 or 5 guys than fine, deal for him. I find it odd that teams with a better shot at the WS aren’t being discussed as much as ARZ as potential trade partners. That’s probably because they’d rather just try and sign him as a FA rather than gut their farm to rent him. ARZ needs to break the cycle of neglecting their farm. They can’t compete financially with other teams so they need to develop young cheap talent to compete long term. Look at CLE & HOU for the most part, they developed their farm and were reluctant to deal their top guys even for Verlander or Cole.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Duplantier is starting to look like a legit SP, Pavin Smith will replace Goldschmidt when he leaves after next year, Varsho could be either C or RF of the future and Drew Ellis could supplant Lamb at 3B or replace him if he’s dealt. ARZ needs to develop their farm. Why would you trade for Machado when it still doesn’t make this team a legit playoff contender and next year he’s gone and your farm is worse than it was? Martinez didn’t cost as much as Machado will. If BAL is willing to take anyone except our top 4 or 5 guys than fine, deal for him. I find it odd that teams with a better shot at the WS aren’t being discussed as much as ARZ as potential trade partners. That’s probably because they’d rather just try and sign him as a FA rather than gut their farm to rent him. ARZ needs to break the cycle of neglecting their farm. They can’t compete financially with other teams so they need to develop young cheap talent to compete long term. Look at CLE & HOU for the most part, they developed their farm and were reluctant to deal their top guys even for Verlander or Cole.

Obviously you follow the farm system a lot more than I do. I was watching ESPN and a group of analysts all agreed that the Dbacks were out of the running anyway because there isn’t enough in our system to make a trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
don't give up Duplantier, everyone else is expendable in the farm

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'd trade for him and make a run....many of our best MLB players are going to be gone in a year or two. I believe a package that invludes a combo of duplantier, Clark, Smith ,Ahmed or lamb and koch or godley gets it done .

You make your run and at the end of year you lose Machado, Pollock, Corbin and maybe more (not sure) restock by trading Goldy and Souza .

Jmo but you a have a chance at a run and you should go for it. Especially in a mid market

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'd trade for him and make a run....many of our best MLB players are going to be gone in a year or two. I believe a package that invludes a combo of duplantier, Clark, Smith ,Ahmed or lamb and koch or godley gets it done .

You make your run and at the end of year you lose Machado, Pollock, Corbin and maybe more (not sure) restock by trading Goldy and Souza .

Jmo but you a have a chance at a run and you should go for it. Especially in a mid market

The radio guys brought up a good point. With the Dodgers injuries this year and the fact they’ll be huge FA players next winter this is the one year Arizona can win the division for the foreseeable future. If we go for it, fail, and fall on hard times the next couple years the majority of fans won’t hold it against them.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The radio guys brought up a good point. With the Dodgers injuries this year and the fact they’ll be huge FA players next winter this is the one year Arizona can win the division for the foreseeable future. If we go for it, fail, and fall on hard times the next couple years the majority of fans won’t hold it against them.
I am in this camp.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Soon our starting pitching staff will be excellent. As will be our closers. The rest of our relievers, very good.

Eventually our hitting will be back to full strength. And, despite all of the challenges, we cling to first place.

In the words of Elvis, "It's now or never." A rental of Machado over a continuation of Lamb (who has disappeared the second half of the past two seasons) could really put us into contention.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Willie D

Veteran
Reaction score
I would hope the Diamondbacks management learned their lesson from J.D. Martinez. Buying up expiring contracts is a crap shoot.

Right now the DBs should concern themselves with re-integrating players coming off the DL. Heck, they're in first place in the NL West. Who's complaining about this and wanting to rent a player who will clearly leave the team in a few months? Is this such a tough question to answer?

OP
OP
P

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Duplantier is a fourth or fifth starter at best. Pavin Smith isn't untouchable. Varsho is probably the closest thing to that.

Give them Souza and Owings, too. We might need Ahmed for his defense down the stretch but he's not off limits by any means.

We should also look to add another arm for the bullpen, or maybe call up Koch as a long reliever.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would hope the Diamondbacks management learned their lesson from J.D. Martinez. Buying up expiring contracts is a crap shoot.

Right now the DBs should concern themselves with re-integrating players coming off the DL. Heck, they're in first place in the NL West. Who's complaining about this and wanting to rent a player who will clearly leave the team in a few months? Is this such a tough question to answer?
they did. which is why they want machado.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Duplantier is a fourth or fifth starter at best. Pavin Smith isn't untouchable. Varsho is probably the closest thing to that.

Give them Souza and Owings, too. We might need Ahmed for his defense down the stretch but he's not off limits by any means.

We should also look to add another arm for the bullpen, or maybe call up Koch as a long reliever.

Duplantier’s issue is health. He definitely has TOR upside. I think Baltimore would take the risk because of his talent and the Diamondbacks would still have Widener/Clarke.

Pavin Smith is definitely looking like a reach ATM.

OP
OP
P

Praxis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Can we trade Christian Walker for a reliever? He is withering away in our system and we're probably re-signing Goldy. I'm also fine with an Adam Jones rental if the Dodgers are really getting Machado.

Edit: We have too many in the OF so it has to be Manny! Get it done, Mike.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard