Mank

Release Date: December 4, 2020
Studio: Netflix
Director: David Fincher
MPAA Rating: R for some language
Screenwriter: Jack Fincher
Genre: Drama, Biography

Starring: Gary Oldman, Amanda Seyfried

Plot Summary: A biopic on the reporter-turned-screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, Mankiewicz is most famous for co-writing Citizen Kane alongside director Orson Welles. Widely considered to be one of the greatest films of all time, it gave Mankiewicz quite the influence in the golden age of Hollywood.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stoked for anything David Fincher directs. no difference here. watching tomorrow night.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Heard it was good not great, that it suffered from being a story ABOUT a great story. That it relies too much on reminiscing for old Hollywood. Let me know how it is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard it was good not great, that it suffered from being a story ABOUT a great story. That it relies too much on reminiscing for old Hollywood. Let me know how it is.

I don’t know if it reminisces too much about old Hollywood... the themes of the movie speak to the world at large both as far as Hollywood, politics and media in general today just as much as they do back then.

That said, as beautiful as the film looks and considering stellar performances, it’s not great. good at best. Definitely nowhere near any of Fincher’s masterpieces and I wonder if I don’t have some confirmation bias even saying it’s good.

very slow, very deliberate movie. This definitely won’t be for everyone.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don’t know if it reminisces too much about old Hollywood... the themes of the movie speak to the world at large both as far as Hollywood, politics and media in general today just as much as they do back then.

That said, as beautiful as the film looks and considering stellar performances, it was good at best. Definitely nowhere near one of Fincher’s and I wonder if I don’t have some confirmation bias even saying it’s good.

very slow, very deliberate movie. This definitely won’t be for everyone.

Thanks for the good analysis, Cheese. There's just so much time and a lot of good content, and it's nice to hear honest reviews like this.

If I want to reminisce about old Hollywood, I'm watching Hail, Caesar! :)

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
I found it boring. I heard on Bill Nye's podcast that he was in it, so I wanted to check it out. Shocked to see that Fincher directed it.