Malcom Butler

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I think great CB’s are a thing of the past. With the rules favoring the offense I think perhaps the smartest way to set up a defense is a terrific front 7 and scheme.
This. For twenty years now the nfl has been passing new rules to elevate the passing game and stymie good corner play. You have to be an absolutely exceptional player these days to be an elite corner.
Personally I think defensive backs should band together and make a stand... for the entire season they should absolutely mug the wr on every play. Play tough 1979 style pass defense all over them. Then see how the nfl reacts to the drop in viewership because nobody wants to watch games with 60 PI flags every game. .... see how all those diva wr’s react when they only have a 200 yard season because all the yardage came on penalties.

Butler... personal issues. Dude probably had to face the fact that he fell off a cliff and can’t beat out a sixth round rookie for playing time. It’s a hard fact to face. I stopped shooting hoops ten years ago for the same reason... suxx when you live your life being physical then suddenly your physicality fails you.
But I ain’t too worried. Vance Joseph is a better DC then most of the hacks around here give him credit for. If we miss the playoffs it most likely won’t be because of our defense

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
This. For twenty years now the nfl has been passing new rules to elevate the passing game and stymie good corner play. You have to be an absolutely exceptional player these days to be an elite corner.
Personally I think defensive backs should band together and make a stand... for the entire season they should absolutely mug the wr on every play. Play tough 1979 style pass defense all over them. Then see how the nfl reacts to the drop in viewership because nobody wants to watch games with 60 PI flags every game. .... see how all those diva wr’s react when they only have a 200 yard season because all the yardage came on penalties.

Butler... personal issues. Dude probably had to face the fact that he fell off a cliff and can’t beat out a sixth round rookie for playing time. It’s a hard fact to face. I stopped shooting hoops ten years ago for the same reason... suxx when you live your life being physical then suddenly your physicality fails you.
But I ain’t too worried. Vance Joseph is a better DC then most of the hacks around here give him credit for. If we miss the playoffs it most likely won’t be because of our defense
Something people forget too is that coaches like players can get better if they are relatively young starting off. Joseph in my opinion is getting better at his craft. Kingsberry seemed to be learning early on and then started to revert with his playing calling and his game management ability is still questionable. One can laugh, but even though Joseph had a failed stint in Denver as a head coach, I think he will garner that opportunity again

tnmike

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Stymie?

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure who has listened to Big Red Rage from this past week? I found it pretty interesting that Wolf & Calvisi speculating Butler retired cause he lost starting job to Marco. Those are guys on the payroll & you could push narrative they trying to hype Marco as well but where smoke, might be fire.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not sure who has listened to Big Red Rage from this past week? I found it pretty interesting that Wolf & Calvisi speculating Butler retired cause he lost starting job to Marco. Those are guys on the payroll & you could push narrative they trying to hype Marco as well but where smoke, might be fire.
I think the "on the payroll" narrative is a bit overplayed here.

I listen to Wolf nearly every morning and he doesn't always seem to have a better grasp of what's going on with the Cardinals than ASFN does. You hear him speculating a lot as well, so I don't think he regularly talks to inside contacts within the organization.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the "on the payroll" narrative is a bit overplayed here.

I listen to Wolf nearly every morning and he doesn't always seem to have a better grasp of what's going on with the Cardinals than ASFN does. You hear him speculating a lot as well, so I don't think he regularly talks to inside contacts within the organization.
I was just meaning that during Big Red Rage, Wolf is getting paid by Cardinals. Just surprised they would speculate on one of the teams flagship shows.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a lot of love for our roster here. Thought Keim sucked!? lol

It's really quite simple to understand:

When you want to dump on Keim you say that the roster stinks, and when KK and coaching are in the crosshairs the roster is fine.

There are posters who've 'mastered' jumping between these contradictions within a single post. :)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think this is almost certainly the case.

Is it a great surprise that a 90th percentile athlete might beat out a 32 year old that's lost a step? ALthough I wish Butler would have stuck around. He still could have contributed on depth. I still think he would see quite a lot of reps.

Seems childish of him to burn $3.5m because he got beat out.

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this is almost certainly the case.

Is it a great surprise that a 90th percentile athlete might beat out a 32 year old that's lost a step?
Not really. But clearly a blow to his ego sadly...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's really quite simple to understand:

When you want to dump on Keim you say that the roster stinks, and when KK and coaching are in the crosshairs the roster is fine.

There are posters who've 'mastered' jumping between these contradictions within a single post. :)
Or it could be that it's a mediocre roster that isn't built for long term success, AND poor coaching.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure sounds like a lot of love for our roster here. Thought Keim sucked!? lol
This is probably the first year in the last 5 that the Cardinals have a decent roster but because of Keim's questionable drafting and free agent signings, it is almost always a year to year quandary. The world changes when you have to pay your QB 30+mil and I have zero faith Keim can work around that.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This is probably the first year in the last 5 that the Cardinals have a decent roster but because of Keim's questionable drafting and free agent signings, it is almost always a year to year quandary. The world changes when you have to pay your QB 30+mil and I have zero faith Keim can work around that.
Seriously. If we had a wealth of cap space coming up (which we had a decent amount of in prior years), it wouldn't be so uncomfortable, but going into next year needing to fully replace the RB position, TE position, and get the CB position some help, along with signing or replacing Chandler Jones, all while in the position of having to pay Kyler as soon as next year is... not ideal.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you remember that you are relying on Robert Alford to stay fit for 17 games

You must be registered for see images attach
Crazy to think he's making his Cardinals debut this up coming week!

OP
OP
Shane

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously. If we had a wealth of cap space coming up (which we had a decent amount of in prior years), it wouldn't be so uncomfortable, but going into next year needing to fully replace the RB position, TE position, and get the CB position some help, along with signing or replacing Chandler Jones, all while in the position of having to pay Kyler as soon as next year is... not ideal.
They may decide Kyler isn’t worth re-signing. Yeeesh