Majerle out according to Gambo

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Heard rumors Turner wants out of his contract so he can join Adelman's staff. Rooks has also left the team to coach overseas.

Bayless2Budinger

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly if he walked because he got passed over for the job, don't let the door hit you on your way out. Knowing Sarver I'm sure there were other reasons so I wont pass judgment yet.

I wish people would stop complaining about how bad this team is. I've wanted to be bad for 3 years now but we kept Nash too long and delayed the inevitable. I wont justify some of the moves made in the past 2 years but Beasley is not our problem, it's time to stop overreacting to a move that was actually one of our better moves in the past 5 years.

Play the young guys. Give Dragic, Johnson, Beasley, Gortat, Markieff, Marshall a chance and let them grow on us. The ones that succeed stay, the others we can move or let go. We'll bring in more young guys next year. It's a good thing. Overreacting to Gentry being fired when he wasnt a good fit for this team has gone too far. Stop clamoring for wins and look for individual improvements in players. That is truly the only thing that matters this year. I imagine that's why they hired Hunter too. He worked in player development and they are trying to develop him too. (Not that I support it)

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In my best Al McCoy voice....

Wham Bam....Thunder Dan with the $arver Slam.

OP
OP
J

JustinD

Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly if he walked because he got passed over for the job, don't let the door hit you on your way out. Knowing Sarver I'm sure there were other reasons so I wont pass judgment yet.

I wish people would stop complaining about how bad this team is. I've wanted to be bad for 3 years now but we kept Nash too long and delayed the inevitable. I wont justify some of the moves made in the past 2 years but Beasley is not our problem, it's time to stop overreacting to a move that was actually one of our better moves in the past 5 years.

Play the young guys. Give Dragic, Johnson, Beasley, Gortat, Markieff, Marshall a chance and let them grow on us. The ones that succeed stay, the others we can move or let go. We'll bring in more young guys next year. It's a good thing. Overreacting to Gentry being fired when he wasnt a good fit for this team has gone too far. Stop clamoring for wins and look for individual improvements in players. That is truly the only thing that matters this year. I imagine that's why they hired Hunter too. He worked in player development and they are trying to develop him too. (Not that I support it)

Where was I complaining about how bad we are ?

I said we are a joke .... referring to our front office.

I also have wanted the same thing as you, to hit rock bottom in personnel so that we could START OVER. Shoot, I wish they wouldn't have signed some of the guys last off season, not because I they are bad players but because I was concerned we might actually have a chance to be .500. Thankfully I was wrong on that one.

Players aside, our owner/front office clearly does not have what it takes. I miss the days when decisions were made purely based on basketball, not money, freinds, etc.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
This front office may indeed be a joke, but losing the coaching services of Dan Majerle doesn't even rank in the top 50 on their list of blunders.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

LOL, Beasley was one of our better moves of the last 5 years? We signed a guy to a 3 year deal who flat out sucks, he sucked before he got here, he sucks now, he is stupid, lazy and uncoachable... and thats one of our BEST moves?

asudevil83

Reaction score
I seriously doubt majerle quit because he was passed over. I have a feeling there is ill feelings for hunter within the players and floor staff for hunter.

Majerle quit
Turner gone
Oneal probably gone

It just reeks of hunter being hated. And with genty's comment or lack there of, this decision is going to be bad news

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
This front office may indeed be a joke, but losing the coaching services of Dan Majerle doesn't even rank in the top 50 on their list of blunders.

Well said.... Majerle was a waste of $$ and space on the Sun's bench.

I never noticed that he gave Gentry much input during games,,,,and if he did, just look at their 4th quarter performances, and win/loss record.

He's a former star,,,,and does much better as a restaurant owner. No loss as he walks away......

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's the way the FO conducts business that bothers me.

I've never been high on Majerle becoming a HC even on an interim basis (which I thought would happen). However, the Suns FO found him capable enough to coach four Suns summer league teams. I think there were some mixed messages being sent to Majerle. I hope he finds his way to becoming a HC somewhere else down the line.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I am a huge Dan Majerle fan, but I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe he'd make a good coach. I actually don't think this has anything to do with him not getting the job. I am pretty sure if Turner or Kokoskov got the job, he'd be happy being their assistant.
This is all purely political. Gentry, a very popular figure in the organization, was being forced out because the new leadership wanted their own person to coach. This isn't really that unusual- this happens in a lot of companies/ organizations. The issue is not that one person didn't get the job, the issue is that 3 people with 30+ years of combined experience were passed over so that the GM's pet with no experience can get the job. Kokoskov is likely only staying because he has a good relationship with Hunter (he coached him in Detroit for years) and he is getting a mini-promotion as well (Lead Assistant.)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score

You have no idea how good of a coach Majerle is. Blowing off and alienating a Suns' legend is a big deal.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this drama and fan/media speculation is out of hand. I do not like Blanks, but all these yahoo's calling him out on giving Hunter the position and crying about the good ol' days is a hoot. People were on this board crying about the Colangelo's and Kerr and everyone else who has served in the front office since I can remember. Were the Colangelo's called the dumbest front office ever for hiring an inexperienced coach when they hired Ainge over others? If you want to cut down on the country club atmosphere, do you hire Majerle? I don't know, but he doesn't come across to me as the person to bring discipline and a heavy hand. Yep, many mistakes have been made, but the drama is a hoot. Yep, the Suns suck right now, but it's what most of us expected and wanted in order to rebuild. Half a season in and fans can't deal. <sigh>

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
He's a former star,,,,and does much better as a restaurant owner.
Not really. His brother ran the original restaurant. Dan is a figurehead.

He probably only shows up to scope out the chicks. As he does during timeouts.

wagon mound 464

Veteran
Reaction score
BC.....I know his brother ran the restaurant,,but whose money is footing the bottom line for the several locations? Figurehead....Yes

Coach....No. Dan will never be a NBA head coach, and would be lucky to get an offer to be a assistant again..

IMO, he was much better as the color analyst on tv/radio broadcasts, than he ever was as a coach.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BC.....I know his brother ran the restaurant,,but whose money is footing the bottom line for the several locations? Figurehead....Yes

Coach....No. Dan will never be a NBA head coach, and would be lucky to get an offer to be a assistant again..

IMO, he was much better as the color analyst on tv/radio broadcasts, than he ever was as a coach.

Really? IMO he was a horrible color analyst. No, he wasn't in George Raveling's class (worst analyst ever by a landslide) but he was pretty bad. I have no idea what he is as a coach so I can't say anything more about the comparison but I'm curious how any fan could offer an opinion about the job he's done as a coach. Other than commenting on who he used to be and how we perceive his personality, there isn't much we can know about him as a coach IMO.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

I have said all along that Dan Majerle is not Head Coach material -- the guy running all court related action. I formed that opinion when I first met him while he was playing and it hasn't changed.

And I agree with Steve that he wasn't a very good color analyst either. I appreciate his hustle on the court, but as written in The Peter Principle, "In a hierarchy, each employee tends to reach his level of incompetence."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have said all along that Dan Majerle is not Head Coach material -- the guy running all court related action. I formed that opinion when I first met him while he was playing and it hasn't changed.

And I agree with Steve that he wasn't a very good color analyst either. I appreciate his hustle on the court, but as written in The Peter Principle, "In a hierarchy, each employee tends to reach his level of incompetence."

It's been 11 years since he played. That's a long time to hold an opinion on something that probably has changed significantly in such a long period of time.

I know you're old, but 11 years isn't short for some of us. ;)

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Aint like it will mess up our season or anything, I wish we were having a better year during the LA dump site and all but homie was never going to get the crown and he knew it.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I am AMAZED at how many people know how good of a head coach Dan Majerle would be.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz