Mad respect

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Congrats to Packers for a great game and season. Too bad only one team could win this one, but I'm glad it was the Cardinals.

I was even more impressed with Greg Jennings than with Aaron Rodgers. That dude is very, very impressive. He is basically uncoverable with one defender.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They were evenly matched. Rodgers doesn't overthrow that pass, and we're the ones going home. Great game, and just like the super bowl either team couldve pulled it out.

And if Rackers make the kick..... :bang:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
No hard feelings here Dan.
Hopefully you see my perspective a little clearer now.
Cheers.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm spent. Back later. Good game.
Sorry about the loss. That sucks man. We certainly know that feeling, and every poster in here would most certainly be lying if we all didn't say "here were go another heartbreaking loss, and one that we should have won". I really feel bad for you guys it was a gut wrenching loss.

The good news is for you guys though is that what you saw tonight if a sign of things to come in Packers land. You guys have one of the best built teams in the entire NFL. I really think the Packers are going to be a force to contend with going forward. Ted Thompson and McCarthy have done an awesome job building that team up. If the Cards lost today I was going to pull for the Pack to win the NFC and have to go to Minny to do it. I would to have seen Rodgers beat BF's ass in the NFCC game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Absolute cracker of a game. You guys have one hell of a QB, as if I didn't know that BEFORE this season (he took me to within a few points of a fantasy football title...damn you, Roy Williams!). The kid's got a bright future, and if you can find an OT to replace the old man, you guys will definitely be back.

Still and all, this oughtta learn you not to talk absolutes in football. I think we ended up with a chance in this game, after all ;)

DevilDon

Reaction score
Grats Cards fans, you guys won this one in probably one of the best playoff games in memory. I can honestly say this is the only loss I've ever recorded and will watch again. I think the NFL will sit up and take notice of both teams after this. I don't know who's scarier in the NFC now than the Cards. I'll be pulling for you to win the NFC Championship.
Great game!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Dan, i was going to say, "Take your stats, roll them up really tight, and stick them where the sun don't shine." But, since you were so classy, I will be too,

"Thanks!" :D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Grats Cards fans, you guys won this one in probably one of the best playoff games in memory. I can honestly say this is the only loss I've ever recorded and will watch again. I think the NFL will sit up and take notice of both teams after this. I don't know who's scarier in the NFC now than the Cards. I'll be pulling for you to win the NFC Championship.
Great game!

I can't believe your teams luck with QB's.

It was a great great game, unbelieveable game, glad we won but I wouldn't want to try beating your team again.

Wow.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the kid words, fellas.

A few things I'll take out/hope the team learns from this game.

1) If Warner isn't the best playoff QB of all time, I'll kick myself. Wouldn't it be ironic if a game against the Green Bay Packers propelled Warner past Starr as the highest rated playoff passer of all time? I don't know how the numbers break down.

2) This team, mentally, was not as ready as I thought. It took a good ten minutes for us to even consider matching the edge the Cardinals came out with, and that's all it takes to seal the fate of that game, even with the large comeback.

3) The oft-debated strategy battle between McCarthy and Whisenhunt last week only showed itself a few times, in my eyes. Whisenhunt had a few things up his sleeve (a reverse that went for big yardage and a flea flicker that might of had it not been for Clay Matthews). Other than that, same variety of plays, but utilizing the surgical precision of Warner versus the... not-so-surgical precision of Leinart and St. Pierre. Also, I noticed that when we split Finley out wide in the end zone, the Cards finally slid a safety over there right before the snap.

4) I thought McCarthy, all things considered, held his own as a coach in this game. The defense is almost entirely run by Capers, and McCarthy handles all offensive duties and game day decision making. The play calling during the comeback was masterful, as was the onside kick decision.

5) Feelings on whether or not each of you, after putting your "coaching hat" on, would have gone for two with the Cards reeling after pulling the score to 45-44?

6) What invaluable playoff experience for the Pack this game will be. First, they now know what they have to bring from the first play in order to be successful. Next, they know that by virtue of eliminating a 21 point deficit in the fourth quarter on the road, there really isn't much of a limit to what this team can do. Last, do you think any of them will ever want to experience this feeling again?

7) Props to Dansby and Dockett for being a force, and thanks to Mike Adams for, well, everything except that last play.

8) Props to Bridges for a more exceptional job than I ever could have expected (didn't pay as much attention live, but watched it again after last night - he did well).

9) I guess we won't ever know much about the running thing. Beanie averaged a high YPC, as did Grant, but this game turned into a track meet fast.

10) Rackers is the luckiest SOB on earth. He would have had his house burned down today.

11) I would consider Capers' first season installing this scheme a success, but the way we've been exposed by veteran QBs all year (Favre twice, Roethlisberger, now Warner) is concerning. It's something I'm sure will be evaluated. Obviously the losses of Kampman and Harris were huge (as were the loss of Boldin and hobbled Campbell, DRC for you guys), but I don't think their return is going to provide the depth we need in the deep secondary and on the defensive line to become an elite defense against quality offenses. Still a few players away and a bit more comfort in the scheme will be necessary, I think.

12) Too much made of the penalty things. Sure, I was pulling my hair out, but I think a roughing call was missed on Chillar (for hitting Warner), the horse collars were ticky tacky, and Jennings was down on a long catch and run in which he gained at least 20 extra yards. Not to mention that offensive linemen from both teams routinely drag people down without a call (obviously, my mind goes to the Jenkins' roughing call in which he was thrown into Warner, but I know I saw it on both teams). I suppose if we're going to complain about refs, we may as well complain about better all around officiating for the sake of the game's integrity.

13) I'm reeling pretty hard. Three of our last four playoff losses ended in overtime turnovers, two of which we won the toss and had a chance to score. But I guess you have to remember that every great game needs a loser, and I suppose there's a silver lining in taking a third quarter laugher and making it one of the best playoff games of all time. Not sure how that will get me through the next eight months, but it's something.

Thanks again for a fun week, and good luck in the next round. I'm sure I'll hang around a little bit and pop my head in from time to time.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
And for what it's worth, I was reading post game interviews, and I'm glad not a single Packer mentioned a call or non-call in relation to the result of the game. This made me laugh though.

Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle got a taste of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers on Sunday, a week after facing him in Week 17.

And Rolle has no interest in a third helping.

"Let me tell you something - that dude is scary," Rolle said of Rodgers, per Michael Silver of Yahoo! Sports. "We have a great defense, and we were up on him and ready to pounce, and he found ways to tear us apart.

"I don't ever want to face him again in my life. I am dead serious. I'll face Drew Brees any day of the week before I face him again."

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
To the Packer fans posting here, you define CLASS. My team won that game, but it takes two to tango and your team came to dance. I can't say it would have turned out that way in your house, but we played in MY house. The Packers have a long and storied history, so do the Cardinals but for a different reason. Our history now includes an all-time classic, record setting, overtime victory against your team. I respect those that show respect. Thanks for the game. Can you imagine meeting in the playoffs again next year? Even the idiots at ESPN would have to mention the rematch.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dan you are a great fan and are welcome here any time.

The good news for you is that you will have a great QB for many more years to come. Rodgers is the real deal. Not to mention the Packers WRs are beasts.

Much respect to your team because the Packers were the one team I really was worried about playing in the postseason. Man what a game.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thanks for the kid words, fellas.

A few things I'll take out/hope the team learns from this game.

1) If Warner isn't the best playoff QB of all time, I'll kick myself. Wouldn't it be ironic if a game against the Green Bay Packers propelled Warner past Starr as the highest rated playoff passer of all time? I don't know how the numbers break down.

For my money, I do believe Kurt is the best post-season QB in the history of the game... I think I saw a stat that now places him fractions behind Starr in terms of playoff passer rating... I could be wrong though.

3) The oft-debated strategy battle between McCarthy and Whisenhunt last week only showed itself a few times, in my eyes. Whisenhunt had a few things up his sleeve (a reverse that went for big yardage and a flea flicker that might of had it not been for Clay Matthews). Other than that, same variety of plays, but utilizing the surgical precision of Warner versus the... not-so-surgical precision of Leinart and St. Pierre. Also, I noticed that when we split Finley out wide in the end zone, the Cards finally slid a safety over there right before the snap.

Yup... another Packer fan here (BTP), kept harping on how it "appeared" Whiz was so "concerned" with McArthy... really?? Whiz is truly a master. He, his staff and the team were fully prepared to deal with the Packers and never once concerned themselves with the meaningless last game of the regular season. The team was clearly intensely focused, totally prepared and perfectly coached to do battle in the game that acutally counted!

4) I thought McCarthy, all things considered, held his own as a coach in this game. The defense is almost entirely run by Capers, and McCarthy handles all offensive duties and game day decision making. The play calling during the comeback was masterful, as was the onside kick decision.

He did a very solid job, though, attempting a 55 yard field goal versus punting and pinning the Cards deep was very questionable...

5) Feelings on whether or not each of you, after putting your "coaching hat" on, would have gone for two with the Cards reeling after pulling the score to 45-44?

This got a ton of debate as it was unfolding right in front of us. In the end, I think McArthy made the right decision. Had he went for two and failed, the game was essentially over and I have no doubt he would've been killed afterward. As it was, they got the game into OT which, given where they had to come from to make that happen was a miracle in and of itself... Then, they win the coin-toss... couldn't have set up any better.

6) What invaluable playoff experience for the Pack this game will be. First, they now know what they have to bring from the first play in order to be successful. Next, they know that by virtue of eliminating a 21 point deficit in the fourth quarter on the road, there really isn't much of a limit to what this team can do. Last, do you think any of them will ever want to experience this feeling again?

The Packers are a very well-coached, immensely talented team that will no doubt be heard from on a consistent basis from here on out. I think they are a better team than Minn and should rule the North for a long time to come. Rogers is a flat out stud. He will only get better after this experience...

8) Props to Bridges for a more exceptional job than I ever could have expected (didn't pay as much attention live, but watched it again after last night - he did well).

Ask Jared Allen about Bridges!! ;)

9) I guess we won't ever know much about the running thing. Beanie averaged a high YPC, as did Grant, but this game turned into a track meet fast.

Yea... But I do think Beanie served notice of what is to come in the years ahead. You guys were the #2 ranked defense in the NFL. Yet we were able to put up nearly 150 yards on the ground... Both Beanie and Grant are top-tier RB's for sure...

12) Too much made of the penalty things. Sure, I was pulling my hair out, but I think a roughing call was missed on Chillar (for hitting Warner), the horse collars were ticky tacky, and Jennings was down on a long catch and run in which he gained at least 20 extra yards. Not to mention that offensive linemen from both teams routinely drag people down without a call (obviously, my mind goes to the Jenkins' roughing call in which he was thrown into Warner, but I know I saw it on both teams). I suppose if we're going to complain about refs, we may as well complain about better all around officiating for the sake of the game's integrity.

Very fair assessment...

Thanks again for a fun week, and good luck in the next round. I'm sure I'll hang around a little bit and pop my head in from time to time.

Wish all of the Packer fans who were at the game yesterday were as classy as you are. I'll never understand why people feel it's appropriate to go into someone else's home, wearing your colors to the hilt, and become a jackass... I normally don't get involved with opposing fans as I normally refuse to get dragged down to their pathetic level. However, it was hard yesterday to refrain from calling out a few. Their degree of cockiness was simply over the top. And it was with tremendous pleasure that we ushered them out of the stadium with the most stunned look on their faces after Dansby crossed the goal line!!

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
"This team, mentally, was not as ready as I thought. It took a good ten minutes for us to even consider matching the edge the Cardinals came out with, and that's all it takes to seal the fate of that game, even with the large comeback."

I think that can attributed to a very easy pre-season and week 17 wins. While the logical brain was telling them that this would be different, human nature being what it is told them that this game would be no different.

Feelings on whether or not each of you, after putting your "coaching hat" on, would have gone for two with the Cards reeling after pulling the score to 45-44?

Pack would still need a stop with 1:50 and the Cards with 3 TOs. Make it and a (made) Cardinal FG still wins it. Not make it -- and you may not get the ball back. I think kicking it was the right call. Had there been 10 secs left --- now that is where I think 2 is a viable option.

Whisenhunt had a few things up his sleeve (a reverse that went for big yardage and a flea flicker that might of had it not been for Clay Matthews).

I think the bigger schematic thing was how the Cards used formation/motion to open the middle of the field. Four of the five TDs were throws over the middle of the field. More globally -- Wisenhunt had more to prove coming off an embarrassing week 17 and saying it was because the Cards didn't scheme. Offensively, he was validated. FWIW -- Whis was quoted on his show this morning that he was surprised at how much the Packers on D stuck with many of the same things they showed in week 17. Capers may have some 'splaining to do (as if 6 TDs surrendered don't do that already).

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
"This team, mentally, was not as ready as I thought. It took a good ten minutes for us to even consider matching the edge the Cardinals came out with, and that's all it takes to seal the fate of that game, even with the large comeback."

I think that can attributed to a very easy pre-season and week 17 wins. While the logical brain was telling them that this would be different, human nature being what it is told them that this game would be no different.

Feelings on whether or not each of you, after putting your "coaching hat" on, would have gone for two with the Cards reeling after pulling the score to 45-44?

Pack would still need a stop with 1:50 and the Cards with 3 TOs. Make it and a (made) Cardinal FG still wins it. Not make it -- and you may not get the ball back. I think kicking it was the right call. Had there been 10 secs left --- now that is where I think 2 is a viable option.

Whisenhunt had a few things up his sleeve (a reverse that went for big yardage and a flea flicker that might of had it not been for Clay Matthews).

I think the bigger schematic thing was how the Cards used formation/motion to open the middle of the field. Four of the five TDs were throws over the middle of the field. More globally -- Wisenhunt had more to prove coming off an embarrassing week 17 and saying it was because the Cards didn't scheme. Offensively, he was validated. FWIW -- Whis was quoted on his show this morning that he was surprised at how much the Packers on D stuck with many of the same things they showed in week 17. Capers may have some 'splaining to do (as if 6 TDs surrendered don't do that already).

Point A - Probably true. Hard to overcome that. They did, but it took a herculean effort to get from where they were (31-10 after the first drive of the third quarter) to force overtime. I would think that's a learning experience for a team if there ever was one. But boy can these two teams put up points in a hurry.

Point B - In hindsight, I think I agree with McCarthy's call. I like the idea of taking things into your own hands versus depending on the luck of a draw in the coin flip, but given the amount of time left, I think a 50-50 shot at the coin flip was better than the chance we had of stopping the Cards offense.

Point C - Capers looked way out of sorts. No idea what was going on there. He changed a few things up, including bringing out the Psycho package (1 down lineman, 4 LB, 6 DB) but that didn't seem to matter. None of his blitzes got home, and we have about three Mike Adams on our defense in Jarrett Bush, Josh Bell and Brandon Underwood. When Bigby went out and Giordano went in, things got even worse. Sure would have been nice to have Al Harris, as I'm sure it would have for you guys to have Boldin. But I think this team's defense has been smoke and mirrors since Kampman and Harris went down against the 49ers just before Thanksgiving. With them, the D was starting to click, and we were within three minutes of shutting out the Cowboys offense. Without them, we blanked a lot of poor passing teams, but played one good veteran QB and he torched us for 500 yards (Big Ben).

Not sure how we'll address that this off season, but we need to get better in the deep secondary, and more adept at getting pressure on the QB against GOOD teams.

For once, we don't have urgency at the QB position (Will Brett come back for one more? Won't he?) but we might in the defensive backfield. How much longer can Woodson and Harris keep up this level of play?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dan, are you sure you don't have a little Card fan in you. Come over to our side, you'd make a great Card fan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard