Lyon to close?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
KTAR just reported that Melvin announced Lyon as his closer.

Personally, I'm not a fan of this move, would rather have seen Pena get the nod.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Every time I see Lyon on the mound I can't get over how much he looks like John Belushi.

Food fight. Food fight!

I agree. I would rather have seen Lyon as one of our setup men and Pena as closer. Either way, our bullpen should continue to be great.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Ideally, I'd like to see Lyon as the 7th inning pitcher, Qualls as the 8th and Pena as the closer.. We'll just have to see what happens from here though. I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last time we talk of a closer change this season.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
Why so soon? Shouldn't he at least watch the guys pitch to live hitters before picking one to finish games?

Oh well. Go Lyon.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Why so soon? Shouldn't he at least watch the guys pitch to live hitters before picking one to finish games?

Oh well. Go Lyon.

Yes, this seems odd to me too. Its so earlier, is going to anoint Conor Jackson the #5 hitter tomorrow? Just seems weird.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last time we talk of a closer change this season.
Remember when Melvin announced that he was moving Chris Young from leadoff to, I think it was, third in the batting order, to turn Young's team-leading homeruns from solo to men-on-base with additional RBI's.

If I remember right, it lasted two or three games. Hardly enough time to give it a chance.

Our manager is a players' manager, giving every position player starts. And Manager of the Year. Hopefully, he'll lead the D'backs to great success this year.

But his attention span is still very short. So I agree with you, Diamondback Jay. There'll be changes regularly. And our players will not be sure of their roles.

If we reach our potential, I'll try to overlook Melvin's seemingly attention deficit disorder.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when Melvin announced that he was moving Chris Young from leadoff to, I think it was, third in the batting order, to turn Young's team-leading homeruns from solo to men-on-base with additional RBI's.

If I remember right, it lasted two or three games. Hardly enough time to give it a chance.

Our manager is a players' manager, giving every position player starts. And Manager of the Year. Hopefully, he'll lead the D'backs to great success this year.

But his attention span is still very short. So I agree with you, Diamondback Jay. There'll be changes regularly. And our players will not be sure of their roles.

If we reach our potential, I'll try to overlook Melvin's seemingly attention deficit disorder.

Oh gawd, another board and another local successful team where the coach or manager is a dolt. Or a dullard. Or stubborn. Or fill-in-the-fatal-flaw-here.

Please don't let this be a trend here.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Stallion said:

I have a feeling this isn't going to be the last time we talk of a closer change this season.

BC867 said:

Skkorpion said:
Oh gawd, another board and another local successful team where the coach or manager is a dolt. Or a dullard. Or stubborn. Or fill-in-the-fatal-flaw-here.

It looks like censorship is alive and well on the ASFN board. C'mon, Skkorpion. Posts are OK as long as you approve of each one?

Right here are three that you evidently don't agree with. So you want to see them disappear?

Last edited:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, BC, did anybody censor anybody?

One thing for sure, you certainly don't like it when I question the self-assured brilliance of amateur managers with no job on the line.

Seems you would like to censor me for daring to have a differing opinion to yours. As far as others disagreeing with me, many of those don't claim a cynical mantel of managerial superiority. A few do.

And nope, I'd rather no fan of the Dbaks disappear from ASFN. I would like to see more tolerance, in the face of proven success but I know that's expecting too much.

Haters hate. That's what they do. On every board here and web sites for other teams everywhere in all sports.

Every now and then, some of you need to be reminded you are poisoning the atmosphere. Chasing away less negative fans. And that does matter to me. I started ASFN specifically to make a friendlier place for fans to share triumph and misery.

You are probably a good guy. Clearly, you are a true fan. Your opinions are welcome here, however annoying to me they may be. But they are not the only ones welcome here and you would do us all a big favor by remembering that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You are probably a good guy. Clearly, you are a true fan. Your opinions are welcome here, however annoying to me they may be.
I appreciate you speaking as a fan, a poster and a moderator.

You must admit your comments here are alot more civil than, "Oh gawd, another board and another local successful team where the coach or manager is a dolt. Or a dullard. Or stubborn. Or fill-in-the-fatal-flaw-here."

And remember, there were three of us reacting to Melvin naming a new closer so soon, considering the Manager's performance history of proclamations and quick reversals.

Skkorpion said:
But they are not the only ones welcome here and you would do us all a big favor by remembering that.

Did I infer, ever, that other opinions are not welcome? It's the variety of opinions that make this board enjoyable. I learn alot from other people's points of view. As well as forming my own.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how long Lyon is, in fact, our closer.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wish Melvin would of not said this and instead let the players actually prove in spring training who the closer should be. I actually like Lyon as the setup guy and Pena as the closer. I hope Lyon is successful but I think down the road we will see Pena get a shot at being the closer.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Melvin's strategy on the field, but both the vets and the kids respect and listen him which is worth more wins than the best tactician in baseball could provide. This Lyon thing is another move I disagree with, you need someone that gets strikeouts in that role.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of Melvin's strategy on the field, but both the vets and the kids respect and listen him which is worth more wins than the best tactician in baseball could provide. This Lyon thing is another move I disagree with, you need someone that gets strikeouts in that role.

Wow - I disagree completely.

I think Melvin is one of the best strategy guys and i think that bears out as down the stretch last year he pulled rabbit after rabbit out of his hat. Not to mention he was considered the "brains" behind the 2001 WS winner. My biggest gripe with him is that he isn't very good at developing young talent or getting the max production out of his guys.

I think the Lyon to closer move is a very good (and calculated) move. Lyon was a good closer with the Red Sox and really was strong the year he got 15 before he got injured. Thats consistently been his issue. An inability to stay healthy. Otherwise my memory is that he most often produces when able to sling it.

And I think the notion that a closer has to be a "strike out" guy is a fallacy. He doesn't have to be - but you sure as hell need a good setup guy who can strike a key batter out in the 8th with men on if hes not (i.e Pena). If you send Lyon out there fresh in the ninth I like his chances to get 3 outs before someone gets across.

Besides as was mentioned in the Republic - it would be very easy for Lyon to slip down into the 8th should Pena prove to be the man or if Lyon struggles. The reverese may not be true as Pena is young and may struggle with his confidence if demoted.

Saying all that I could see Scherzer or even a Randy (who realizes he can't go 6 anymore) closing games by the end of the season.

I'm not saying Lyon will definitely be our closer by the end of the season (its even likely that he gets hurt) but i don't forsee closer being an issue with so many viable options.

Last edited: