Lucas: Star Wars films will be re-released in 3-D

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Why do 7,8,9 or 10,11,12? Hell, there are a lot of good SW books out there that could be turned into movies. Could do movies on Rogue Sqdn alone....

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Why do 7,8,9 or 10,11,12? Hell, there are a lot of good SW books out there that could be turned into movies. Could do movies on Rogue Sqdn alone....

George Lucas wouldn't take someone else's idea and/or script and make it into a Star Wars movie. Unfortunate, but it's the sad reality.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That would be a good one but like Chap said Lucas would never do it. My preference would have been to see the Timothy Zahn books into movies.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
You guys are right. I forgot what a douche GL is! Douchebaggery withstanding without GL we wouldn't have the SW legacy or Indy movies. Oh well....

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did 4,5,6 first. Stands to reason he would do 10,11,12 before 7,8,9

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did 4,5,6 first. Stands to reason he would do 10,11,12 before 7,8,9

Yes but you have to assume Lucas wants to film 6 more films. So by doing 10, 11, 12 he is committing to the others IMO. Considering Lucas says he doesn't have another trilogy in him...is why I doubted this.

Lucasfilm has not flat out denied this rumor saying there are no new films being planned. We can put this to rest.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yes but you have to assume Lucas wants to film 6 more films. So by doing 10, 11, 12 he is committing to the others IMO. Considering Lucas says he doesn't have another trilogy in him...is why I doubted this.

Lucasfilm has not flat out denied this rumor saying there are no new films being planned. We can put this to rest.

Sounds like you are disagreeing for no reason whatsoever except maybe some misplaced love for George Lucas.

It's a rumor--if you'd like to "put it to rest", go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to like the idea of 10, 11 and 12.

Hell, he may not even call them episodes 10, 11 and 12--the story would probably be completely different anyway. But you should probably know because of the ages of the leads, 7, 8 and 9 probably WON'T be made regardless.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are disagreeing for no reason whatsoever except maybe some misplaced love for George Lucas.

Huh? What are you talking about? My opinion is based on interviews I watched about Lucas doing anymore film. What are you talking about? He said he didn't have another trilogy in him. Period.

It's a rumor--if you'd like to "put it to rest", go ahead. Nobody is forcing you to like the idea of 10, 11 and 12.

Lucas film said the rumor is false. It's an official statement. So if you don't want to "put it to rest"....I guess that's your prerogative. Nobody is forcing you to listen to an official statement. I am just repeating what was reported. Obviously, Lucas film and George doesn't like the idea of 10, 11 and 12 either.

Hell, he may not even call them episodes 10, 11 and 12--the story would probably be completely different anyway. But you should probably know because of the ages of the leads, 7, 8 and 9 probably WON'T be made regardless.

This doesn't make sense. What Star Wars law says that 7, 8 and 9 have to be made following the time line immediately after the last film? The one thing I agree with you on is that we will probably never see the leads again on film. The next 3 probably will be about a different story line.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 3D episode 1, you can ALMOST reach out and choke Jar Jar.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sick of 3D. I am sure Lucas will do a good job with the conversion but where will it end?

when the cost outweighs the benefit... basically, when people stop seeing 3d movies, it'll end. unfortunately, doesn't seem like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the cost outweighs the benefit... basically, when people stop seeing 3d movies, it'll end.

Do you really believe that will ever happen? I sure dont? Especially when everything in the technology industry is headed that way to boot.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really believe that will ever happen? I sure dont? Especially when everything in the technology industry is headed that way to boot.

:shrug:

3D has always come and gone in the industry. Remember - the first 3D film played in a theater was back in 1922.

The 1950's are still considered "The Golden Era of 3D."

I'm not a big fan of 3D films. Instead of the plot and the characters...the focus ends up being on how many primo "perfect for 3D" shots can be tossed into the mix.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shrug:

3D has always come and gone in the industry. Remember - the first 3D film played in a theater was back in 1922.

The 1950's are still considered "The Golden Era of 3D."

I'm not a big fan of 3D films. Instead of the plot and the characters...the focus ends up being on how many primo "perfect for 3D" shots can be tossed into the mix.

Technology in it's use is nowhere near what it is today. The gimmicky red and blue cardboard glasses u had to wear etc.., were a joke as well as the quality. Now it's downright amazing. It's not going anywhere this time Brian. Bank on it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've read a couple glowing reviews of Rango, and all of them have one thing in common, they specifically mention how the film is NOT 3D at all and it is the first great movie of the year.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a couple glowing reviews of Rango, and all of them have one thing in common, they specifically mention how the film is NOT 3D at all and it is the first great movie of the year.

Wife and I want to see Rango because we saw a behind-the-scenes featurette on it. The director had all of the actors actually "act out" every scene instead of the typical voiceover work where actors just sit in a sound booth and read lines.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah, was pretty stoked it wasn't in 3D. pretty good movie too, one which definitely didn't need to be in 3D, much like the overwhelming majority of most of the movies that are being shot in or converted into it today.

i get it for a movie like avatar where it's completely immersive and i'd get it if a movie like Star Wars was made today... or for something like LOTR and the Hobbit... but for just like comic book movies in general or EVERY animated movie... eh.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Technology in it's use is nowhere near what it is today. The gimmicky red and blue cardboard glasses u had to wear etc.., were a joke as well as the quality. Now it's downright amazing. It's not going anywhere this time Brian. Bank on it.

+1

Too many theaters and consumer electronics are fully vested. There are some movies that have plain been kick ass in 3D. Some have also been totally unnecessary. The studios will figure it out.

It's just like when CGI all of the sudden became accessible. You had all these movies putting crap CGI effects out there. It was the same with green screen. Everybody tries to cash in without really thinking...does it benefit the movie?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's not like the glasses have improved. Those gimmicky red and blue cardboard glasses were much, much more comfortable than the ones we have now. I'm assuming they're all the same, of course. I saw exactly one 3D movie, and that was one too many.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like the glasses have improved. Those gimmicky red and blue cardboard glasses were much, much more comfortable than the ones we have now. I'm assuming they're all the same, of course. I saw exactly one 3D movie, and that was one too many.

I don't know why they didn't try going the cardboard route. I have seen some sites that sell 3D glasses that have cardboard versions. Maybe it was a cost thing. It might be much cheaper to recycle then to produce those things. I have noticed that some theaters glasses are more comfortable then others. One theater even had Child size that I had not see before. My daughter was happy because they fit her face better.