LSU WR Malik Nabers Pro Day

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Video lies when it comes to speed.

Hell, it makes Formula 1 cars look slow.
No it doesn't. I've watched a bunch of film on prospects then looked up their 40 times and I am always able to judge pretty close to their times.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't believe it. He looks like a 4.5 guy on video to me.

He had his chance to prove his speed but ducked out of any 40 runs, that says something to me.
Not in anyway saying MHJ is the beast that Calvin Johnson was. Not even saying he's Julio.

However, for those that remember people were sort of shocked that Calvin Johnson was as fast as he was. No one automatically locked Julio Jones at 4.3 speed as well. Watch their college highlights. It didnt seem obvious they were 4.3 guys.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not kidding, and some long run where Marvin gets up to a top speed of 23 is far less important than quickness off the line. You know David Johnson was once clocked at 22 mph as well but all Cards fans know he only had average speed.

What in the world are you talking about? David Johnson had ELECTRIC speed his first two years in the league. I mean, that electric speed was on display in his very first game on his very first PLAY when he caught a simple swing pass at the 45 yard line against the Saints, got the corner and then left everyone in the dust trying to catch him. Then showed it again as a kick returner BLAZING past the entire Bears defense for a 100 yard KO return where no one got close to him.

And he kept showing that combo of incredible speed and power his first two years in the league until his knee injury derailed his career against the Rams the last game of the 2016 season. After that he was never the same.

Before that, he was one of the biggest breakaway threats in the league.

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
WTF are you talking about? David Johnson had ELECTRIC speed his first two years in the league. I mean, that electric speed was on display in his very first game on his very first PLAY when he caught a simple swing pass at the 45 yard line against the Saints, got the corner and then left everyone in the dust trying to catch him. Then showed it again as a kick returner BLAZING past the entire Bears defense for a 100 yard KO return where no one got close to him.

And he kept showing that combo of incredible speed and power his first two years in the league until his knee injury derailed his career against the Rams the last game of the 2016 season. After that he was never the same.

Kinda how I remember it too

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
MHJ is plenty fast enough. the tall guys with long strides dont look like they are running fast, but they are. Odunze is similar -- and he was a Nevada track champion with verified times (IIRC)

Nabers plays fast as well and his 40 time validated that. Nabers is looked at as the more explosive player, and his vertical and broad jump validated that as well.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MHJ is plenty fast enough. the tall guys with long strides dont look like they are running fast, but they are. Odunze is similar -- and he was a Nevada track champion with verified times (IIRC)

Nabers plays fast as well and his 40 time validated that. Nabers is looked at as the more explosive player, and his vertical and broad jump validated that as well.
I didn't say he wasn't fast enough. Jerry Rice ran a 4.8 and had a great career.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What in the world are you talking about? David Johnson had ELECTRIC speed his first two years in the league. I mean, that electric speed was on display in his very first game on his very first PLAY when he caught a simple swing pass at the 45 yard line against the Saints, got the corner and then left everyone in the dust trying to catch him. Then showed it again as a kick returner BLAZING past the entire Bears defense for a 100 yard KO return where no one got close to him.

That TD he had against the Saints in his first year he was running something like 22 mph.

Johnson was really fast.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The games I watched with him he worked almost exclusively out of the slot. But that doesn't mean he can't play outside: there are fewer playmakers at the college level (even at LSU), and teams want to put their best guys as close to the ball as possible and give them as much room to work.

It's too bad that Google sucks now; it would be nice to easily find game charting about where these prospects lined up.
His worst game of the season they lined him up as a X.

Nabers is not an X receiver.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I think I would hate him more than Keim if he does that.
Why? Calvin Johnson never won it all fitz never won it all Andre Johnson never won it all dolphins had Clayton and duper couldn’t win it. Now I want one of the big 3 but I won’t hate Monti if he don’t pick one I will take the defense and the running game play. God knows the spread shotgun attack never got us anywhere

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Why? Calvin Johnson never won it all fitz never won it all Andre Johnson never won it all dolphins had Clayton and duper couldn’t win it. Now I want one of the big 3 but I won’t hate Monti if he don’t pick one I will take the defense and the running game play. God knows the spread shotgun attack never got us anywhere
I will never understand this argument.

Dan Marino never won it all. Guess we shouldn’t draft a HOF QB.

Adrian Peterson never mind on it all. Guess we shouldn’t draft a HOF rb.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I will never understand this argument.

Dan Marino never won it all. Guess we shouldn’t draft a HOF QB.

Adrian Peterson never mind on it all. Guess we shouldn’t draft a HOF rb.
Bruce Smith never won a Super Bowl, that means don't draft an edge high as well.

Joe Thomas didn't win a ring, so you can't draft OTs either.