Low carb, vegetarian recipes

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got any? :)

I'm on the low carb tip (not entirely by choice), yet I don't eat red meat, chicken, pork or fish. The first few days of this crap were unpleasant, to say the least; but, I am now feeling more energetic and less hungry (aka bitchy and crabby). Still, I think eating eggs, veggies and processed fake soy meat is gonna get old really freaking fast.

So, any suggestions? And, no, "eat meat" does not qualify as a suggestion. :)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I made this the other day and it was delicious:

http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/chocolate-avocado-pudding.html

I don't see any nutrition information, unfortunately, but it is mostly avocados and avocados are awesome. You also get some good protein when you make the hemp milk to begin the recipe.

You might want to look at some Jason Wrobel's other recipes - I've made the Cilantro Lime Pesto Pasta. It's really good, but it might not fit your current goal.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) half an onion sliced
2) garlic to taste
3) package a cherry tomatoes cut in half
4) broccoli rabe/rapini parboiled form5 minutes then cut up

Sauté onion and garlic to carmelization in large sauté pan. Then put in tomatoes and sauté until carmelized/ broken down. Add salt and pepper. And rapini and cook together.

Really good. Can be made ahead of time add olive oil if you like. Red pepper flakes also nice.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Salad of romaine lettuce, good feta cheese, olive oil, tomatoes, red peppers, and cucumbers all diced up. Add sea salt, boom.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Veggie burgers with roasted red peppers, avocado, goat cheese, and (optional) ketchup and mustard.

Are corn tortillas low carb? Make vegetable tacos with sautéed red yellow and pablano peppers carmelized with an onion. Top with usual toppings. I also discovered that yogurt is excellent on top with hot sauce.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Spaghetti with strips of zucchini in place of the pasta. Spaghetti squash works for this too.
You can also do a kind of lasagna with zucchini as well.

Baked portobello mushroom caps topped with what ever sauces or toppings you like on pizza.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Quelites con Frijoles

Ingredients:
2 oz Lambs Quarters
1 oz Onion, julienne
½ oz Garlic, thinly sliced
Lg pinch Chipotle Powder
½ oz Lime juice
1 oz Almonds
2 oz cooked, whole Pinto Beans

Directions:
1. Heat a sauté pan over medium high heat.
2. Add olive oil. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add onion, garlic, and almonds. Season with a pinch of salt and sauté briefly, not allowing garlic or onions to brown.
3. Add lambs quarter, season well, and sauté, stirring regularly to ensure onions garlic and almonds are not burning.
4. Check for seasoning, and deglaze pan with limejuice. Remove from heat, add a large pinch of chipotle powder and toss well.
5. Greens should not have any rawness left, but should have a touch of toothiness to them.

NOTE: Lambs quarters are a wild spinach found regularly in NY, not sure about elsewhere. Sub any easily sauteed green here. Spinach, arugula, kale, broccoli rabe, whatever.

Very satisfying, and filling. And real real good for you.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Trade Joe's sells dark chocolate-covered edamame. Tastes like peanut M&M's, but they have 7 g of protein in each handful. Every little bit helps.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trade Joe's sells dark chocolate-covered edamame. Tastes like peanut M&M's, but they have 7 g of protein in each handful. Every little bit helps.

OMG this sounds amazing!

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If youre avoiding GMO foods. check that the edamame is organic. If it isnt, its 95% likely its GMO soy.