Lou's Views #2: Dbacks Should Bid Farewell To Melvin & Coaching Staff

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
KLL said:
The Dbacks have proven recently that eating contracts isnt a major concern of theirs... and what must be taken into consideration is that they will be paying whatever prospects they promote (Quentin and Young) the ML mininum..... Also.... some times teams are willing to overlook a player's contract out of desperation if they're in a pennant chase.. have lost a crucial player due to a season-ending injury and must occupy that void....
Disagree. Front offices aren't like that anymore, that's why so many players clear waivers every July. Every team in baseball is going cheaper, nobody wants big contracts anymore unless it's going to come with a lot of money, a big-time prospect, or an impact player no matter how desperate they are. Why do you think the Yanks haven't traded for anybody in spite of Matsui and Sheff going down? Eveyone also seems to be ignoring the fact that Gonzo, Green, and Clark have become so useless that there are literally dozens of players on non-contending teams and in AAA that could match their production at a fraction of the cost.

Clark is suffering from what I pointed-out in the other thread that somewhat is the reason why Gonzalez has been struggling.. he's not receiving as good of pitch selection since they're not surrounded by any legit power hitters... that's the difference Glaus made in his albeit brief time, but not like Im inferring they should have kept Glaus either.....
Also disagree. Gonzo has been declining statistically since 2003 and this year has been no exception. He was worse offensively last year in spite of the Glaus protection compared to 2004 when he was protected by Danny Bautista.

As far as Clark goes, he's roughly the same player statistically that he has been for the past five years with the fluke exception of 2005.

It's the lack of power the really has affected this team.. players being called upon to go out of their usual element.... This where the manager must adjust accordingly to his player's strengths/abilities, but unfortunately Melvin is obviously unable to do so......
I agree. When Eric Byrnes, Damoin Easley, and Jeff Davanon lead the team in OPS you're definitely going to suck. Gonzo, Green, and Jackson are singles hitters and Tracy is doing his best Rob Deer imitation. The middle of the lineup is terrible.

Regarding Josh Byrnes... he's done an impressive job thus far and I look forward to see what deals he'll pull off at the deadline.....I just wouldnt rule out a team willing to take on Gonzo and Green.. especially a team that might be at their final opportunity to win..and are willing to win at all costs...
If Josh Byrnes can get anything valuable for these scrubs, I'd anoint him GM of the year. I just don't see it happening unless we eat the overwhelming majority of the contracts or throw in top prospects. And judging by the vibe around town that the organization wants to go younger and how no ownership group is going to eat $30 million in one season when attendance is horrible, I'd say the odds of us getting rid of these guys is pretty slim.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of these guys are really worth a whole lot if anything in a trade, but luckily they wont be too much of a burden for much longer.

If you assume the team continues its current spiral until deadline day, worst case scenario regarding Gonzo is that the team is unable to find a buyer, in which case you just let him walk at the end of the season, no big deal there and his contract is then off the books. With Ortiz and El Duque already gone, and the fact that Clark's contract is pretty small, the only large salary left on the team after this season is Green.

Thankfully, Green has been much more effective this year than the other guys. His power is pretty much gone and he hasnt given the return you want on $10M, but he has been a solid contact guy. The Diamondbacks have much larger problems than one more year of Green. So really, most of the guys with large contracts are already gone or are leaving in a few months. Chances arent very good in getting anything for most of these players in a trade, but being able to simply do nothing and let them walk soon is not a bad position to be in.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'll never understand the obsession with getting Green, among the other losers we have brought in recently. It will still be awhile before we recover from those contracts, and we are still horrendously bad in the one area that got us to the World Series, quality starting pitching.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bottom of the 6th, your up by 4 runs, men on 2nd and 3rd, pitcher is due up. Ahh, a sneak attack, BoMel doesn't pinch=hit for Vargas and doesn't score any runs. V argas is at 90+ pitches and you don't pinch hit for him and you let him go out in the top of the seventh to load the bases and bring in , not your strike out guy but the finesse guy and he gives up the game.

A brilliant move by, I hope, our former manager.

Az240z

What the hell was he thinkin??????????????????

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
az240zz said:
Bottom of the 6th, your up by 4 runs, men on 2nd and 3rd, pitcher is due up. Ahh, a sneak attack, BoMel doesn't pinch=hit for Vargas and doesn't score any runs. Vargas is at 90+ pitches and you don't pinch hit for him and you let him go out in the top of the seventh to load the bases and bring in , not your strike out guy but the finesse guy and he gives up the game.

A brilliant move by, I hope, our former manager.

My thoughts exactly....I've seen enough to decide that I really want Melvin out of here!

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Disagree. Front offices aren't like that anymore, that's why so many players clear waivers every July. Every team in baseball is going cheaper, nobody wants big contracts anymore unless it's going to come with a lot of money, a big-time prospect, or an impact player no matter how desperate they are. Why do you think the Yanks haven't traded for anybody in spite of Matsui and Sheff going down? Eveyone also seems to be ignoring the fact that Gonzo, Green, and Clark have become so useless that there are literally dozens of players on non-contending teams and in AAA that could match their production at a fraction of the cost.
One possible scenario that has been overlooked on this thread is the possibility that Gonzo might be inclined to restructure his contract to be more favorable/appealing for him to traded.... He more than likely is really desperate at this point to do anything to leave the Dbacks, so perhaps he would consider deferring some of this year's contract and perhaps push some of it for '07 and '08 (his career would be especially expanded if he ends-up in the AL and plays DH)....

I thought that Clark signed for a 1-year contract along with an option and it was somewhat of a bargain... Please correct if Im wrong, but thats the details I seem to remember..... If Phil Nevin was traded to the Cubs at some point, I dont see why it would be very complex for the Dbacks to deal Clark to a team that might be desperate for short-term solution at 1B/DH.. Not saying the Dbacks would get much in return, but they would further create more vacancies to begin the youth-movement....

Shawn Green can also re-do his contract, but I dont envision that happening.. Plus.. the Dbacks dont have anyone close to being a regular RF in their farm system.... unless Eric Byrnes plays RF and they promote Chris Young to play CF, but I dont envision that since Eric Byrnes will essentially be the best trade-bait the Dbacks have to offer at this point...

Also disagree. Gonzo has been declining statistically since 2003 and this year has been no exception. He was worse offensively last year in spite of the Glaus protection compared to 2004 when he was protected by Danny Bautista.
I dont know where you gathered that idea.... Last season, Gonzo finished w/24 HRs, 79 RBIs, .271 BA.... although.. it's lame to compare that to '04 when he was limited by that season injury which caused him to have 200 lesser ABs and play in 50 less games compared to '05... Plus.... he had Finley, Hilldenbrand, Hairston, and Sexon (albeit the 1st couple months of the season) surround him in the line-up.... That is even more menacing than this year's product.......

As far as Clark goes, he's roughly the same player statistically that he has been for the past five years with the fluke exception of 2005.
Tony Clark's '05 wasnt exactly a fluke.... Check his stats in '01 when he went 16/75/.287 in '01... '02 he struggled, but was limited by injuries throught the season... '03/'04 respectively he still managed 16/43 and 16/49 in limited time playing for both the Yankees and Mets.. not too many are suited to play in NY and Clark isnt one of them.... He did that in 125/106 games in 253/254 ABs... He returned back to AZ and flourished since he was back home and out of such scrutiny he endured (like every player who adorns a Yankees/Mets uniform) and settled down some... This year.. without any imposing hitter...he like the rest are being exploited.....

I agree. When Eric Byrnes, Damoin Easley, and Jeff Davanon lead the team in OPS you're definitely going to suck. Gonzo, Green, and Jackson are singles hitters and Tracy is doing his best Rob Deer imitation. The middle of the lineup is terrible.
Only Quentin and Drew seem to be 'legit power-hitters out of the prospects that are on the brink of being promoted, but there's no way possible that either should be hitting clean-up since all of sudden they too will be trying to pull the ball each and every AB..... I dont see any solutions at this time for power to be injected into the middle 3.... Green should be hitting clean-up.. but he too his too streaky and doesnt obviously possess the power he once did..... This is one area the organzation seemed to overlook coming into the season and is one of those glaring weaknesses that can affect them long-term... especially with a manager that is inept at executing small-ball.....

If Josh Byrnes can get anything valuable for these scrubs, I'd anoint him GM of the year. I just don't see it happening unless we eat the overwhelming majority of the contracts or throw in top prospects. And judging by the vibe around town that the organization wants to go younger and how no ownership group is going to eat $30 million in one season when attendance is horrible, I'd say the odds of us getting rid of these guys is pretty slim.
Josh Byrnes learned from the best by being under Theo Epstien and even Bill Lajoie.... He did wonders in the Blue Jays trade and I feel he'll own most of the other ML GMs before the season is over... We're no longer talking about Joe G. Jr who got taken advantange of in nearly every trade he made, but someone who is an innovator and extremely shrewd at what he does....

I again see Gonzo restructuring his immense '06 contract and deferring some of it for '07 and '08...that a team will be in dire need of a 1B and will give a marginal prospect for Clark's services.... We shall see... it will be an interesting next couple of months......

Typically the process is... a BIG trade will happen.. if that doesnt severe as a wake-up call.. then the next step would be to fire Melvin..and all of this will transpire between now and just after the All-Star break.......

Edit: I know you're somewhat into sabrematics... but I dont apply OPS to power-hits necessarily as being significant... SLG percentage is more relevant and unfortunately it difficult to gague that stat when you're pressing soo much in one area that shouldnt completely be an emphasis..

Last edited: