Lost - Season 5 (Spoilers)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The jumping around in time stuff got a bit dizzying but I did like the show. I especially liked the 1 hour recap with the writers so you could get some good background on the show, and what they were going to do this season. Iknow from day 1 they've been promising more answers and they did that again, but I got the impression this time they actually mean it.

If anything disappointed me it was that 4 or 5 times I actually predicted the outcome of a scene that involved a timeshift. Like Desmond being in the hatch, or Locke being the one that killed the people who were about to cut off the hand while threatening to shoot Sawyer. Once you realize which characters were essentially unaffected by all the time shifting, it became easier to guess.

Although I have no idea what's up with Richard, he seems to be the one right up there with Ben who understands everything since he was telling Locke what to do.

Faraday clearly understands a lot of it because he knew 2 things, you can't change time, but he knew he could talk to Desmond because he knew Desmond was somehow special and would be able to use the information later on.

Desmond is Faraday's constant, so that's why he was able to interact with him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Something weird, not one mention of Charlie...not even on the one hour pre-show.

That pre-show didn't mention ANY of the dead characters, including Michael and Ana Lucia.

But who DID they mention? Yep. They mentioned Jin. Who is NOT dead.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That pre-show didn't mention ANY of the dead characters, including Michael and Ana Lucia.

But who DID they mention? Yep. They mentioned Jin. Who is NOT dead.

Good catch. I wonder how they will introduce that one since the ship disappeared.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing is for sure. If you thought as I did that the writers had no idea where they were going and left more unanswered questions and dead end storylines before they now have free reign to go in circles for ever with this new time concept.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, where the whispers we heard in the earlier seasons actually remnants of when people are in the same place/different time?

Did Locke lose use of his legs when he was at the drug smugglers plane with Boone because in an earlier time frame, he was shot there?

ANA LUCIA!

Is Miles Marvin Candle's son?

Does Sun's baby have to go back too?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is one of the only shows on TV where watching it twice, reading a recap or contemplating later is needed to wrap your head around what happened. There have been a couple times where I have watched an episode, went about my business...only to then realize what I had actually seen earlier. lol.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
So, where the whispers we heard in the earlier seasons actually remnants of when people are in the same place/different time?

I think the creators have actually confirmed that the whispers were made by the Others/Hostiles. Whether there's a time discrepancy or not is still up in the air.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Widmore an other...

Is there going to be anyone left to rescue?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What an awesome episode. Things are making a little bit more sense...

Widmore an Other...

We now know how Richard knows to visit John Locke as a child--he was in the hospital when he was born and returned later with his "test". The compass was the same one he asked young John to choose and he didn't--don't know the exact meaning of that, but at least we now know how we got to that point.

Desmond and Penny's son's name is Charlie.

Faraday's mother is in LA, it's gotta be the time travel woman with Ben.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And is Faraday's mother "Ellie" from the Island? The lady in LA is named "Eloise"

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Widmore an Other...

We now know how Richard knows to visit John Locke as a child--he was in the hospital when he was born and returned later with his "test". The compass was the same one he asked young John to choose and he didn't--don't know the exact meaning of that, but at least we now know how we got to that point.

It is not the same compass. Go Here

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great episode. A classic. Reminds me of Season 1.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very interesting the Widmore was an other years ago so he must know something about the island or whats really going on. Why hasn't Richard ever aged? Very interesting season so far I wish this show came on more than once a week or at least had a couple hour episode every week I hate waiting.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Great episode. A classic. Reminds me of Season 1.

You are one of the only people I know of that thinks that. And I pretty much agree with you.

I think this episode is MUCH more enjoyable if you are familiar with everything that went on in the past seasons. There were a lot of connections explained in this episode (Widmore, Richard and Locke, etc.).

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are one of the only people I know of that thinks that. And I pretty much agree with you.

I think this episode is MUCH more enjoyable if you are familiar with everything that went on in the past seasons. There were a lot of connections explained in this episode (Widmore, Richard and Locke, etc.).

I think a lot of it has to do with who the focus was on. A confidant, resurgent Locke, to me, recaptures the heart of Season 1. Desmond also remains a great character. Faraday's storyline is interesting. But Locke remains fascinating because I love the question of whether he's this pathetic man with delusions of grandeur or someone truly destined to be an everyman hero. The whole predestination vs. free will battle rests on his storyline. The show is just another plot-twisting labyrinth of emptiness without it (i.e. 24).

I get worn out on the whiny episodes featuring Jack. He's tortured by daddy issues. I get it. They've only revisited that every other episode the past two seasons. Also, Ben's act is proving to be a one-note act, and it irritates if he gets too much screen time. Hurley's great, but he only serves the purpose of conscience for the Oceanic Six, so the others have to play out their whiny agony for him to play a role.

So, yes, Locke kicking butt and running the show is a big point for me.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that interests me is how Richard is the constant on the island wiht the others but he seems to change allegiances?

50 years ago he was there with Widmore on the same "side". Later he's there with Ben, whose mortal enemy is Widmore (presumably from some incident on the island). And of course later his leader is Locke. So it's interesting that the guy with "tenure" on the island appears to have no interest in leading but I guess that's decided by Jacob not him.

I did like this episode quite a bit.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very good episode. The reveal that Chuck was a member of what appears to be the original others was great. Now my curiosity is peaked regarding, what happened that caused a rift between him and the Others? How did he get banished?

I can see it now. The Others get together in a ceremonial area surrounded by tikki torches and one by one, each writes Charles down on their pieces of paper as they drop it into the box.:D

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe I read somewhere that the producers said that it is the same compass, although I agree, the pictures are off.

Does that mean you disagree with everything or what?

I agree with everything else you said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Widmore an Other...

maybe. or it could be the woman in the butcher shop who's going to hold on to Locke's body. It just seems like it would be too on the nose for this show for the mom to be the one they already showed with the time machine stuff. or maybe i'm just overthinking it. i don't know, they lik to throw us for a loop a lot.

great, great, GREAT episode last night. one of the best IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
maybe. or it could be the woman in the butcher shop who's going to hold on to Locke's body. It just seems like it would be too on the nose for this show for the mom to be the one they already showed with the time machine stuff. or maybe i'm just overthinking it. i don't know, they lik to throw us for a loop a lot.

great, great, GREAT episode last night. one of the best IMO.

Just realized something:

1954 Girl Soldier's name: ELLIE

Ms. Hawking's first name: ELOISE (old woman with Ben)

Faraday's rat's name: ELOISE

Hmmmm....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison