Lost - Season 5 (Spoilers)

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, not too big of a spoiler. I think I read that somewhere else (wikipedia?).

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wednesday Jan. 21, 2009--------It's official!!!!!!!!!!!!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wednesday Jan. 21, 2009--------It's official!!!!!!!!!!!!

THey showed a teaser trailer before the flick "Role Models". I am sure it is out on the Internet if you search for it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am so jonesin' for Season 5, but not as much as I was for Season 3. I hope they stay focused on characters and not on their favorite sci-fi plots. Enough with the Philip Dick. Get back to the philosophical/spiritual battle!

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I'm ready! I am so glad I have a DVR to keep up with all these stupid shows I'm hooked on!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a new LOST watcher. This will be my first time watching it as it airs!

I rented season 1-4 from netflix this past month and watched it all. Very excited for Season 5!!!

Love Desmond, Sayid, Sawyer and pre-crazy Locke. Oh and Hurley :D

I think one of my all time favorite quotes is when Hurley asks either Jin or Sun "So, are you from the good or bad Korea." LOL!!!

Loved the Desmond/Penny storyline!! Jack is a whiny bitch sometimes. And I ship Kate and Sawyer.

Ready go!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple things to help keep track for Wednesday's premiere:

Off the island (in 2007):
- Jack
- Kate + Aaron
- Hurley
- Sayid
- Ben
- Desmond
- (The Late) John Locke, a.k.a. Jeremy Bentham, which is one of the most clever character name switches I've ever seen

On the island (in 2004):
- John Locke, as leader of the Others
- Sawyer
- Juliet
- Miles
- Bernie & Rose
- Vincent the dog, who is the only cast member we are certain has eternal Lost life

Stuck in between on a raft (in who knows what time):
- Daniel Faraday (remember -- Desmond is his constant and Desmond owes him his life)

All of the above characters are given star billing for the show. They will drive the storyline and there will be no separate flash forwards/flashbacks. Everyone else:

- Jin (still referred to as a regular, but whereabouts unknown ... presumed dead ... last seen deep inside the boat that blew up)
- Walt (on the mainland; on the island; seemingly everywhere in every time)
- Penny (as only it relates to Desmond)
- Ana Lucia (!!!!!)
- Ethan Rom (????)
- Dr. Pierre Chang (presumably in another ancient Dharma video)
- Frank Lapidus (presumably back in the Bahamas)
- Alpert (in an increasingly creepy role) and the Others
- Two new major characters, but I don't want to put up any spoilers this early

Those that are gone, temporarily or permanently:
- Michael (yay!)
- Claire (will return for Season 6)
- Charlotte (will apparently return for Season 6; she WAS on the island last we saw her; remember, there were several allusions that she was BORN on the island)

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not that I'm doubting you, but where are you getting this information? (And those "spoilers" you say you won't post)

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well to the clan, Kate!

Can't wait to watch tonight. Sci Fi has been rerunning episodes. Nice to watch a few since it's been so long.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was hoping for more answers, but I think it was a decent opening episode to the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jumping around in time stuff got a bit dizzying but I did like the show. I especially liked the 1 hour recap with the writers so you could get some good background on the show, and what they were going to do this season. Iknow from day 1 they've been promising more answers and they did that again, but I got the impression this time they actually mean it.

If anything disappointed me it was that 4 or 5 times I actually predicted the outcome of a scene that involved a timeshift. Like Desmond being in the hatch, or Locke being the one that killed the people who were about to cut off the hand while threatening to shoot Sawyer. Once you realize which characters were essentially unaffected by all the time shifting, it became easier to guess.

Although I have no idea what's up with Richard, he seems to be the one right up there with Ben who understands everything since he was telling Locke what to do.

Faraday clearly understands a lot of it because he knew 2 things, you can't change time, but he knew he could talk to Desmond because he knew Desmond was somehow special and would be able to use the information later on.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The jumping around in time stuff got a bit dizzying but I did like the show. I especially liked the 1 hour recap with the writers so you could get some good background on the show, and what they were going to do this season. Iknow from day 1 they've been promising more answers and they did that again, but I got the impression this time they actually mean it.

If anything disappointed me it was that 4 or 5 times I actually predicted the outcome of a scene that involved a timeshift. Like Desmond being in the hatch, or Locke being the one that killed the people who were about to cut off the hand while threatening to shoot Sawyer. Once you realize which characters were essentially unaffected by all the time shifting, it became easier to guess.

Although I have no idea what's up with Richard, he seems to be the one right up there with Ben who understands everything since he was telling Locke what to do.

Faraday clearly understands a lot of it because he knew 2 things, you can't change time, but he knew he could talk to Desmond because he knew Desmond was somehow special and would be able to use the information later on.

Was the compass one of the items given to young Locke by Richard last year? Will Locke "be" that kid again and next time know the right answer?

Last year we speculated that Lost was Slaughterhouse-5 with a larger cast, and last night's episode did nothing to dispel that notion. And I mean this in a good way. :)

JTS

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was the compass one of the items given to young Locke by Richard last year? Will Locke "be" that kid again and next time know the right answer?

Last year we speculated that Lost was Slaughterhouse-5 with a larger cast, and last night's episode did nothing to dispel that notion. And I mean this in a good way. :)

JTS

I loved the compass part. Locke asked Richard what is this? A compass? What does it do? Points North john.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Something weird, not one mention of Charlie...not even on the one hour pre-show.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JTS

You must be registered for see images

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Except there are no aliens in Lost, no spaceships, nothing beyond what is already literal or at least theoretically possible on Earth. Cuse and Lindeloff have made that abundantly clear in many interviews.

My current theory -- probably another trap set by Cuse/Lindeloff -- is the survivors of Oceaniac Flight 815 are, in fact, the original Others. Locke and the other survivors were, in fact, predestined to be on that island because it had already happened on the "forward/reverse street" timeline before the crash. I conclude this because I think it's the only way Cuse/Lindeloff can resolve the raging free will/predestination debate on the show without choosing one or the other.