Lost - Season 4 (spoilers)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice highlander reference. :)

I'm also digging a theory that these Chosen Ones are decendants of (reincarnations) of the Black Rock pirates. Widmore was buying the logbook at auction.

The items Alpert laid out for Locke (compass, book of laws, whatever container) seemed like they could be "piratey" items. His pirate spirit sought them out. :shrug:

Yeah that is an intriguing theory you're right they were definitely items that would fit on an old pirate ship but not the knife.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
This was a strange episode indeed. Move the island? That makes sense since there was a conversation about "finding it again." But how the hell do you move an island? It would also explain why Jack can't get back there.

Not sure what to think about Claire at this point. She definitely looked stoned, or at least extremely comfortable. We all know she was separated from Aaron. I'd imagine we'll see what really happened to her, hopefully before the end of the season.

The pirate/Locke theory is a good one, as well as the chosen one vs chosen one.

No way in hell Ben is Locke's father. That would be a horrible cop out by the writers after the previous back stories. That would be a new twist that they would have to develop, making all the previous Locke stories a waste.

Michael is such an ass, he really needs to die already.

The episode answered a few questions, but obviously opened up a whole new batch. Next week should be good.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Remember, the Smoke Monster appeared as Mr Echo's brother before it killed him. Maybe it can be two people at once.

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought but my girlfriend said she thought they said the fathers name is Ben which had us wondering. At one point Cooper said something like you were looking for a father so there I was so we were thinking maybe that wasn't his real father.

it makes no sense of course since we know Ben grew up on the island, but with this show you just never know.

Yeah I don't think that Ben is John's father either... however there are some interesting parallels. This is from an article on EW.com

Locke is born early. At age 5, he takes a test that most likely would have taken him to the Island if he had passed. He didn't. That same year, Benjamin Linus is born. At age 16, Locke is invited to go to a science camp that again would have taken him to the Island. He refused. About that same time, Benjamin Linus and his father joined the Dharma Initiative. The implication, it seems, is that Ben has been walking the path that was originally meant for Locke. Ben was the contingency plan — the course correction — for Locke's altered destiny. But Ben is his own person, of course, and he has done things differently from what Locke would have done, and this, in turn, has created further changes in the original order of things — changes that I think a certain ticked-off, Island-deprived billionaire named Charles Widmore is trying to reverse. The scene at the rehab center between paralyzed adult Locke and his wheelchair pusher, the creepy Matthew Abbaddon — who accepted the description of ''orderly'' with knowing irony — was meant to suggest one way Widmore is scheming to restore the original order: by getting Locke on that Island and taking back the birthright that was supposed to be his.

The entire article can be found at this link: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20198844,00.html?xid=email-alert-lost-20080509-item1

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but man did she look like she had been smoking something.

Well, she certainly looked more calm and better than she has since they crashed. And she was super cool, totally unlike her.

I have some really crazy confusion rolling around in my head now. The doctor happened AFTER his body washed up? Previously, the things on the boat happened BEFORE the island.

Perhaps the timing is really off. Remember that Sayid's boat and the helicopter had to follow exact coordinates. Maybe the dead doctor's body didn't follow those exact coordinates, so who knows what the time differential is?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing that you are big John Locke fan, I would have thought you'd have been all over this episode. I mean, what was the deal with the test? Is John the second coming of the Dali Lama, with this "what object is yours?" concept? And did John really fail the test, or was he purposely picking the wrong object because he always rejects his "true" nature? And was the plane crash caused by the island purely to get John there?

I want the old Locke, man of faith, man of action, warrior poet. You didn't know if what he was doing was right, but you know he was guided by his conscience, and that was satisfying. This new Locke is a slave to his own curiosity and insecurity. He's Alice, Ben is the White Rabbit, and we're all being led down the hole of nonsense. Locke's sense of purpose is no longer one of freedom, but of slavery. Maybe that's what Ben meant by destiny being a "fickle bitch." Locke has been a truly lost soul since his father showed up on the island. It's been a downhill slide into narcissism ever sense. Locke's special relationship to the island no longer seems special. It lacks all the enlightened hope we were first sold on.

Yep, I feel betrayed.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been dwelling on this last episode and I guess I'm surrendering my hope for Locke because it seems the writers are insinuating Locke's kick-buttedness was actually a form of rebellion on his part. Locke is supposed to be a man of peace, of logic, of wisdom, a bridge builder.

I'm arriving at this because the test Alpert gave for young Locke. Locke was supposed to choose items that already belonged to him, presumably a plot device to give us some inkling into the real nature of Locke, and perhaps a nature that Locke has always fought against because of his chronically imperiled self-esteem; Locke wants to be the "prom king," a "super hero," so he chooses the knife, but Alpert abruptly ends the testing session by letting us know Locke is not ready to assume his truly special, chosen nature. The other item he left on the table that stood out is the Book of Laws, which could be any number of things:

- A misrepresentation (intentional or otherwise) of the Mosaic Book of Law found in Leviticus and referenced by Eko in Season 2;

- A misrepresentation (intentional or otherwise) of Aleister Crowley's The Book of The Law in which he pronounces the Satanic agenda: "Do as thou wilt."

- A reference to the Ba'hai Book of Laws, which is the basis for the 19th-century Persian semi-universalist religion.

- A less formal, loosely written Book of Law, such as legend has it were created by French buccaneers seeking to limit pirating among pirates. Honestly, though, these were never written laws. They were codes often included in swearing of allegiances to various factions.

- A formal Book of Law that John Locke wrote in a previous life (future life?) for the Others.

Anyway you look at it, that book had the earmarks of who Locke was probably supposed to be, but he took a path that veered from destiny and he never realized his birthright.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been dwelling on this last episode and I guess I'm surrendering my hope for Locke because it seems the writers are insinuating Locke's kick-buttedness was actually a form of rebellion on his part. Locke is supposed to be a man of peace, of logic, of wisdom, a bridge builder.

I'm arriving at this because the test Alpert gave for young Locke. Locke was supposed to choose items that already belonged to him, presumably a plot device to give us some inkling into the real nature of Locke, and perhaps a nature that Locke has always fought against because of his chronically imperiled self-esteem; Locke wants to be the "prom king," a "super hero," so he chooses the knife, but Alpert abruptly ends the testing session by letting us know Locke is not ready to assume his truly special, chosen nature. The other item he left on the table that stood out is the Book of Laws, which could be any number of things:

- A misrepresentation (intentional or otherwise) of the Mosaic Book of Law found in Leviticus and referenced by Eko in Season 2;

- A misrepresentation (intentional or otherwise) of Aleister Crowley's The Book of The Law in which he pronounces the Satanic agenda: "Do as thou wilt."

- A reference to the Ba'hai Book of Laws, which is the basis for the 19th-century Persian semi-universalist religion.

- A less formal, loosely written Book of Law, such as legend has it were created by French buccaneers seeking to limit pirating among pirates. Honestly, though, these were never written laws. They were codes often included in swearing of allegiances to various factions.

- A formal Book of Law that John Locke wrote in a previous life (future life?) for the Others.

Anyway you look at it, that book had the earmarks of who Locke was probably supposed to be, but he took a path that veered from destiny and he never realized his birthright.

Cheer up! All is not Lost for our dear buddy John. I think that a vastly multi-layered character just got a few more layers thrown on.

Supposedly, when a new Dali Lama is going to chosen, he is presented with the belongings of a past Lama and asked what belonged to him in his previous life. Knowing which possession should be selected serves as a test. But in this instance, we see John select the wrong item, perhaps deliberately. My guess is that John is always selecting the path to become who he wants to be, rather than accepting who he actually is. We are shown that Locke has had a lifetime of denying his connection to the island and yet every action he takes in his life guides him inexorably toward his destiny. I think that Alpert was angry that John denied his true nature, not disappointed that Locke wasn't ready to assume the Chosen mantle.

There is still plenty of show left for Locke to realize his birthright.

Similar to the parable of the Prodigal Son, I see Ben as the "good" son who follows the (island's/Jacob's/Father's?) rules and wishes, even to his own detriment. Locke is the son who strays and denies the wishes, and yet seems to be favored instead of being punished. Locke now seems poised to be welcomed back into the fold (much to Ben's chagrin). It should be interesting to see how this develops.

JTS

JTS

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Questions should be answered tonight. It will be intersting to see the spin they put on the Oceanic 6, as in why they are being chosen as such. Some sort of secret is shared with the survivors that they cannot speak of once they are off the island.

Even though the apparent goal is to kill the remaining people on the island, we know that doesn't happen.

Tonight's episode is part 1 of a 2 part season finale, so cliffhangers are going to be in abundance. Previews are quite promising.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tonight's episode is part 1 of a 2 part season finale, so cliffhangers are going to be in abundance. Previews are quite promising.

Too bad that part 2 is in 2 week, but at least it is a 2 hour episode. Although, I would have perferred to have then split up next week and the week after, but the stupid Grey's Anatomy get a 2 hour next week.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now THAT'S a Lost episode

Ahem.

Attachments

• nervous.jpg
    nervous.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Loved it when Sun told her dad she was the new majority stock holder for his company!!!

You must be registered for see images

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loved it when Sun told her dad she was the new majority stock holder for his company!!!

You must be registered for see images

You are allowed to spoil all you want in here.

With that, what a moment when Jack found out that Claire was his sister. Weirdess thing happened at that moment, I got something in my eyes and they got all watery. I think the island made that happen.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With that, what a moment when Jack found out that Claire was his sister. Weirdess thing happened at that moment, I got something in my eyes and they got all watery. I think the island made that happen.

Or maybe the writers found their rhythm again. I found myself caring about the characters for the first time since the great Desmond/Penny episode. It's episodes like this where they rise about the sci fi/soap schlock.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great episode! Can't wait for next weeks. It sucks that I have to wait on these episodes. I just started watching this show the beginning of this season but I watched all online in HD all seasons from the beginning so got used to not have to wait to just keep the story going. Needless to say it was so addicting I watched all the seasons within a month (wife not real happy was spending that much time on the computer) now it sucks I have to wait to see what happens!

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Hilarious that the odometer in the car had "the numbers". Wow, is Cheech getting old. I knew it was about time for Ben to get hit again.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not expecting too much out of the final episode. Last season's finale was so great. Frankly I really love the second season finale as well. I'm expecting to have my mind blown, and honestly anything short of that is going to disappoint me a little I'm afraid.

Joe

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm not expecting too much out of the final episode. Last season's finale was so great. Frankly I really love the second season finale as well. I'm expecting to have my mind blown, and honestly anything short of that is going to disappoint me a little I'm afraid.

Dude, they're going to move an island. Have you not read the mirror matter theory?

Try this link first so you have a clue what they're talking about.

Mirror matter, if it exists, would have to be very weakly interacting with ordinary matter. This is because the forces between mirror particles are mediated by mirror bosons. With the exception of the graviton, none of the known bosons can be identical to their mirror partners. The only way mirror matter can interact with ordinary matter via forces other than gravity is via so-called kinetic mixing of mirror bosons with ordinary bosons or via the exchange of as-of-yet unknown particles which carry both ordinary and mirror charges. These interactions can only be very weak. Mirror particles have therefore been suggested as candidates for the inferred dark matter in the universe

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED Sun's interaction with her father. You go, girl! Am wondering who else is responsible for Jin's death ... the guy on the boat? Michael?

The interaction between Jack and Claire's mom was great. I think that is gonna be what causes all the changes and problems between Jack and Kate.

What is up with all the explosives on the boat? Who did that?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

That scene was incredible. It seemed to take forever for her to actually say Claire's name.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to tell you this but you'll have to wait two weeks. Lost is taking a week off for Grey's Anatomy finale, I think.

Which is complete BS. We were told that the last three seasons would be something like 16 episodes per season with ZERO BREAKS! Writers strike be damned I call BS!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVED Sun's interaction with her father. You go, girl! Am wondering who else is responsible for Jin's death ... the guy on the boat? Michael?

The interaction between Jack and Claire's mom was great. I think that is gonna be what causes all the changes and problems between Jack and Kate.

What is up with all the explosives on the boat? Who did that?

Do you actually believe Jin is dead? I dont.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort