Looking at some randon PFF QB stats

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
So I was looking around at some QB stats to this point in the season and I came across an interesting stat. %YIA (percentage of yards in the air) which basically is the yards that the ball travels up to the point in which it is caught. Carson Palmer is first in the NFL in this stat and that isn't a good thing because it essentially says that he gets fewer YAC yards than any other QB. Here are some of the numbers.

Carson Palmer 72% or 28% YAC yards

Jake Locker (2nd worst in this stat) 68.1% or 31.9% YAC

Here are the two that have the lowest percentage in this stat.

Matthew Stafford 31.7% or 68.3% YAC yards

Matt Ryan 37.6% or 62.4% YAC yards

This stat really points out how little we are doing after we catch the ball and I'm guessing it is a combination of the offense that we run and the lack of actual playmakers on offense. Yes we have some guys that can make some tough catches, but we also need to be able to dump off some short passes that go for long gains if we want to be a truly good offense IMO. I will also point out that I think part of the reason this number is so high is because we have really been pushing the ball down the field and not really looking for short passes that rely on YAC yards.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So I was looking around at some QB stats to this point in the season and I came across an interesting stat. %YIA (percentage of yards in the air) which basically is the yards that the ball travels up to the point in which it is caught. Carson Palmer is first in the NFL in this stat and that isn't a good thing because it essentially says that he gets fewer YAC yards than any other QB. Here are some of the numbers.

This stat really points out how little we are doing after we catch the ball and I'm guessing it is a combination of the offense that we run and the lack of actual playmakers on offense. Yes we have some guys that can make some tough catches, but we also need to be able to dump off some short passes that go for long gains if we want to be a truly good offense IMO. I will also point out that I think part of the reason this number is so high is because we have really been pushing the ball down the field and not really looking for short passes that rely on YAC yards.

Interesting stat and I do think you that BA does like to throw the ball downfield more than go for short passes that rely on YAC. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds as the season progresses.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too surprising we don't have speed WR's who break plays after the catch, and with Housler out it's startling how slow we are at TE. Someone mentioned it sunday, Dray is doing a very nice job but like Jeff King he is glacially slow. At least twice Sunday it looked like he could get a first down and he came up well short because he's so slow.

There was another play where Palmer hit Floyd in stride on a slant and I'm thinking he's going to get a big one here, and Floyd's man came up and tackled him like it was easy. We just aren't making any plays after the catch, some on Palmer, lots on the guys catching the ball IMO.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not too surprising we don't have speed WR's who break plays after the catch, and with Housler out it's startling how slow we are at TE. Someone mentioned it sunday, Dray is doing a very nice job but like Jeff King he is glacially slow. At least twice Sunday it looked like he could get a first down and he came up well short because he's so slow.

There was another play where Palmer hit Floyd in stride on a slant and I'm thinking he's going to get a big one here, and Floyd's man came up and tackled him like it was easy. We just aren't making any plays after the catch, some on Palmer, lots on the guys catching the ball IMO.

Dray is doing his best and at this point thank goodness we have him. He just isn't athletic enough to be a starting TE in the NFL. Hopefully by the end of the season he is only seeing the field on ST's.

I think/hope as the chemistry between CP and the receivers improves we will see more YAC. Getting Housler back will help and as Ellington gets more touches he has moves to get a ton of YAC.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dray is doing his best and at this point thank goodness we have him. He just isn't athletic enough to be a starting TE in the NFL. Hopefully by the end of the season he is only seeing the field on ST's.

I think/hope as the chemistry between CP and the receivers improves we will see more YAC. Getting Housler back will help and as Ellington gets more touches he has moves to get a ton of YAC.

Oh I love Dray saw him tons in college, I'm just pointing out some reasons why our YAC is so bad. He had a couple of plays Sunday where it just so obvious how slow he is. He blocks, he catches the ball and he doesn't make mistakes, he's a very reliable guy, just has no speed.

I was really more concerned with the Floyd play, at his size and ability you gotta get more yards than that. But then it was almost the same play the game ended on with Honey nailing their WR short of the first down.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Couldn't the percentage figure be a bit misleading, because it ignores Total yards?

You could have a good YAC percentage but lower YAC yardage if your overall total yards were feeble. Conversely, Palmer and Arians like to go deep a lot so that Carson's total yardage per pass or per completion figure to be above average, ergo his YAC yardage ranking among QB's is probably better than his YAC % ranking among QB's.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Couldn't the percentage figure be a bit misleading, because it ignores Total yards?

You could have a good YAC percentage but lower YAC yardage if your overall total yards were feeble. Conversely, Palmer and Arians like to go deep a lot so that Carson's total yardage per pass or per completion figure to be above average, ergo his YAC yardage ranking among QB's is probably better than his YAC % ranking among QB's.
Palmer does have more yards per completion than Matt Ryan, but Stafford (12.2 YPC)is a little better in that stat than Palmer (11.9 YPC). Also Palmer is 13th in passing yards and all 12 ahead of him have a significantly higher percentage of YAC yards. They don't actually have stat for actual YAC yards, but there are at least a few QBs with fewer YAC yards than Palmer (Prior and Locker to name a couple).

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palmer does have more yards per completion than Matt Ryan, but Stafford (12.2 YPC)is a little better in that stat than Palmer (11.9 YPC). Also Palmer is 13th in passing yards and all 12 ahead of him have a significantly higher percentage of YAC yards. They don't actually have stat for actual YAC yards, but there are at least a few QBs with fewer YAC yards than Palmer (Prior and Locker to name a couple).

maybe because his receivers cant get seperation. We make the catches while blanketed. Whenever we do have a guy wide open it is usually in the end zone so they cannot YAC.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I have wondered too why our WRs are so blanketed upon the catch. It is a credit to our Qb for squeezing the ball in to them on most throws. Many of his throws are perfect but dropped also because the WR is so covered and gets the ball knocked out of his hands.

Maybe it is our lack of a respectable running game which has always been part of it. But speed has a lot to do with it too.

It just doesn't seem like, even in the quick throws to the WR at or behind the line of scrimmage, that our guys have time to turn around and then make a play to get by the first tackler/defender. Hopefully we can address the speed issue in coming drafts. Some changes need to be made to change this weakness in our passing game.

PS. I am still very disappointed/disillusioned with the play of Michael Floyd. Always felt it was a poor draft choice, especially that high of one.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have wondered too why our WRs are so blanketed upon the catch. It is a credit to our Qb for squeezing the ball in to them on most throws. Many of his throws are perfect but dropped also because the WR is so covered and gets the ball knocked out of his hands.

Maybe it is our lack of a respectable running game which has always been part of it. But speed has a lot to do with it too.

It just doesn't seem like, even in the quick throws to the WR at or behind the line of scrimmage, that our guys have time to turn around and then make a play to get by the first tackler/defender. Hopefully we can address the speed issue in coming drafts. Some changes need to be made to change this weakness in our passing game.

PS. I am still very disappointed/disillusioned with the play of Michael Floyd. Always felt it was a poor draft choice, especially that high of one.

I can't figure floyd out, He's clearly improved but again Sunday Palmer on one play had to move him, and on the next had to call timeout because he was trying to move Floyd. It's like at this stage of his career you better have a QB who pays attention because he's still lining up incorrectly. One of them was a case of if we snap the ball it's a penalty because he was too far off the line and Palmer had to move him forward so we had enough players at the LOS.

I think he's going to be pretty good but the key for him to be great is to put in the time to learn the plays.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If and when CP and his receivers can more consistently hook up on long patterns, it will discourage defenders from playing too tight on shorter routes or risk getting burned deep.

At least right now, they don't have the fear.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That stat doesn't mean much. So a 1 yard pass/screen that goes another 9 yards 90% YAC beats out a 20 yard 0% YAC catch? Reminds me of dink dunk checkdown passers to pad stats and completion %.

A catch is a catch. Compared to our last three seasons I'm happy with our current situation.

OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That stat doesn't mean much. So a 1 yard pass/screen that goes another 9 yards 90% YAC beats out a 20 yard 0% YAC catch? Reminds me of dink dunk checkdown passers to pad stats and completion %.

A catch is a catch. Compared to our last three seasons I'm happy with our current situation.

Not necessarily true. Stafford averages more yards per completion than Palmer despite being on the other end of the spectrum in YAC%.

Also don't get me wrong I am in no way knocking Palmer and I am very happy with the improvement of the offense, but I would certainly like to see more yards after the catch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. Stafford averages more yards per completion than Palmer despite being on the other end of the spectrum in YAC%.

Also don't get me wrong I am in no way knocking Palmer and I am very happy with the improvement of the offense, but I would certainly like to see more yards after the catch.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Isn't Stafford like .2 better than Palmer in yards per completion.

Our QBR is way up. Sack % down. Yards per attempt is up. Yards per completion is up. Net Yards per attempt is up. Interception % is down, well give Carson time :p

Last year in the game in St.Louis plus the Lions game in Arizona we had 478 yards of offense. This year we've had 738! I'm happy.

Now about that defense. :D

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Not sure what there is to complain about our passing game has been good.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:yeahthat:

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I suspect that after only two games, Stafford's YAC% stat is distorted by Reggie Bush's 77-yard TD in week 1 a certain 10-yard slant to Calvin Johnson that went for a 72-yard TD against the Cardinals.

Of course it would be nice if the Cardinals had a couple plays like that but it's only been two games so i wouldn't draw broad conclusions from the YAC% stat just yet.

...dave

Last edited:
OP
OP
CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I suspect that after only two games, Stafford's YAC% stat is distorted by Reggie Bush's 77-yard TD in week 1 a certain 10-yard slant to Calvin Johnson that went for a 72-yard TD against the Cardinals.

Of course it would be nice if the Cardinals had a couple plays like that but it's only been two games so i wouldn't draw broad conclusions from the YAC% stat just yet.

...dave
Good point and in Stafford's situation it very well may be those 2 plays that are driving that number so high up, but those plays are bound to occasionally happen when those guys touch the ball. I still however am hoping to see more YAC yards for our team as this season progresses. Getting the ball to PP, Ellington and Housler (once he's healthy) more often should help that number go up. This is one stat where it would have been nice to have kept Hawkins around because we don't exactly have a plethora of guys that are good in the open field.

Last edited: