Locker room unhappy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw a clip of a mic'ed up Antoine Bethea from the 49'ers game saying to Patrick Peterson on the sidelines after Petersons interception..."why didn't you cut back?" referring to Patrick's run back effort.

Wow!!!! Really...a teammate asking you that after a huge momentum building play?????

He then goes on to say to Patrick..."the LSU P I know would've taken that one to the house. He would've cut back!"

Peterson's response was something like.. "there were two 49'ers behind me".

WHAT!!!!!!!!!????????

There was something odd about that run back after the interception. Just looked weird. Then it got even weirder when Patrick ran to do some sort of weird pose with a couple other Cardinals for the cameras.

Yeah...this team under Wilks is in full disarray.

It's toward the end of this VIDEO if you haven't seen it.

Also...maybe I'm in the minority here...it just seemed weird to me and in my mind perhaps further illustrates the state of confusion this team is in under this new coaching staff and system.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Teh part of that play that bugged me was that Reddick slowed up. He could have blocked the one guy allowing PP to score but he slowed up and I have no idea why.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Maybe I’m being selfish, but at my age, I’m not about to sit around watching this garbage football for 3 years to supposedly be fair to Wilks.

It's a business.

If it is a poor product, why watch ?

I am not going out of my way to watch the Viking's game at 1pm this Sunday. I got stuff to do, and to stop what I am doing mid-day to watch a team get pummeled and play non-entertaining football is not how I am going to spend my time.

I did enough of that, for too many years as a Cardinals fan.

If this team was AT LEAST entertaining maybe I would watch, but the first 5 games of this year have been painfully boring.

Last edited:

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seattle is a mess. 9ers are a mess. Rams window is 2 years long. And

Cards have a potential QBOF in rookie contract
Cards have a top 5 overall draft pick and all other round picks are still intact
Cards have a top 10 RB in the league.
Cards have top 3 CB in league in his prime
95+ million cap space to add talent

And if M. Bidwill has 1% doubt on Wilks and Keim going into 2019, he gotta CLEAN the house.

M.Bidwill may never ever have his team so appealing due to above reasons for potential head coaching candidates again.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Actually I agree with Bethea. All Peterson had to do was beat the qb and he would have had a td. He didn't even try.

Peterson should never again be put back to return a punt after that effort.

Also, what the hell is wrong with him wanting to celebrate like it's 1999 every time he makes a play. I am losing respect for him, seems like he is more interested in self promotion than winning.

Bethea just knew if PP didn't take it to the house we weren't getting any points. :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's a business.

I am not going out of my way to watch the Viking's game at 1pm this Sunday. I got stuff to do, and to stop what I am doing mid-day to watch a team get pummeled and play non-entertaining football is not how I am going to spend my time.

If this team was AT LEAST entertaining maybe I would watch, but the first 5 games of this year have been painfully boring.

I've been time-shifting my Cards games for the last couple of years. I have no regrets about it. I can have one beer per quarter while fastforwarding through endless commercials once the kids are in bed.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe I’m being selfish, but at my age, I’m not about to sit around watching this garbage football for 3 years to supposedly be fair to Wilks. Most on this board understand that the likelihood of Wilks turning this hot mess around might be 5%. At least if we go 1-15, we have a chance that Michael will clean house & we can sell a prospective good coach that we’re just a couple years removed from being a legit franchise. The longer Wilks is around, the greater the chance we won’t be able to attract a HC that is legit. And, oh by the way, NO MORE DC/HC types.

I have always preferred defensive football... but y'all are right... the league wants more offense, is changing the rules to increase offense... we need a HC to take advantage of that.

BA had a great first season but much of that was due to the fact he inherited a pretty damned good roster that whiz was ruining.

this roster is not as solid as the one BA inherited...we still have talent but not in the same way.... choosing a coach with a different formation philosophy hurt us pretty bad. Had we stayed a 3-4 team...a LB, a couple WR's...and we were a 10-11 win team with bradford and rosen in the mix.

we put lots of resources into our secondary...which is cool... but then poorly spent resources on the oline...cutting veldheer just to sign smith was a bonehead move... JV was declining, but he is still better than smith.

wilks has a road to travel with the changes he wants to make...that road is made longer due to his choice in offensive coordinators

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's a business.

Errr….. Painful

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would wonder if the lockerroom wouldn't be a mess.

This whole HC/OC thing is bad.

Guys that were at least average and had a okay career do lose there job and others don't get used right others don't even get a look ...

It's pathetic.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Arians just had that way about him. The players related to the cool uncle, but he could come down on them too. A delicate balance for a man with no filter. Tough love.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Actually I agree with Bethea. All Peterson had to do was beat the qb and he would have had a td. He didn't even try.

Peterson should never again be put back to return a punt after that effort.

Also, what the hell is wrong with him wanting to celebrate like it's 1999 every time he makes a play. I am losing respect for him, seems like he is more interested in self promotion than winning.

Yeah...yeah. I totally agree with Bethea as well. Sorry maybe I didn't express that well in my first post. I liked that he gave Peterson some crap for that as an All-Pro Peterson would've made that cut and taking it to the house. Weird that he didn't. Makes me think Peterson isn't buying this whole Wilks thing and isn't giving it his all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Arians just had that way about him. The players related to the cool uncle, but he could come down on them too. A delicate balance for a man with no filter. Tough love.
Arians was tough but fair. He held players accountable. The coach thing (Amos) was different. He made players believe the play on the field was about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X's and O's despite being a very good offensive coach. That is why players on the team always took the accountability for losses when fans would question coaching.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Also, regardless of how we fans view Sam Bradford, the players view it very differently. They were told Sam was the guy when the franchise spent 15 mil on him. They understood what happens once Rosen got drafted, but most players don't ever want to see the money of their teammates impacted in a negative way. Bucannon being benched in a contract year doesn't play well. Bradford being inactive and costing him money makes players feel like the organization is blaming Sam for being who Sam has always been. It paints the organization as a group who won't admit it when they make a mistake, and will dump the blame on the guys.

Also something to consider. Belichick has been able to do the things he has in New England because of how he grinds on Tom Brady. That works if you are winning titles because football players are trained to believe QBs get the best treatment. In Arizona, players will think if this can happen to Bradford, a 15 mil vet QB, I could be next. When you aren't winning, guys check out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Arians was tough but fair. He held players accountable. The coach thing (Amos) was different. He made players believe the play on the field was about the Jimmys and the Joes, not the X's and O's despite being a very good offensive coach. That is why players on the team always took the accountability for losses when fans would question coaching.

Arians gave the team a decided strategic advantage on game day. If the game was close going into the 4th quarter, everyone believed that Arians was going to make the right decisions.

Hard to believe anyone can feel that way about Wilks.

OP
OP
B

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Also, water is wet.

This is good to hear...we need this thing to burn to the ground this year.

I think if we lose the next 3 games without considerably improving, I will feel this way too. Right now, I want to get rid of McCoy and see if anything changes for the better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's weird. Wilks is doing the kind of things you do when you have a toxic locker room culture/culture of losing. This team was 8-8 last season with garbage under center for half the year. It's very strange.

OTOH, Carolina's defense has been trash this season, so maybe Wilks has some goods?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's weird. Wilks is doing the kind of things you do when you have a toxic locker room culture/culture of losing. This team was 8-8 last season with garbage under center for half the year. It's very strange.

OTOH, Carolina's defense has been trash this season, so maybe Wilks has some goods?
Honestly, It seems like every defense has been underwhelming this season sans Chicago & Tennessee.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Also, regardless of how we fans view Sam Bradford, the players view it very differently. They were told Sam was the guy when the franchise spent 15 mil on him. They understood what happens once Rosen got drafted, but most players don't ever want to see the money of their teammates impacted in a negative way. Bucannon being benched in a contract year doesn't play well. Bradford being inactive and costing him money makes players feel like the organization is blaming Sam for being who Sam has always been. It paints the organization as a group who won't admit it when they make a mistake, and will dump the blame on the guys.

Also something to consider. Belichick has been able to do the things he has in New England because of how he grinds on Tom Brady. That works if you are winning titles because football players are trained to believe QBs get the best treatment. In Arizona, players will think if this can happen to Bradford, a 15 mil vet QB, I could be next. When you aren't winning, guys check out.

we also dont see what transpires in practice and meetings. If the coaches were undercutting SB in practice, giving away his reps, then blaming him for the offensive issues...that wouldnt sit well either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson