Letting Chriss go was a mistake

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kidding or not, you might actually be right. Chriss is a HUGE long shot but he has a lot of physical gifts. If by some small chance it all comes together for him, he could become a top 20 player and think how we'll feel every time we see him then.
There are lots of players with physical gifts that just do not pan out. Archie Goodwin is an example.

If we are to reminisce on players with physical gifts then Derrick Jones Jr is the one I’d rather have back than Chriss.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are lots of players with physical gifts that just do not pan out. Archie Goodwin is an example.

If we are to reminisce on players with physical gifts then Derrick Jones Jr is the one I’d rather have back than Chriss.

I don't disagree at all but viewing from a distance we had no pressing need to trade Chriss when we did. And he had displayed far more development than either Jones or Archie Goodwin.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree at all but viewing from a distance we had no pressing need to trade Chriss when we did. And he had displayed far more development than either Jones or Archie Goodwin.

My guess is Chriss was a headache (see summer league) and when they saw an opportunity to move him they did. It would have been nice to get more for Chriss but the Rockets didn't even pick up his option which says a lot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My guess is Chriss was a headache (see summer league) and when they saw an opportunity to move him they did. It would have been nice to get more for Chriss but the Rockets didn't even pick up his option which says a lot.

Sure but I'm only talking about it from an outsider's perspective. If we hadn't made so many glaring blunders I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that they had legitimate reasons that go well beyond what we see.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Titanic’s sinking and you’re talking about whether or not we should’ve tried to save one of the deck chairs.

Is that a mixed metaphor or a mixed up metaphor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Titanic’s sinking and you’re talking about whether or not we should’ve tried to save one of the deck chairs.

Is that a mixed metaphor or a mixed up metaphor?

Not at all, maybe you missed the posts that led up to this?

I don't like Chriss, I don't believe we'd be a better team right now if we still had him, and I don't believe he will ever amount to anything more than a wasted pick. But those are just fan opinions with little substance to support them. It would have cost us very little to continue to work with him. Unless we had a very good undisclosed reason to part ways now, it would have made more sense to extend him (and probably Bender too) and take every minute allowed us to see if either of them could become the players we thought they'd become when we spent high picks on them.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Not at all, maybe you missed the posts that led up to this?

I don't like Chriss, I don't believe we'd be a better team right now if we still had him, and I don't believe he will ever amount to anything more than a wasted pick. But those are just fan opinions with little substance to support them. It would have cost us very little to continue to work with him. Unless we had a very good undisclosed reason to part ways now, it would have made more sense to extend him (and probably Bender too) and take every minute allowed us to see if either of them could become the players we thought they'd become when we spent high picks on them.
I'm thinking that it was more a case of him standing in the way of candidates for the PF position with more potential/less problems.

It also undid the problems caused by drafting two players for the same position in the same draft. Too much ongoing internal competition throughout the season.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the suns could find someone like him? Does he have any kids?

Bryan Colangelo. And he was a previous GM for the Suns.

There is some history with the 76ers to read.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
Just hope we get lucky in the draft. Zion will be everything you wanted chriss to be and more.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was browsing the Rockets forum and found this interesting take(s) on Chriss from Rockets fans

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...ss-is-the-biggest-scrub-in-the-league.295650/

Pretty incredible for them to feel that way about Chriss considering Knight is also on the team.

That's a good find. I see that Chriss is still shooting 50% on dunks, which is sad. I thought people here were hard on Bender at times, and others, but they ripped Chriss apart. It's not that he doesn't deserve it but I almost felt bad for him by the time I finished reading that thread.

I think this was my favorite post from the thread...

You must be registered for see images attach

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chriss may be a slow starter like Noah Vonleh.

Vonleh is only starting to look like a player at age 23. It's quite possible for Chriss to do the same as he is still only 21. They appear to have a lot of the same tools. Chriss needs to improve his 3 point shooting and rebounding though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Vonleh is only starting to look like a player at age 23. It's quite possible for Chriss to do the same as he is still only 21. They appear to have a lot of the same tools. Chriss needs to improve his 3 point shooting and rebounding though.

Mostly Chriss needs to join Dorothy on her quest to see the wizard. A heart and a brain and he'll be ready to go. Then, of course, he can work a bit on his outside shot and perhaps stop trying to go viral every time he dunks the ball. Give him those and I think most teams could live with his less than stellar rebounding.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mostly Chriss needs to join Dorothy on her quest to see the wizard. A heart and a brain and he'll be ready to go. Then, of course, he can work a bit on his outside shot and perhaps stop trying to go viral every time he dunks the ball. Give him those and I think most teams could live with his less than stellar rebounding.

Chriss definitely needs to mature. Hopefully with time it happens even if he doesn't visit make the trip with Dorothy.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think it's unlikely he ever becomes a quality NBA player. Some fans talked about how he was more interested in football on that Rockets board. I do remember hearing something like that as well. He ended up growing too tall to be a quality NFL player so he went into basketball and guaranteed money. That would also make sense as to why he doesn't seem to care that he sucks. His attitude is terrible and that's obvious just by watching any game he's in or on the bench for. With his option declined for next season we'll see what happens but I'd be surprised if he makes it another 2 full seasons in the league beyond this one.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's unlikely he ever becomes a quality NBA player. Some fans talked about how he was more interested in football on that Rockets board. I do remember hearing something like that as well. He ended up growing too tall to be a quality NFL player so he went into basketball and guaranteed money. That would also make sense as to why he doesn't seem to care that he sucks. His attitude is terrible and that's obvious just by watching any game he's in or on the bench for. With his option declined for next season we'll see what happens but I'd be surprised if he makes it another 2 full seasons in the league beyond this one.

Maybe as Chriss grows older he will realize he is throwing millions of dollars away if he is not taking basketball seriously. Some players never learn though.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The discussion of who is better, Bender or Chriss, fell flat as the answer is neither.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The discussion of who is better, Bender or Chriss, fell flat as the answer is neither.

Bender is clearly better right now. Chriss is on the sideline moping, Bender is on the sideline cheering his teammates on. Clear win. If you can only keep one cheerleader, we chose wisely.