Letting Chriss go was a mistake

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Can't tell me he wouldn't contribute more than Anderson.

Chriss was along with Len our best defender, best help defender, shotblocker.

Can't tell me Ayton would not look better on defense if he was not always the only guy on the court that is expected to challenge drivers that go through our putrid perimeter defense while simultaneously expected to cover Al Horford to not give up a 3pter.

What makes matters even more ridiculous is that we declined the option on Dragan Bender anyway showing we had no interest in keeping Bender either.

Ryan McDonough was truly an awful GM. His reasoning was that Chriss is a poor fit next to Ayton, baloney.

Hopefully our next GM is smart enough to build a team that fits instead of mindlessly chasing after league trends set by other teams with other players.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Letting Chriss go had to do with his attitude and work ethic, both were horrible. There's a reason the rockets have declined his option. Chriss might have the lowest basketball IQ I've ever seen

Plenty of guys with NBA talent playing overseas and there's a reason why

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton needs help and Chriss is so much better then Anderson. I said 40 wins before Chriss was traded and now I'm wrong. Suns need a power forward so bad, can they hit the lottery and get Williamson from Duke?

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anyone thinks about Chriss except you slin. You seem like you are constantly dreaming of another Amare...some athletic big that's going to dunk on the league. That would be cool except Chriss didn't fit that mold. He had his chance to impress...never happened

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Chriss got some garbage minutes for the Rockets last night. I'm curious to see whether he can worm his way back into the rotation. Given who his coach is, probably not. But if Chriss can improve his three-point shooting, which is the main thing D'Antoni cares about, it could happen. Chriss could take on a Tim Thomas kind of role.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s a wash for both teams. Chriss needs to grow up but he doesn’t seem to want to. You’d figure a kid in his situation would be a hard worker with how he got into the NBA. He went from a lightly recruited kid who was on no ones radar coming into college and ended up a lottery pick. The problem is he was picked based off of potential instead of actual substance. He couldn’t stay on the floor in college because he was always in foul trouble and his poor attitude wasn’t an issue to Romar because he was trying to win and he probably knew Chriss would bolt after his freshman year. Watson was his boy but he used that to remain an immature and undisciplined kid and when Triano showed he wasn’t having it he went to crap and going to HOU didn’t help because MDA doesn’t develop guys, he plays guys that can play in his system which actually should be ideal for Chriss but he’s not taking advantage of the opportunity by working hard to get into the rotation.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It’s a wash for both teams. Chriss needs to grow up but he doesn’t seem to want to. You’d figure a kid in his situation would be a hard worker with how he got into the NBA. He went from a lightly recruited kid who was on no ones radar coming into college and ended up a lottery pick. The problem is he was picked based off of potential instead of actual substance. He couldn’t stay on the floor in college because he was always in foul trouble and his poor attitude wasn’t an issue to Romar because he was trying to win and he probably knew Chriss would bolt after his freshman year. Watson was his boy but he used that to remain an immature and undisciplined kid and when Triano showed he wasn’t having it he went to crap and going to HOU didn’t help because MDA doesn’t develop guys, he plays guys that can play in his system which actually should be ideal for Chriss but he’s not taking advantage of the opportunity by working hard to get into the rotation.
I don’t understand why you think he’s be a hard worker when he’s always gotten everything without having to work hard. Getting traded is the first athletic consequence he’s experienced. Having his contract extension declined is the second. This late in life he may never learn consequences.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Remember how excited we were that night of the draft and both guys flamed out and don’t play. Yikes.
Yeah so so disappointing. I was so excited dreaming of the two playing interchangeably on the floor. What pipe dream that was . . .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns want Chriss back they can go after him in free agency. So it's not like anything is lost.

Personally though, the Suns 2016 draft was a disaster and I do not want any part of reliving it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*drafting him was a mistake

Agreed. Drafting him in the top 10 was a big mistake, trading an extra pick and an NBA level player so we could make that selection was an incredibly stupid mistake. Giving up on him this soon and trading him for garbage looks like a mistake too, at least on the surface. But we may never know what happened behind the scenes that led to this other than him picking a fight with the guy who couldn't get him to lift weights and get into shape.

And there's also the likelihood we didn't trade him so that we'd get Anderson, we packaged a deal with no real return in order to escape from Brandon Knight. It sure seems like we could have done better but who knows?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed. Drafting him in the top 10 was a big mistake, trading an extra pick and an NBA level player so we could make that selection was an incredibly stupid mistake. Giving up on him this soon and trading him for garbage looks like a mistake too, at least on the surface. But we may never know what happened behind the scenes that led to this other than him picking a fight with the guy who couldn't get him to lift weights and get into shape.
Sounds like you are describing the gift that keeps on giving.:) J/k

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are describing the gift that keeps on giving.:) J/k

Kidding or not, you might actually be right. Chriss is a HUGE long shot but he has a lot of physical gifts. If by some small chance it all comes together for him, he could become a top 20 player and think how we'll feel every time we see him then.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
McD gambled with both Chriss and Bender. Giannis was a gamble for Milwaukee. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But second-guessing is always a constant.

These draft picks are like going for it on 4th and 1. If you make it, you are a hero, if you don't you are an idiot.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
McD gambled with both Chriss and Bender. Giannis was a gamble for Milwaukee. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But second-guessing is always a constant.

These draft picks are like going for it on 4th and 1. If you make it, you are a hero, if you don't you are an idiot.

Yes it is but I don't believe it's second guessing to say we were incredibly stupid to draft Chriss where and how we did. Even the freaking Kings knew enough to stay away from him and he was a local boy. I'd wager that any averagely critical eye that watched any 3 of his college games would have laughed to learn that some fan sites had him listed in the top 10. Of course, I would have wagered that NBA teams wouldn't rely on highlight films to make scouting decisions when they didn't have to and obviously I got that wrong.

All told I think it's by far the most fireable offense committed by Ryan McD. And I say that even though I wouldn't be surprised to discover that his 2nd worst decision was to give up on him so early.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But where and what assets were given up for the Giannis gamble? Not nearly what was gambled on Chriss.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
But where and what assets were given up for the Giannis gamble? Not nearly what was gambled on Chriss.

I have no problem with the gamble on Chriss. They gave up just lower picks, right? If there's someone you want and you can move up without paying a big price, you do it. It looks like the assessment of Chriss was off, but the move to get him was not.

Taking Bender was by far the bigger blunder. Kris Dunn went at 5 and Jamal Murray went at 7. Both of them were there for the taking if the Suns had not farted the pick away on yet another white Euro stiff.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

That's exactly right. I was hoping that one out of two gambles would pay off, but sometimes that's how it works.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That's exactly right. I was hoping that one out of two gambles would pay off, but sometimes that's how it works.

That is how I viewed it. Both were raw gamble pics and if one of them panned out I would have viewed it as successful. We just weren't lucky....

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Taking Bender was by far the bigger blunder. Kris Dunn went at 5 and Jamal Murray went at 7. Both of them were there for the taking if the Suns had not farted the pick away on yet another white Euro stiff.

Was anyone talking about taking Dunn or Murray at the time? I sure don't remember it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is how I viewed it. Both were raw gamble pics and if one of them panned out I would have viewed it as successful. We just weren't lucky....

This is where I wonder how good the Suns scouting was.

Maybe this is one of the reasons the Suns fired some of their scouts in this country and international along with McDonough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose