Let's talk about Simmons

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If the Lions go Simmons...is there another team in the top 7 that needs a CB?

Carolina?

Could be interesting.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still think Simmons is comparable to Los Dansby as a player, but better.

he won’t wow you taking on blockers, has the same blitz skills, and better in coverage than ol #58. He’s Dansby on steroids imo. Once Simmons gets in the NFL weight room & adds some more muscle, watch out! He has HOF skills.

I still say if he gets past the Gmen at #4, I won’t be shocked to see Keim make a move to get him or at #6 to get this playmaker deluxe.

Differance makers don’t grow on trees. Difference makers, win games! This guy is exactly that so I’d go get him.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When we evaluate Simmons, we'd be smart to put him side by side with Buccannon.

Question of the Moment: Is Simmons significantly better enough than Buccannon to warrant our taking him without repeating our mistake in drafting Buccannon in the first place?

If, in drafting Simmons, we can feel he's tangibly better than Bucc, I say "go for it." Otherwise, stay away.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Question of the Moment: Is Simmons significantly better enough than Buccannon to warrant our taking him without repeating our mistake in drafting Buccannon in the first place?

If, in drafting Simmons, we can feel he's tangibly better than Bucc, I say "go for it." Otherwise, stay away.

He's BUC, D-wash and LOS = No deep thinking needed, turn in the Card in a nanosecond!

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

The 2 aren’t comparable in size, speed or skill set. Not even close Jeff.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

I can't see comparing an end of the first round pick to a top 3 on most peoples big board. Buc went pretty close to where he was projected and was purely a safety in college. Simmons would be a steal at 8, and has played all over the field. IMO

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Not to throw cold water on the Simmons hype but this guy does bring up some interesting points ( @DVontel )

Keep in mind the guy isn't a scout but he does have some great charts, analysis, and film cut ups by position.

If the Cardinals don't think Simmons can be an impact player at ILB (and flex to some additional spots as needed), I don't think you can take him at 8.

The article is really interesting and worth your time.

I pulled out two main points:

1) Linebacker

If an offensive lineman gets his hands on Simmons, he’s done. Even some tight ends had success blocking him. He looks like one of those safeties-turned-linebackers that we’ve seen fail in the NFL over the past few seasons.

But stopping the run is just one facet of playing an inside linebacker position, and it’s not even the most valuable one. Coverage is far more important and Simmons just happens to be really good at it … at least the kind of coverage assignments NFL inside linebackers are typically expected to carry out.

Whether it’s in the run game or against the pass, Simmons just doesn’t have the instincts you see in the best NFL linebackers. If you’re looking at him solely as a linebacker, it’s going to be hard to justify using an early first-round pick on him.

2)
So what position should Simmons play?

It’s a difficult question to answer, mostly due to the fact that there isn’t an obvious one. Had Simmons come around at the turn of the century, he’d be pegged as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense, rushing the passer on some snaps and dropping into coverage on others. That position doesn’t really exist outside of a few defenses (such as the Patriots, Ravens and Lions all.)

To get the most out of Simmons in his current form, using him as Clemson did might be the best option. A couple issues:

1. There are only a handful of NFL defensive coordinators as creative as Brent Venables

2. Simmons’ issues with instincts are likely a direct result of not settling into one spot and really learning the intricacies of that position.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/04/nfl-draft-isaiah-simmons-position-film-scouting-report

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Simmons -- Incredible Athlete , but if he has football savy , why would he be there at Pick # 8 , scares me . Give me Wills or Thomas . Simmons looks like an Octagon Peg in a round peg -- in round peg hole -- square peg in a square peg hole world . Wish I could read Vance Joseph"s mind !

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simmons is the one pick besides Lamb who I would be ecstatic with at #8.

To me Simmons reminds me of the Honey Badger if you sprinkled a bunch of Miracle Grow on him. He has all of the Honey Badgers football instincts but with better speed, size and lenght.

Simmons instantly solves the biggest issue with the Cardinals defense last season (A guy who could cover the TE). Simmons would give the Cardinals a player who they could throw on someone like Kittle.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Legit question...

What is it about VJ defenses that they are weak vs TE's?

Is it a flaw in his scheme or has he not had the right personnel to run his scheme?

The Cardinals kept trying to force Reddick in at ILB. However Reddick doesn't have the football instincts to play ILB. Opposing offenses manipulated Reddick like a puppet. So I think it was more of a personnel issue.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think if the Cards end up with Simmons they end up running a 3-5 defense, with either Simmons or Budda being the "5" on a given down

both Buddah and Simmons are fast enough that if you line them up over the slot, they could actually cover the guy, or, blitz from that spot

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think if the Cards end up with Simmons they end up running a 3-5 defense, with either Simmons or Budda being the "5" on a given down

both Buddah and Simmons are fast enough that if you line them up over the slot, they could actually cover the guy, or, blitz from that spot
I was thinking the same thing but didn’t know how to put it. It seems we could blitz from just about anywhere and cover the middle intermediate passes all day long.
If they dump it off we’d have the speed to cover that to.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we could have just covered a TE 50% better last year, we win 2-3 more games. I think we are closer on offense than defense. We can’t go another year of our offense scoring, and the defense immediately allowing the opponent to score on next drive. If that happens again this year, it’s not the players, it’s the DC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave