Let's talk about Simmons

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Legit question...

What is it about VJ defenses that they are weak vs TE's?

Is it a flaw in his scheme or has he not had the right personnel to run his scheme?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Simmons is arguably the best athlete in draft next to Becton and Wirfs but a guy I like that can be had in either 3rd or 4th round is Troy Dye. Dye was injured late in season (meniscus) so he couldn't participate at Combine or workouts but he is a 3 down LB who can cover like Simmons and can tackle. He and Simmons have nearly identical measurements (both 6'4 around 230 LBs). I think Simmons is off the board at #8 but if he is there with Wirfs or Okudah I would take either of them before Simmons.
Here is your defensive freaks list for dudes after round 1...

Davion Taylor - LB - Colorado
6'0 228. Late to football guy who needs to refine his game. Serious athlete 4.4 40 and great broad and vert.

Willie Gay JR - LB - Mississippi St.
6'1 243. Explosive athlete. Missed games due to NCAA issues.

Cameron Brown - LB - Penn St.
6'5 233. Didn't run the 40 as fast as I thought he would, but showed burst and athleticism on film.

Troy Dye - LB - Oregon
6'3 231. Three down LB who runs in a conference that is wide open. Never comes off the field. The question is can he hold up physically as a LB as the Pac 12 is pretty finesse.

DJ Wonnum - EDGE - South Carolina
6'5 258. Ran a 4.73 but was also top 20 in most athletic testing in the tough front 7 group.

Azur Kamara - EDGE - Kansas
6'3 245. Another late to football kid. Ran a 4.59 and tested well across the board. Raw player.

Derrek Tuszka - EDGE - North Dakota St.
6'4 251. Sub par competition but made plays. Would need to transition to OLB. Above average athlete.

Kyle Dugger - S/LB - Lenoir-Rhyne
6'1 217. Ran sub 4.5 and tested in the top 7 of all DBs in broad and vert. Great athlete with a history of dominating bad competition. Will need work but seems to be a grinder.

Jeremy Chinn - S/LB - Southern Illinois
6'3 221. Ran 4.45. Similar to Dugger that he was in the top 7 of all DBs in broad and vert. Another great athelet vs marginal competition. Was used similar to Isaiah Simmons being all over the field.

L'Jarius Sneed - S/CB - Louisiana Tech
6'0 192. Ran a 4.37. Don't know if he sticks at S as he has rare length and speed for a CB. Work in progress.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't state this enough...Davion Taylor, Willie Gay, Jeremy Chinn, and Kyle Dugger tested pretty phenomenally at the combine. I might post their numbers compared to Simmons to give perspective but they are not that far off.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I can't state this enough...Davion Taylor. Raw. Football instincts a ?

, Willie Gay. Bad news: punched his own QB in the face. Good news: so intense, he punched his own QB in the face.

, Jeremy Chinn
, and Kyle Dugger low level of comp for both, but super productive where they played + plus level size/speed/athleticism

tested pretty phenomenally at the combine. I might post their numbers compared to Simmons to give perspective but they are not that far off.

this is a good list-- my comments up above

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Now if you want to know if it is the depth of the alignment of the LBs or if it is how much they are tasked to honor run assignments or depth of S's...I honesty don't have that kind of time to investigate for you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
come on now. I don’t care what scheme your running if you don’t have talent it’s not going to matter. We had maybe the worst defense in the nfl last year
Kiko Alonso
Brandon Marshall
Todd Davis
Jordan Hicks

All NFL league average starts at ILB and our scheme has resulted in bottom of the league production.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kiko Alonso
Brandon Marshall
Todd Davis
Jordan Hicks

All NFL league average starts at ILB and our scheme has resulted in bottom of the league production.

ever heard the story about the Grizzlies trying to run the triangle offense.

If I got Jake Tskalides and I throw it to him in the paint 20 times a game that’s not the same as throwing it to Shaq 20 times in the paint.

if I take the Skelton Cardinals and try and run the greatest show on turf offense it ain’t gonna work bro.

talent matters I don’t understand how you can say it don’t

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

In other news

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Great profile pic SoonerLou!

The Giants could very well select Simmons but they really need a LT. They can probably get a RT in round 2 but I don't think they want Nate Solder at LT again with a franchise QB.

Are they going to run 4-3 or 3-4?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
ever heard the story about the Grizzlies trying to run the triangle offense.

If I got Jake Tskalides and I throw it to him in the paint 20 times a game that’s not the same as throwing it to Shaq 20 times in the paint.

if I take the Skelton Cardinals and try and run the greatest show on turf offense it ain’t gonna work bro.

talent matters I don’t understand how you can say it don’t
Three different teams with a variety of personnel and bottom of the league production. There is one common thread...Vance Joseph.

If you are married three times to three different women and get divorced three times, it may have something to do with you.

Red Bird

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to get Simmons, but I think the Panthers are going to break my heart at 7. Hope I’m wrong and they take Brown. Giants are a possibility, but i think they go LT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score