Let's talk about Simmons

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by BritCard, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

For me, BPA is the highest rated player regardless of position and team.

I guess if there is a tie between the two players, it doesn't matter if a team drafts for need.

In the 2018 NBA draft, some thought Luka was the BPA and teams are still kicking themselves for passing on him. Fans argued where to play him. The answer was anywhere you want.

GatorAZ and Minski like this.
  2. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

Need will always be a factor in determining who to pick. It is generally used to decipher between prospects that are rated closely on their board. You would also use need to determine positions that you can completely eliminate. For instance I think it is fair to say that all of us would pass on a QB in this draft even if it was clearly the BPA. If we had 2 good starting OTs on long term contracts I would imagine the team wouldn't draft another one high in the draft even if they are the best prospect remaining.

Goldfield likes this.
  3. Mainstreet

Hypothetically, if there is a franchise quarterback available at #8, the Cardinals should still draft him although that doesn't appear to be the case in this draft. He could always be traded for a ransom.

In the later rounds BPA becomes more subjective. I think it's safer to draft for need then.

4. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks Not So Skeptical Contributor

You might let a team trade up with you for a big return, but you certainly don't draft him and try to trade him later.

Goldfield, daves and Cardiac like this.
  5. Mainstreet

If you can get the right trade for sure but if it came down to BPA and there are no instant trade partners, I think a team should still do it. Of course we are talking about a hypothetical situation.

6. CSDFan

CSDFan Registered

You need to have someone who wants to take your place now. I think less and less teams want to trade up and give up picks. I'd be for it but I doubt there would be many takers so the position we'd trade down to might be to far...

AirRaid and daves like this.
  7. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Ohcrap75 and AirRaid like this.
  8. AirRaid

AirRaid Free Agent

Yeah, I don’t think 8 is as lucrative of a position this year. The three QBs should be gone by that point and that’s usually why Top 10 trades materialize, the quarterbacks. Unless someone falls in love with Jordan Love for whatever reason or the Eagles/Broncos fall in love with a wideout who they think will be gone affer the Jets and Raiders are through with them.

9. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

What often seems to happen is that most of the usual suspects are gone by 8, but someone covets one of the remains players; sees no comparable players available if he’s gone and greatly fears some other team wants him. It’s just the fun psychology of the draft. It’s even more fun if they overpay.

Cardiac, b8rtm8nn and daves like this.
  10. Veer

Veer Registered

I actually think 8 is a great spot to be in this draft. 2 QBs are a lock to go before us. Actually 3 are very likely (Cincy, Miami, Chargers). Which leaves us to select a top 5 positional player in this draft. True blue chip prospect. Moving into the teens equals to selecting a class 1st round prospect, but no blue chip label. Getting a 2nd in return would help obviously. But I really like our options at 8.

11. Cuozzo

Cuozzo Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.

This is one of the many reasons why I think I want the Cards to take Simmons:

12. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Has No Time For Love

I've seen that second play a ton this off season. His closing ability and length is going to cause a lot of fumbles IMO.

I just love this guy man.

cardncubfan, jf-08 and TheCardFan like this.
  13. Proximo

Proximo Registered

I do too. I really think he is going to be selected before 8 though.

14. JosiahLee

JosiahLee Registered

Exactly. I'd say less than a 2% chance he is there lol

15. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

Simmons is arguably the best athlete in draft next to Becton and Wirfs but a guy I like that can be had in either 3rd or 4th round is Troy Dye. Dye was injured late in season (meniscus) so he couldn't participate at Combine or workouts but he is a 3 down LB who can cover like Simmons and can tackle. He and Simmons have nearly identical measurements (both 6'4 around 230 LBs). I think Simmons is off the board at #8 but if he is there with Wirfs or Okudah I would take either of them before Simmons.