Let's be honest...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's how I view our QB situation.

Lets say Warner is a 7.5 with 10.0 being the highest.

Some may and some may not agree but for the sake of my point of view Leinart is a 6.8.

We can still win games with Leinart with the hopes and belief that in a short amount of time he would become an 8.0. One thing is certain. Leinart will NEVER get any better by sitting on the bench. Warner is as good as he is going to be and , as many of us believe, is not head and shoulders above Leinart.

If Warner were to start and get injured , especially early in the season, Leinart would be stepping in at the so called 6.8 level. If Leinart gets hurt , again especially early on, we have Warner to step in.

You cannot be a true Card fan and hope Leinart falls on his face just so you can say I told you so. You cannot be a true Cards fan if you wouldn't be thrilled to death if Warner saw the field this year because that would mean Leinart was playing well.

I'll say it again. I don't care if Charlie Johnson came back to QB this team as long as we win.

Looking "terrible" would ,IMHO, mean severely over or under throwing open receivers, fumbling, poor reads,or a deer looking into the headkights appearance.
I saw none of the above and we have a very nice situation at QB.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If QB rating = wins, some of you would have a point. But it never has, never will.

I'm of the opinion that right now, Warner gives us the best chance to win, but I believe Coach will start whoever he thinks gives us the best chance and I'm fine with that. Whiz needs a winning season THIS YEAR, just as much as us long-suffering fans.

What I don't buy into is the argument that we have to find out right now if Leinart is the long term answer, or he will be damaged or out'a here. If he has the mental toughness and desire to be successful in the NFL, he can handle holding the clipboard a few more times while improving his craft. There is no drop dead end point in that.

I'm of the opinion that Warner would put up better numbers - but not give us the best chance to win.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get so fired up about these QB comparisons and discussions. I always had a strong opinion one way or the other.

This time, strangely, I'm perfectly okay with whoever trots onto the field first. I'm just really glad we have a good option on the bench, no matter what happens.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to get so fired up about these QB comparisons and discussions. I always had a strong opinion one way or the other.

This time, strangely, I'm perfectly okay with whoever trots onto the field first. I'm just really glad we have a good option on the bench, no matter what happens.

AMEN, Brother. It wasn't long ago we were arguing about McCown, Akili Smith and some other dude who's name I can't recall.

I remember, John Navarre.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMEN, Brother. It wasn't long ago we were arguing about McCown, Akili Smith and some other dude who's name I can't recall.

I remember, John Navarre.

Yeah, looking back on it, it was about like arguing which three-legged pony had the best chance to win the Kentucky Derby.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should we discuss amongst ourselves then? Our 2009 draft position? Is that a better thread?

How about not having threads that say "let's be honest" and follows that up with something that isn't true?

That would be a good start.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ditto. We have good QBs two deep. Better than most teams can claim. I trust the coaches of this team (another first).

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cannot be a true Card fan and hope Leinart falls on his face just so you can say I told you so. You cannot be a true Cards fan if you wouldn't be thrilled to death if Warner saw the field this year because that would mean Leinart was playing well.

While I hate the "true cards fan" arguments, I do think there are a few people who secretly (and not so secretly) hope for either of the QBs to fail because they want the other guy in there.

Both QBs looked average last night. Nobody was great. Nobody was bad.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that says we have 2 good QB's couldyou please tell me the premise behind this thought process? Because from what I see we have one "good" proven QB and one unproven mediocre QB at this point.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that says we have 2 good QB's couldyou please tell me the premise behind this thought process? Because from what I see we have one "good" proven QB and one unproven mediocre QB at this point.

Give Coach Whis a call...he seems to think that way. Maybe he can explain it to you.

:p

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give Coach Whis a call...he seems to think that way. Maybe he can explain it to you.

:p

He can explain it all he wants and till hes blue in the face. But until we see otherwise in regular season games and on a consistent basis we have nothing more than what I said we have. Thems the facts biotch!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thems your opinions biotch, and you know what thems say about thems!

He can also explain it til he's blue in the face, but is his call, not yours or mine.

Which games are you going to, btw, so we can make sure to make extra food at the tailgates for you...

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thems your opinions biotch, and you know what thems say about thems!

He can also explain it til he's blue in the face, but is his call, not yours or mine.

Which games are you going to, btw, so we can make sure to make extra food at the tailgates for you...

Miami, Buffalo, San Fran, and Rams.

Not sure which ones I will be tailgating at yet. But I will let you know. :thumbup:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Shane , can you honestly say that during Warners tenure as a Cardinal you never fet at one time or another, "I've had enough of this guy"?
I sure have. Warner stunk with the Giants and his first couple of years here he was sub par. I will admit not all of the problems he had were his fault. The team around him, the coaching staff and his questionable thumb all played a huge role. But it wasn't until last year that he ever came near the "glory years" he experienced with the Rams.

We caught a glimpse of what Warner can do, but the same could be said for Leinart, who lit up the Bears and Chiefs his first 2 games, PLAYING UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS WARNER FACED WHILE FAILING MISERABLY.

Anyway, my main question to you was above. Did you ever feel like "I had enough of this guy" while Warner struggled?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane , can you honestly say that during Warners tenure as a Cardinal you never fet at one time or another, "I've had enough of this guy"?
I sure have. Warner stunk with the Giants and his first couple of years here he was sub par. I will admit not all of the problems he had were his fault. The team around him, the coaching staff and his questionable thumb all played a huge role. But it wasn't until last year that he ever came near the "glory years" he experienced with the Rams.

We caught a glimpse of what Warner can do, but the same could be said for Leinart, who lit up the Bears and Chiefs his first 2 games, PLAYING UNDER THE SAME CONDITIONS WARNER FACED WHILE FAILING MISERABLY.

Anyway, my main question to you was above. Did you ever feel like "I had enough of this guy" while Warner struggled?

Nope. I know what you get with him. But I also know like last year you have a guy capable of throwing 30 TD passes and has proven it. I also dont recall him being terrible in NY. His stats were decent and his team had a winning record when he was benched and then they went on a slide.

That far outways his downside IMO. I am happy that Leinart is starting and I hope he succeeds. But anyone here calling him good at this point is delusional IMO.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
My thought is that if K Warner is the better QB, it may be the beginning of the end for HC Whiz. I don't think the Cardinals will make the Playoffs in 2008.
If Warner is the QB, he can only last so long. If the Cardainsl have to find another QB of the future, it wll be with another HC.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Who's "friggin kidding" who? This guys is supposed to be the future of this franchise, He's in his 3rd year. He hasn't shown many flashes at all and sorta, kinda, maybe looked OK? He "struggled" "looked bad" and over all "wasn't bad". Now there's a vote of confidence if I've ever seen one. This team needs to win, not make a starter out of Leinart. If Warner can win, then he's the guy we need in there. Period.

I am with you on this. This is all about winning and not about "making" Leinart our QB of the future. Of course we all hope he is but that does not make it so. You never know what tomorrow will bring so you need to try and win today. I did not see the game but that makes no difference to me as I want the guy who has the best chance to win to be out there. Matt has been here a few years now. It is time to put up or shut up. I have a pretty good idea of what Kurt Warner can do. I still have no idea of what Leinart can do. We still have a few games to go in pre-season and it was or is much to early to announce who the starting QB will be. If we let Matt did us into a hole with 2-3 straight losses why do we even both keeping Warner who could start for a few teams such as Tampa or Chicago. Matt may be our best bet but I hope it is because he is the best player and for no other reason what so ever.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vanilla

Every year some of us forget these are preseason games. The coaching staff is far far more interested in seeing specific players and has certain objectives they want to accomplish. Did Breaston seperate himself from the pack? Did the QB's check off when other opportunities were there? How often were some of the DL out of position? I bring up a few thoughts. My biggest concern are some of the stories regarding our kicking game.....I assure you at this point both of them are on a very short leash as

the coach will not stand for any more stories in my opinion.

Bigdez22

Registered
Reaction score
Matt was ok tonight.

The only thing that gets me a little hot under the collar is Matt's relunctancy (sp?) to attack down the field. Granted, I can't see whats going on down the field but Matt is hitting the dump-off guy too much for my taste.

Kurt looked good, not great, but I love the way he attacks the defense and lets his playmakers(O, Fits) make plays.

Kurt might throw more Ints then Matt, and I know how important ball control is in the NFL, But I also know how important it is to put the ball in the endzone, and thats something I am worried about when it comes to Matt.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matt was ok tonight.

The only thing that gets me a little hot under the collar is Matt's relunctancy (sp?) to attack down the field. Granted, I can't see whats going on down the field but Matt is hitting the dump-off guy too much for my taste.

Kurt looked good, not great, but I love the way he attacks the defense and lets his playmakers(O, Fits) make plays.

Kurt might throw more Ints then Matt, and I know how important ball control is in the NFL, But I also know how important it is to put the ball in the endzone, and thats something I am worried about when it comes to Matt.

A couple of things:

As far as Matt's reluctance to throw the ball downfield, he had a perfect throw down the middle of the field yesterday to Breaston for a touchdown. He's willing to throw downfield provided it's the best option.

Kurt attacks the defense but he also turns the ball over a lot. It's exciting football and there are times when it's necessary but not all the time.

Now, I like Kurt a lot but I also think Matt has been playing very well and deserves to start. With Kurt on the roster I feel like we're in the best position in the entire league if we have an injury to our starting QB. Following Matt's rookie season I don't remember many doubts about his ability. When Whiz came in last year he got on Matt about his footwork. Couple that with him being a young player and learning another new system he clearly wasn't decisive early last year and was thinking more than he was playing football. So far this year he looks very confident and relaxed.

I'm very happy with Matt's style of play because with the talent we have at WR we don't need a QB who tries to make a lot of the plays himself. Our guys are very good once they have the football in their hands so we just need the QB to get it to them and let them do their thing. Look at the success Breaston has had so far on those short crossing routes. We don't need to be firing the ball downfield because our guys will get it there after the catch. Then there's Fitz who's just a freak and will catch anything, anywhere thrown by anyone.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm going to let the Head Coach and OC decide who the starter is and I'll be behind the guy 100% either way.

Bigdez22

Registered
Reaction score
Its simple to me
You go with Matt, The running game better be a top 10 unit this year or we will be 6-10

You go with Kurt, You are going to the strength of this Ball club, which is throwing the football.

Matt is going to get his chance and I hope he works out, but to me, It looks like we are trying to fit a square peg in to a round hole.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingman