Leinart Contract/Negotiations Discussion

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
So we have been spending nearly to the cap as I thought and I believe that trend will continue this year. I see nothing wrong with the way we've managed to keep this thing under control. Running an NFL team doesn't take a fan, it takes a businessman with a sound knowledge of the financial aspects. You have a finite supply of cap room and need to use it to your best advantage and at a time when it is most expeditious to use. If we hadn't have managed the cap so well, we wouldn't have had the money to sign Edge (only a few teams could have done this). You always need to make allowances for the unexpected.
I have agreed with the cap strategy in the last couple of years, but with the huge increases in the cap over the next couple of years, the chance of something unexpected happening becomes very unlikely.

The one thing we can hope for is a bidding war for the FAs, in which case, the Eagles and us would be able to outbid most of the league.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Wait a minute. How much cap space did we have left last year and the year before that?

Before the season started, way to much.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
I'm telling you we haven't been doing that.

We havent spent to the cap until Week 8 or 9 of each of those seasons. That wont help your team win that year now will it.

10 mill this year, 40 next year.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Before the season started, way to much.

The fact remains that the Cards have spent nearly to the cap every year since they found out they were getting the new stadium. I can't believe they don't have something in mind for the rest of the cap this year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
nidan said:
What about by the end of the year ?

Who cares when you have 8-10 mill left to spend on your own players yet are sitting on yet another 2-4 start for the season.

There is a medium ground here and having 10 Mill eft this season and 40 mill for next season isnt even close to a middle ground.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We havent spent to the cap until Week 8 or 9 of each of those seasons. That wont help your team win that year now will it.

And we are in the process of building a long term football team. Instead of pulling a Dan Snyder, the cap is being handled well and this team finally has great potential with a chance of being a good team for years to come.

Two different philosophys. Spend it all now or spend it as you go. As I business man, I prefer the latter.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
And we've been telling you you're wrong.

We're at an impasse. You're a masterdebator.

;)

Prove it. The Cards have spent almost to the cap for at least the last 3 years.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

it's when that you're debating. Pariah is right, we always open the season with lots of caproom, but we use it during the season on extensions for the following years.

As Joe has said at some point you have to ask why not spend more of it in the current year to improve the team now, especially knowing the cap is going to keep jumping in the future based on projected tv revs?

If you knew your business revenues were going to jump, and you could greatly enhance your current business by spending now(hire help, buy tools etc), wouldn't you do that?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
The fact remains that the Cards have spent nearly to the cap every year since they found out they were getting the new stadium. I can't believe they don't have something in mind for the rest of the cap this year.

They wrent spending before the season to help us win that season. Spending all of your cap by week 8 still means you have a losing record. But hey the future looks bright every single year.

And what do they have planned for the 10 Mill we have left this season. Lincoln Kennedy for the vet min. Extended our players and have 38 Mill left for FA next years instead of 33 Mill. all the while not helping the team out this year. Are we now on a 4 year plan?

what you guys dont get is taht this is a new era in FA with the new CBA. Teams are going to have butt loads of cap to spend, more so then any other year. We are most likely going to be over 150 by 2011.

Having 10 mill left over when you have 40 Mill next season is completely inexcusable. How anyone can be apart of that pro side of that debate is besides me and will never get how cap dynamics really work especially under this new CBA.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
40, we're talking about spending the cap money before the season begins to bring in players that can help the team in the current year, not extending the players so they can avoid a penalty form the league because they hadn't spent enough money.

Look, you're putting me in a position to bash the Cards, and I really don't want to do that. They HAVE started changing the way things are done, but sitting on so much FA money year after year as the season starts kills me.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
it's when that you're debating. Pariah is right, we always open the season with lots of caproom, but we use it during the season on extensions for the following years.

As Joe has said at some point you have to ask why not spend more of it in the current year to improve the team now, especially knowing the cap is going to keep jumping in the future based on projected tv revs?

If you knew your business revenues were going to jump, and you could greatly enhance your current business by spending now(hire help, buy tools etc), wouldn't you do that?

Maybe your translation they can understand.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Two different philosophys. Spend it all now or spend it as you go. As I business man, I prefer the latter.

nice job using complete opposite ends of the spcetrum and never pointing out there is a middle ground.

Have you got the fact yet how much the cap is going up. Or how much we still have to spend next season.

We arent even spending as we go. Having 5 Mill left in cap would be that case but 10 Mil is not spending as you go to yet another sub 500 record. but hey lets give the 5 year plan a go.
l
We can still spend the 10 Mill this season and still have over 30 mill. next season. Am I speaking spanish here.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a satire. It is from www.thebrushback.com. It is satire. It is not real. It is fake. It is artificially created for the purpose of humor. The people mentioned in the article did not say these things, but rather were crafted by the writer in an attempt to be funny.

That being said;

Brady Quinn Already Preparing For Hold Out

SOUTH BEND, IN--Notre Dame starting quarterback Brady Quinn is expected to be a lottery pick in the 2007 NFL draft. Accordingly, he’s preparing for a prolonged training camp holdout by saving money and embarking on a PR campaign to prepare the public for the inevitable.

“Obviously I am hoping to be paid my fair market value when I get to the NFL,” said Quinn, who is a leading candidate to win the Heisman Trophy this year. “If the team that drafts me treats me fairly, I’ll be in camp on time. If not, they will force my hand. I just hope the fans realize that any holdout that occurs will be entirely the fault of the team. I’ll hold up my end of the bargain by demanding way too much money. After that, the ball is in their court.”

Though Quinn doesn’t know where he will be drafted, he still expects to be lowballed by his future employed, which is why he’s preparing to hold out of camp.

“I don’t know who’s going to draft me. I don’t know where I’m going to be taken,” said Quinn. “But I'm already disappointed by their offer. I need more guaranteed money and more bonus incentives. Also, I need a longer deal, because I plan on being the top pick and I’m going to cash in on that. I just hope the Buffalo Bills – I mean, whoever has the top pick – will respect that.”

Quinn is also mulling over a list of potential agents to sign with when he leaves college. At the moment, Tom Condon, agent for Matt Leinart, is at the top of his list.

“I really like what Tom is doing for Matt Leinart,” Quinn said. “He seems to know exactly how to get his client the money he deserves. But you know, whatever happens, I’m just looking forward to leaving school, being drafted, and showing up to those final two weeks of training camp and pretending to be mentored by the starter.”
Notre Dame is coming into the 2006 season with high expectations, and players and coaches believe that anything short of a national championship will be a complete failure. Coach Charlie Weiss knows his team’s fortunes rest with the right arm of Brady Quinn, and hopes his quarterback can stay focused on the task at hand.

“It’s pretty normal for a player of his caliber to start looking ahead to his NFL career and all the money he’s going to make,” said Weiss. “But right now he needs to focus his attention on winning the national title. If he has a sub-par year his draft stock will plummet, and then he might have to do the unthinkable and attend training camp like a common rookie. So those are his two choices: a national championship or a first-class ticket to Loserville.”

Since the NFL has no rookie pay scale, rookie hold outs are all but inevitable for high profile picks. This year, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Vince Young all held out of camp. One of them, Leinart, still hasn’t shown up.

Leinart did have a piece of advice for Quinn when he gets drafted.

“Don’t take what they offer you, period,” Leinart said. “Don’t even look at the first offer. Just reject it out of principle. Always act outraged, like they lowballed you really badly, and definitely, definitely, stay out of camp. That’s your only bargaining chip. Look at me. I’m hanging around playing video games all day while the rest of my teammates do up-downs and get spit on by coaches. And nobody blames me for it either. I’ll saunter into camp when I feel like it and be welcomed with open arms.”

“One more piece of advice,” he added. “Don’t f up in the national championship game and drop down to 10. Some of these teams are crazy enough to want to pay an 11th pick like an 10th pick. No, seriously. They’re that nuts.”

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Apples to oranges. We aren't talking revenue, we are talking spending an allotment. You have a finite number of dollars to spend. In business, you can't know what your actual revenue is, you can only project it.

Is it a good idea in business to bet on the future and maybe stake your whole companies life and death on what might happen?

Being a conservative, I'll make sure I have enough to get by even if it means doing a little less now to make sure I have enough for the future. As I said different philosphys.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
They wrent spending before the season to help us win that season. Spending all of your cap by week 8 still means you have a losing record. But hey the future looks bright every single year.

And what do they have planned for the 10 Mill we have left this season. Lincoln Kennedy for the vet min. Extended our players and have 38 Mill left for FA next years instead of 33 Mill. all the while not helping the team out this year. Are we now on a 4 year plan?

what you guys dont get is taht this is a new era in FA with the new CBA. Teams are going to have butt loads of cap to spend, more so then any other year. We are most likely going to be over 150 by 2011.

Having 10 mill left over when you have 40 Mill next season is completely inexcusable. How anyone can be apart of that pro side of that debate is besides me and will never get how cap dynamics really work especially under this new CBA.

Yeah I guess your right. My opinion differs from yours so obviously mine is wrong and this team has another year going down the drain. Another year of losing. Another year of the same old Cardinals. Cheap bastards. They'll never change. Guess I'll have to start rooting for a bandwagon team.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
nice job using complete opposite ends of the spcetrum and never pointing out there is a middle ground.

Have you got the fact yet how much the cap is going up. Or how much we still have to spend next season.

We arent even spending as we go. Having 5 Mill left in cap would be that case but 10 Mil is not spending as you go to yet another sub 500 record. but hey lets give the 5 year plan a go.
l
We can still spend the 10 Mill this season and still have over 30 mill. next season. Am I speaking spanish here.

Nope, just being a smart ass.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah we will really sign Leinart then git rid of him come on man I really hope you were jking about that comment.... He is our qb of the future to lead us to the playoffs hopefully, he will sign a six year deal probally so he is not going anywhere :)

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

10m?

I seem to recall, that you earlier posted that we in fact had about 8m left (12m - 4m for the rookies) ???

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rfayhallock said:
Sign him and get rid of him.

Can't, you can't trade a rookie until 1 year after he signs, so it'd be next camp if he signed today. ANd we passed the deadline to trade him unsigned too. So we're "stuck" negotiating with a kid who lost 2 games in 3 years at USC.

It's frustrating as hell but saying we should get rid of him is just silly.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
10m?

I seem to recall, that you earlier posted that we in fact had about 8m left (12m - 4m for the rookies) ???

Think the discrepancy is Leinart hasn't signed yet.