LB and TPE for Turk and Childress

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Am i missing something in this article(where the Suns are mentioned)?
Today - 1:05 PM ET
The Bobcats are close to sending Boris Diaw and "possibly" Tyson Chandler to the Raptors in a three-way deal that includes the Suns. Charlotte would acquire point guard Jose Calderon and at least one other player.

As expected, we're seeing a cascade of player movement following LeBron and co.'s decision to join the Heat. Calderon would certainly fill the Bobcats' void at PG, and is a far better pure PG than ex-Bobcat Raymond Felton. Of course, if this deal goes through as stated it will leave Charlotte thin inside, relying on Tyrus Thomas and a platoon of mediocre big men.
Source: Charlotte Observer
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38207131/ns/sports-player_news/

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Steve Nash is a star. JRich is almost in that category. JRich is the most under appreciated player on this team.

steve nash is no longer a star of that magnitude. and i like jrich, but your homer glasses are waaaaay too tinted if you're saying jrich is "almost" in the category of a nash, much less true stars like 'melo, 'bron, wade, kobe, etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Got to admit, I'm very surprised and excited about the trade. But now where do we plug these guys in?

Nash(30)/Dragic(18)
Richardson(35)/Childress(11)Dragic(2)
Hill(25)/Childress(8)/Dudley(15)
Turkoglu(35)/Warrick(13)
Lopez(30)/Frye(18)

That leaves us with Clark and Lawal rounding out the roster, but I'd like to see Reynolds given a chance as well. I think we'd need another 1/2 kind of guy rather another 3/4 like Clark and Lawal.

you raise a good point. minutes will be odd. no way is dudley limited to 15 mins. no way is childress limited to 19 mins. no way is frye limited to 18 mins.

i think your estimate on richardson will shrink and lopez will likely shrink. i guess the good news is we likely NEVER have to worry about foul trouble.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to admit, I'm very surprised and excited about the trade. But now where do we plug these guys in?

Nash(30)/Dragic(18)
Richardson(35)/Childress(11)Dragic(2)
Hill(25)/Childress(8)/Dudley(15)
Turkoglu(35)/Warrick(13)
Lopez(30)/Frye(18)

That leaves us with Clark and Lawal rounding out the roster, but I'd like to see Reynolds given a chance as well. I think we'd need another 1/2 kind of guy rather another 3/4 like Clark and Lawal.

I would go like this:

Nash (30)/Dragic (18)
Richardson (32)/Childress (12)/Dragic (4)
Hil(25)/Dudley(20)/Childress(5)
Turk (35)/Warrick (13)
Lopez(30)/Frye (18)

I think barring injury Clark or Lawal won't get much time if at all. The thing I really don't like is Frye at Center. He is not a Center and a horrible defender. So, when Frye is out there at Center, your going to have either Turk out there (another bad defender) or Warrick (another bad defender). This might work against smaller teams but I see our interior getting worked when Lopez goes to the bench.

Either way minutes are going to be very weird for the Suns.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This might work against smaller teams but I see our interior getting worked when Lopez goes to the bench.

honestly, that won't be much different than what we've grown accustomed to over the past few years.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you raise a good point. minutes will be odd. no way is dudley limited to 15 mins. no way is childress limited to 19 mins. no way is frye limited to 18 mins.

i think your estimate on richardson will shrink and lopez will likely shrink. i guess the good news is we likely NEVER have to worry about foul trouble.

We may not have to worry about foul trouble at the wing position but I still see problems if Robin picks up a couple early ones. We're in a world of hurt if our only real inside guy has to watch from the bench.

Steve

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You're on fire today. Perhaps you haven't been following the team over the last couple years, but we actually already have a starting center! His name is Robin Lopez. He's pretty good!

Maybe you've never seen Pryzbilla play, but he is NOT a PF. He is a center, and purely a center. We have 2 centers, ergo Vanilla Gorilla would not play, just like Tyson Chandler isn't a fit.

Well since hes injured basicaly forever this argument is moot, but I didnt say he would play PF. I said if the suns couldnt get the PF we are looking for they could grab pryzbilla who can out rebound lopez by 2x in a per48 and provide a great interior presence...I never suggest him playing PF. Heaven forbid we were to have a backup center right? Having either lopez or pryzbilla on the court at all times would make up for the lack of rebounding we would have with a guy like frye or warrick at PF thats all I was saying.

You're right, that's JUST what we need! Another undersized PF. Maybe we can make you GM?
Since when is 6'8 250 undersized? He avg 8 points 4.5 rebounds in under 20 minutes in dallas. Hes a great FT shooter and he has some range. Hes only 25 and makes 4 million a year. Good grief.

I explain why they don't fit in our system and you put words in my mouth. Speaking of uninformed...
What words did I put in your mouth? I called you uninformed.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We may not have to worry about foul trouble at the wing position but I still see problems if Robin picks up a couple early ones. We're in a world of hurt if our only real inside guy has to watch from the bench.

Steve

Huge trouble. That's what happens when you load up on SF tweeners and Big men who don't play big.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Steve

true.

i guess we also don't have to worry about getting other teams into foul trouble. just a bunch of jumpshooters.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
steve nash is no longer a star of that magnitude. and i like jrich, but your homer glasses are waaaaay too tinted if you're saying jrich is "almost" in the category of a nash, much less true stars like 'melo, 'bron, wade, kobe, etc.

JRich was a bigger difference maker for us in the playoffs this year than Amare was. He was considered a star player when he was with the Warriors. Sorry, having a high opinion of JRich doesn't qualify as having "homer glasses." Man, you are condescending.

I still think we should have kept Amare, but it is what it is.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JRich was a bigger difference maker for us in the playoffs this year than Amare was. He was considered a star player when he was with the Warriors. Sorry, having a high opinion of JRich doesn't qualify as having "homer glasses." Man, you are condescending.

I still think we should have kept Amare, but it is what it is.

sorry that came off as condescending. i just think most people have a natural tendency to overrate their own, and i think that's what you're doing.

jrich may have been considered an almost star with the warriors, but that's two teams, and quite a few years ago now. he's decidedly not viewed as a star in the L any longer. he's a nice starter. i'd be shocked if he's EVER again mentioned in terms of all-star or all-nba (1st, 2nd, or 3rd team).

in regards to his "star" status during his time with the warriors, just for argument's sake, what "star" today would you compare his warriors-status to? i know with whom i'd compare him, but i'm curious as to your comparison. not trying to be snarky, just curious. let's me know the meter you're using. perhaps we just define "star" differently.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
true.

i guess we also don't have to worry about getting other teams into foul trouble. just a bunch of jumpshooters.

That's one of the irreplaceable aspects of losing Amare. We might finish dead last in FT's taken this season.

Steve

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's one of the irreplaceable aspects of losing Amare. We might finish dead last in FT's taken this season.

Steve

Thats pretty much a lock. They weren't just dead last when Amare was out in '05/'06, they weren't even close to sniffing the 2nd to last team who had over 400 more FTA.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like our moves. My only concern is how Turkoglu and Nash will play together, since Turk needs the ball in his hands to be effective similar to Nash. I fear Turk might get lost. However, it does provide us with some real nice depth. I love Childress. I think getting Al Jefferson would make this a complete team. That would absolutely blow me away with the efficiency shown in this team transformation. I would swallow my Sarver criticizing tongue for awhile.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I would go like this:

Nash (30)/Dragic (18)
Richardson (32)/Childress (12)/Dragic (4)
Hil(25)/Dudley(20)/Childress(5)
Turk (35)/Warrick (13)
Lopez(30)/Frye (18)

Either way minutes are going to be very weird for the Suns.

This is why I feel we've got another trade going down. I think that guy may just be Richardson. That allows us more minutes for Childress, moves Frye back to PF and Turk more into the SF slot rather that PF and then free's minutes at the C position.

What trade possibilities are there involving Richardson for a center?

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is why I feel we've got another trade going down. I think that guy may just be Richardson. That allows us more minutes for Childress, moves Frye back to PF and Turk more into the SF slot rather that PF and then free's minutes at the C position.

What trade possibilities are there involving Richardson for a center?

Not at center, as we'd be trading a starter for a back-up, but at PF, yes. Al Jefferson please. Turk moves to 3. Rounds out our team. Works great for Minny. And Jefferson can also play the 5. It's a win win.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not at center, as we'd be trading a starter for a back-up, but at PF, yes. Al Jefferson please. Turk moves to 3. Rounds out our team. Works great for Minny. And Jefferson can also play the 5. It's a win win.

Turk can't play the 3. He is way to slow.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Turk can't play the 3. He is way to slow.
Suns may have to start him at PF if they don't add a true big man, but Hedo has played pretty much exclusively at SF throughout his career. He is much more a 3 than he is a 4 or anything else.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. His natural position is SF. He's even listed as a 3, not a 4.

Let me clarify. He can't play the 3 on this team. No way. He is going to have to play PF and the way this team runs he is too slow at the 3.

Not to mention with Hill, Dudley and Childress all spending time at the 3 would there be enough minutes. Assuming Hill doesn't hit the wall....I would rather have Hill's defense in there giving him those minutes versus Turk.

Last edited:

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let me clarify. He can't play the 3 on this team. No way. He is going to have to play PF and the way this team runs he is too slow at the 3.

Not to mention with Hill, Dudley and Childress all spending time at the 3 would there be enough minutes. Assuming Hill doesn't hit the wall....I would rather have Hill's defense in there giving him those minutes versus Turk.

Once again, I disagree. This is not the same seven seconds or less team of the mid 2000's. We really played a much more selective fastbreaking style last year, as seen in our fastbreak statistics. Frye is by no means quicker than Turkoglu and he had no problem in the system. Turk can move. I really don't understand the slow thing. He has a perimeter oriented, playmaking style. He could not be this if his feet were stuck in cement. Regarding defense of opposing 3's, he's pretty much done this his whole career, so I don't see why it would be a problem now. As for the logjam at 3, with the departure of Richardson, Childress would move into the 2 spot, which I like very much. He has the quickness to play the position, and the athleticism and size to give opposing 2's headaches. That would effectively leave us size wise from 5 through 2: 7', 6'10" (Jefferson would now be the starting 4 which was what brought about the Turk to the 3 spot discussion in the first place), 6'10", 6'8". Sign me up for that all day. The Suns would now have the ability to bully the bullies *cough* Lakers *cough*. Our bench would be outstanding. We'd have our inside presence. And there's always Captain Nashty. Top to bottom, that is a solid, solid team.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding defense of opposing 3's, he's pretty much done this his whole career, so I don't see why it would be a problem now.

If your saying he has been a below average defender at the 3 his entire career then I would agree. How could you possibly want to see a player who can't play defense over Hill who can? Especially, knowing this team needs more defense?

As for the logjam at 3, with the departure of Richardson, that would move Childress into the 2 spot, clearing up the logjam. Personally, I like this move very much. Chillz has the quickness to play the position, and the athleticism and size to give opposing 2's headaches. That would effectively leave us size wise from 5 through 2: 7', 6'10" (Jefferson would now be the starting 4 which was what brought about the Turk to the 3 spot discussion in the first place), 6'10", 6'8". Sign me up for that all day. The Suns would now have the ability to bully the bullies *cough* Lakers *cough*. Our bench would be outstanding. Top to bottom, that is a solid, solid team.

In essence you would trade JRich just so you could move Childress to the 2 (which he can play but is better at the 3 IMO) for the sake of letting Turk play SF. So, basically your moving JRich out of the 2 and Hill out of the 3 for Turk and Childress? I just don't see how that makes your team better.

JRich is better then Childress and Hill plays better defense then Turk. We will definitely have to disagree that it helps the Suns.

Also, the Suns have the poster child for tall guys that don't play big. Size doesn't mean we could prevent the Lakers from pushing us around.

We are not getting Jefferson anyway so all this is moot. Don't get me wrong if we could get the guy I would love it. I just would have preferred the Suns get him first then make moves. We have a bunch of wussy tall guys on this team we could have probably done without under contract now for the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson