Lakers @ Suns 10-24-18

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recorded the game and watched it this am. That was a bad idea. They looked really bad, we need to add at least two key pieces that are not 18 years old or 40...

Who ever we add needs to play defense, I don't remember Booker being this bad on defense

Yeah, he was bad in the past but he wasn't anywhere near this bad.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is a common complaint throughout the league right now. The new freedom of movement rules have a lot of guards struggling defensively and it's why scoring is at an all time high. Not that Booker doesn't need to improve but there's more to it than lack of effort IMO.
Watching him particularly I see a guy that’s often not even with arms length of the guy he’s guarding when his man doesn’t have the ball. At least twice last night his man received the ball and was able to go up with it and knock down a shot without having to worry about being guarded because for all intents and purposes he wasn’t being guarded. I then watched atvthebither end of the court and the lakers players were all right up in their men making even receipt of a pass a challenge much less giving up easy looks. Bookers scoring punch becomes somewhat more punchless if he’s allowing the Josh Hart’s to somewhat negate bookers production with greater efficiency. Disappointing.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Because until it’s a competitive game they are empty stats. Does it help his development? Yes. But ultimately if you’re down 20 your actions are not exactly having any real impact.

True, but putting up a line like his is impressive anyway. It's not like there are dozens of other guys in the league doing it, or that the Suns are the only team with a losing record. This is the team Ayton is on, and there aren't very many players in the history of the league who have gotten off to such impressive starts, even if you factor in team W-L.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I recorded the game and watched it this am. That was a bad idea. They looked really bad, we need to add at least two key pieces that are not 18 years old or 40...

Who ever we add needs to play defense, I don't remember Booker being this bad on defense

We need vets in their mid to late 20's, not players closer to 35 than 30. With how we'd been burned by the Dudley and Chandler signings, in a way, you would think McD would have been cautious about paying an aging vet big money but it doesn't seem like he cared. I understand vets can help but I'm already discouraged about the Ariza signing from a basketball standpoint because he's a slim Jared Dudley. I think it might have been better to keep him, wait out free agency, and hope to find a team looking for cap relief or help with a 3 team trade. Ariza certainly hasn't earned $15 million for his play this year and it's unlikely he will. Chandler and Ariza are each paid about $4 million more than Warren, each, and I don't think there is a real debate about Warren playing better than both of them, combined.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
True, but putting up a line like his is impressive anyway. It's not like there are dozens of other guys in the league doing it, or that the Suns are the only team with a losing record. This is the team Ayton is on, and there aren't very many players in the history of the league who have gotten off to such impressive starts, even if you factor in team W-L.
It's also not like he jacked up 20 shots to get those stats. Sure he needs to find that gear at the beginning of the game while we are still in the game, but his 2nd half play was impressive whether the game was in the balance or not.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Frankly I’d put more weight into those numbers if they’d been accrued during the first quarter when the game was more competitive.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's also not like he jacked up 20 shots to get those stats. Sure he needs to find that gear at the beginning of the game while we are still in the game, but his 2nd half play was impressive whether the game was in the balance or not.
Watching the game he had a spurt in the second half that represented his most aggressive actions both defensively and offensively. When he started guarding the lane he picked up a couple fouls but he also blocked three shots. That was also somewhat close to when they started feeding him in the post rather than having him at the top of the key. It was garbage time for sure but it’s the best I’ve seen him look. I’d like for Igor to unleash him some more and if he fouls out he fouls out. It will be a learning experience for him. But I’d hes being told to half back for fear of fouling out I think that’s baking in poor mindset and fundamentals.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Frankly I’d put more weight into those numbers if they’d been accrued during the first quarter when the game was more competitive.
Especially in this game because he got at least 8-10 pts in the late 3rd and 4th quarters against Lakers center Jonathan Williams who is a G league player on a 2 way contract and he’s 6’9, 225 lbs.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Especially in this game because he got at least 8-10 pts in the late 3rd and 4th quarters against Lakers center Jonathan Williams who is a G league player on a 2 way contract and he’s 6’9, 225 lbs.

Much better than 0/0/0.:rolleyes:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is "This is less than two weeks into his career" part of the context we should be careful not to ignore?
No no that’s definitely part of the context but in one of these threads I said it’s getting tiresome prefacing every post with that or something to that effect.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
after THREE games... at the age of 21? NO. That's BEYOND IMBECILE STUPIDITY.

And if he IS that susceptible to injury after three games, you might as well call him Mr. Glass, cut his ass, and call it a day.

Seriously... Booker's injured because he's playing 35 minutes per game... in four games... at the beginning of the season.

This team has PLENTY of warts to have problems with. Playing Booker at the PG spot is definitely one of them from a strategy standpoint, but from health? no. That's freaking idiotic to say after four games. FLAT OUT IDIOTIC.

My opinion can best be summarized as the Suns are putting too much pressure on Booker and it is going to take its toll, with only three NBA quality players on the team. That is a lot more objective than addressing a co-poster as . . .

BEYOND IMBECILE STUPIDITY . . . freakin idiotic . . . FLAT OUT IDIOTIC.

Why are you getting so dramatic? And personal? Because we have different opinions?

For the record, Cheese, I am a big Phoenix Mercury fan, as well as the Suns. Just a few months ago, I watched them do the same thing with the greatest player in the history of the WNBA, Diana Taurasi and, although she didn't get hurt, her outside shot became flat in the playoffs and we were eliminated.

Not providing your potential All Star Shooting Guard (and now also our Center of the future) with a legitimate Point Guard is bad management. I just can't condone it after eight years of excuses of mediocrity.

If you wish to respond with more name calling, do what you have to. I don't think obnoxious insults are going to sway anyone's opinion. Which is what ASFN is all about. Varying opinions.

Mine is that the Front Office should be moving mountains to remedy the problem. Putting even more of a load on the shoulders of Devin Booker is not the solution. It is lazy management. As a fan, I find that disappointing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm prettyyyyy sure he wasn't.

Well I wouldn't know what to say then. I was just saying I spend most of my time on other parts of the internet these days and man if you have a dissenting view in these areas you are just shouted down by the masses.

I recently read "You are the villian in someone's story". Which is a great perspective because we all think we are the hero in ours.

So Eric, I was really sincere in saying that you do nothing that will get you banned. We will frequently diagree but you are a great poster who brings in a lot to this board. Sorry if I have been a butthole to you in the past.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yeah, he was bad in the past but he wasn't anywhere near this bad.
He just isn’t putting forth much effort on that end

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just can’t have that type of defense at the professional level and expect to win or even be in close games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just can’t have that type of defense at the professional level and expect to win or even be in close games.

Hard to say who's worse on that, Ariza gambling that far away, Booker, or Ayton just watching the whole thing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Lots of people just standing and watching. As booker somewhat slowed bron I would’ve expected Ayton, who was close and whose guy drifted to the three point corner would have come over to intimidate the shot. At a minimum he would’ve likely limited bron’s ability to easily grab his rebound and laying it in. Ariza’s lame gamble followed by bron’s self pass was embarrassing. I hope Igor plays that over and over again.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree someone should have come over and helped Booker.

He was not going to stop that train by himself.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort