Kyler's inability to throw on the run is a real issue

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, Johnson should be buried behind Sherfield. Give more reps to Andy. Bring in a veteran or maybe get Jaron Brown out there. I have zero confidence in Keesean Johnson.

The interception that I thought was really bad was the one to Collins. Kyler had zero awareness on that play. The pick to Okudah I partially blame on Hopkins. He was timid and didn't fight back to the ball. You can let someone step in front of you and steal that ball.

I think the Cardinals need to find another receiver and move on from Kirk. Cut Keesean. Get more snaps to Isabella. Andy should be getting minimum 5 touches a game right now.
Could either went to Hopkins or rolls out and finds him.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Although I really think he was just trying to force Larry a pass or get him touches (just like the other one that was almost intercepted)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One interception was a replica of the Landon Collins INT from last week.
the one above was just an ugly decision while forcing the ball.

He is undoubtedly his harshest critic. I am confident that he will work to fix these mistakes.

OP
OP
SoonerLou

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This should be pitch and catch. As I've stated before off one leg/not set his throws just dip.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Not an excuse for Kyler but an interesting thing I heard today from someone who follows the Washington Football team because he lives nearby. There is already talk there that if Haskins doesn't improve dramatically he won't be their QB next year, he went so far as to say people are already saying when was the last time a first round pick QB was just outright cut 2 years later by the team who picked him. We traded Rosen after 1 and he was cut after 2 but not by the team that drafted him.

Apparently the new coaching staff is not impressed so far, they like that he worked hard to lose weight, and they don't think his issue is work ethic, they're just not sure he's ever going to be accurate enough. They didn't draft him they have a new coaching staff. He's under 60% in all 3 games this year. They had to throw more yesterday because they were behind and he threw his first 3 picks of the season. IT was bad enough Rivera had to publicly give him a vote of confidence as people were wondering if Kyle Allen or even Alex Smith might become the QB.

So yes we have growing pains and Murray was not good yesterday, but put in perspective

As a Cardinals fan, I now have almost thirty years of watching bad QB play sprinkled in with like 4-5 good seasons. I know a bad QB when I see one, and Murray is NOT a bad QB. He will have more growing pains, and I think the ecstasy of victory are clouding some of the clear issues with him. He is still having problems making decisions. He doesn't always see the open man. Luckily, his issues are all highly correctable and for most good QBs, they work themselves out over PT and film study.

Haskins was supposedly a Dan Snyder pick and Jay Gruden wasn't a fan. He has some technique issues that affect his accuracy that have been very hard to correct.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards play design needs to add 2 man games to the rollouts. Edmonds would be an excellent partner; even Daniels. What Murray hasn’t learned to do is pull up and reset. I think he can learn to be effective but the Cards aren’t really developing him in ways that builds his confidence. They need to be tougher with him but design plays giving him a better chance to succeed.

That's what Romo was talking about in his game yesterday, when a QB who can move learns to move and then reset, it makes them much better

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting since Rivera was part of the staff that had Haskins and Will Grier ranked ahead of Kyler.

I don't know if it's him or the OC Turner who's not high on Haskin.

We know Rivera was likely behind them trading for Kyle Allen since he coached him in Carolina

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
That's what Romo was talking about in his game yesterday, when a QB who can move learns to move and then reset, it makes them much better
I honestly didn’t steal this. I had my screen split with the sound on the STL Cards. Yeah!

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly didn’t steal this. I had my screen split with the sound on the STL Cards. Yeah!

Yeah not saying you did I can't even remember which game that was that Romo said that I really didn't watch much of the early games. I heard him say it and I thought that's something Kyler has to do

Kyler is stepping up much more than he did last year, far less running backwards, next thing is to reset when he does that to make a better throw.

The funny thing the one time this year he did that perfectly, he missed Edmonds who was wide open, he saw him just overthrew it but he avoided the sack stepped up, set his feet, and then missed

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
According to ESPN, Detroit played man about 82% of the plays the first 2 weeks, only 55% yesterday. That may have had something to do with Kyler being confused they were expecting more man?
Now that’s interesting. And maybe explains why kyler wasn’t pulling it down and running as much as I expected. If that’s the case I expect KK to be informed of what’s going on and to make adjustments. Didn’t seem to see any.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals need to find another receiver and move on from Kirk. Cut Keesean. Get more snaps to Isabella. Andy should be getting minimum 5 touches a game right now.
I agree with all of this. Drafting 3 WRs last year was a bust. One is cut. Another should be on the street. The third is likely a third wr at his ceiling.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. Drafting 3 WRs last year was a bust. One is cut. Another should be on the street. The third is likely a third wr at his ceiling.

Andy needs a longer audition.

I'm not against the receivers they picked honestly. Metcalf over Isabella, sure, but Butler and Johnson were fine. Just expecting 4th and 6th round picks to pan out is fool's gold.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
thats fine, but pressure wasn’t really coming in his face. The problem was that Kyler was throwing balls high the entire first and second quarter. It wasn’t bad reads; it was something with his technique
He throws lazily off his back foot, often, relying on his arm. He really needs to improve his passing footwork and step into his passes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Andy needs a longer audition.

I'm not against the receivers they picked honestly. Metcalf over Isabella, sure, but Butler and Johnson were fine. Just expecting 4th and 6th round picks to pan out is fool's gold.
The biggest issue was taking two slot WRs, Isabella and KJohnson, when you have Fitz and Kirk who both excel in the slot.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This should be pitch and catch. As I've stated before off one leg/not set his throws just dip.
Agree. Okudah was just....there. It was a terrible throw.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
He throws lazily off his back foot, often, relying on his arm. He really needs to improve his passing footwork and step into his passes.

Been wanting to say this for quite some time, I just couldn't find the right words. Your words are exactly what I was seeing as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The biggest issue was taking two slot WRs, Isabella and KJohnson, when you have Fitz and Kirk who both excel in the slot.

I'd like to see the Cardinals dip into the free agency well and get another outside receiver.

Someone like Marvin Jones or Josh Reynolds from the Rams.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah not saying you did I can't even remember which game that was that Romo said that I really didn't watch much of the early games. I heard him say it and I thought that's something Kyler has to do

Kyler is stepping up much more than he did last year, far less running backwards, next thing is to reset when he does that to make a better throw.

The funny thing the one time this year he did that perfectly, he missed Edmonds who was wide open, he saw him just overthrew it but he avoided the sack stepped up, set his feet, and then missed
Yes, that was a wheel route out of the backfield Chase ran across the Middle. Kyler overthrew him, dropped to his knees in disgust because of it. He ended up running it in like 1 or 2 plays later though.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

That's one of the things RW has over on KM. He almost always steps into his passes. Ok, I just threw up a little bit typing that lol.

Dynomite

Veteran
Reaction score
Smaller guy thing imo. He will never be amazing at it. I think Russell is about the only shorter QB that can do it with incredible accuracy.

it’s a short qb thing, proceeds to list a short qb that does it. Then says he’s the only one even though they only just now started allowing short qbs in the league so your sample size is incredibly small.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
it’s a short qb thing, proceeds to list a short qb that does it. Then says he’s the only one even though they only just now started allowing short qbs in the league so your sample size is incredibly small.
Ok. Sample size is small. Does that matter? If small quys start to dominate the position in the future and start showing incredible accuracy on the run I'll maybe have a different opinion...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard