Kyler Murray: We need to get the little things right

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler Murray: We need to get the little things right

The Cardinals were 6-3 and looking like a good bet to make a run at the playoffs after DeAndre Hopkins reeled in a Hail Mary from Kyler Murray to beat the Bills in Week 10, but the season went the wrong way from there.

Arizona lost five of its final seven games and missed the playoffs for the fifth straight year. Murray said that he’s confident that the players the Cardinals have are capable of a better result in 2021, but that the team needs to stop “taking the little things for granted” if they are going to improve on last season.

“We started out hot, and we were kind of a team where you just didn’t know what we were bringing to the table each and every Sunday, just kind of going with the flow,” Murray said, via Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com. “Those organizations that are used to winning, they do everything right, and I don’t think that we are there yet. And I think that’s what we need to get to doing is, do everything right, the little things right. The little things matter in the grand scheme of things.”

Turnovers, third-down conversions, and red zone work were among the little things that Murray thinks need to be the focus if that playoff drought is going to come to an end.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"I had a little shoulder deal during the season which caused me to kind of get out of whack as far as mechanically, throwing the ball and stuff like that, which, I was fine, but I want to get back to myself," Murray said. "If you go back and you watch my college highlights and then if you go watch this past year's highlights, my release is a lot longer due to me having to deal with being a little hurt, banged up."

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s literally what I just said i.e. “and himself” he’s including himself... it’s not a knock lol

He put out that live stream of him breaking down film a couple weeks back and he blamed himself for a big sack and talked about how he just didn't do what he did in practice

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Stop leading the league in penalties, many of them self-inflicted. There were waaaay too many defensive pass interference and offensive false starts last season, compounded by unreliable field goal kicking and poor play-calling late.

~Captain Obvious

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We'll see if he was right. Unfortunately, our DC is an idiot that wouldn't use Simmons.

One thing to consider is that on one of his very first snaps (if not his first), he was dreadfully out of position and gave up a long TD.

I think Simmons wasn't quite ready (which could also be an indictment on the defensive coaching staff) early in the season. I understand him not starting, but I don't understand the lack of snaps early in the year. He should have been integrated sooner.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that on one of his very first snaps (if not his first), he was dreadfully out of position and gave up a long TD.

I think Simmons wasn't quite ready (which could also be an indictment on the defensive coaching staff) early in the season. I understand him not starting, but I don't understand the lack of snaps early in the year. He should have been integrated sooner.

Yep, exactly. I can understand his early struggles to get onto the field, but NOT when he was clearly showing he could ball later in the season.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yep, exactly. I can understand his early struggles to get onto the field, but NOT when he was clearly showing he could ball later in the season.

What I saw at the end of the season was a lot more reassuring than earlier in the season. I think Simmons is going to be Karlos Dansby good long term.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
What I saw at the end of the season was a lot more reassuring than earlier in the season. I think Simmons is going to be Karlos Dansby good long term.
I agree. Even KD had his struggles his first year or so. I remember the coaching staff calling him out on understanding the difference between being hurt and being injured. Once he figured everything out he was great and I hope Simmons follows that same path.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose