Kyler Murray v. Joe Burrow

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Who said he’s landing a starting job anytime soon? Hurts will probably be selected inside of 4 rounds based on his production and skill. Any team drafting him would be viewing him as a potential starter with proper development.
Every year people say the same thing about QB prospects and every year QB’s move up the board after good combines and workouts. Hurts is talented and he’s been successful in 2 entirely different systems. Someone’s going to like him.
I think if Jalen Hurts goes to the right team, he could end up being a steal? The kid can run & throw. He's played in a pro style offense at Alabama, won a Natl Championship & played in an Air Raid offense as a starter. Don't think they will win the CFP but he's doing well.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The tough part is that i didn't consider a guy like Murray would be taken at number 1. He is so damn raw that it is tough to get a bead on him. I will say that I would have help onto Rosen due to the contract and to create competition between the two. There is something to be said about a player earning a job vs being handed one. We all know that I still have questions about Murray as a competitor.
Murray will be fine, I truly believe this. Once the defense is built & we add more pieces, we will win more games. Look how close we've been in about 5 games this season with the personnel we have? 5 losses of course but I read somewhere the other day, we may have played the toughest schedule in the NFL by the end of the yr? Taking into consideration the lack of talent on this team & KM doing what he has so far.................? I think the future looks bright. Just don't screw the offseason up SK lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That was me. I am now seeing a bit of the flawed logic in that approach having seen our team do it. I like Burrow, but I am not sure he has enough pedigree for me to trade up to get him. None of the other QBs interest me in round 1. I would not mind a QB in the mid rounds if one strikes Kingsbury's fancy.
Me either. I think Hundley just isn't very good.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seems I remember someone saying (BA, maybe?), draft a qb every year (not necessarily first round, though). I think K1 will be fine with a little added help. Hope he gets it.

What happened to everybody being so high on the new O line coach and them playing better because of K1's mobility?

Guys on here turn on every body at the drop of a hat, it seems.
I haven't turned on Sean Kugler. He's the reason our OL has opened up all those running lanes this yr. One of the best in the NFL. That was a damn good hire by SK, I will give him props for that. We need a stronger Center though. Pugh & Sweezy have held up for the most part. Pugh did suck against the Rams & Donald but a lot of OL do. I even think Kugler can get more out of Justin Murray in the offseason. Have him work with the strength coach & teach him better footwork & bending techniques. He obviously has to be resigned first but I hope he is. Quality backup at the very least, with a full season of starting experience, in the toughest division in football. This kid came in off waivers & in 3 days started against the Lions. Played well. I believe the Lions have 3 pro bowlers on that DL also.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Shocking.

You’d take the guy over the guy he couldn’t beat out.

but what does Haskins have to do with Murray vs. Burrow?
Burrow couldn't beat out Haskins because he isn't as mobile, he's a pro style QB, have no idea why Urban Meyer even recruited the kid? He wasn't a good fit for that RPO offense Meyer ran at Ohio St. He's perfect for LSU. They now run the Saints offense brought over by
Joe Brady. He was the WR's coach
I believe with the Saints? LSU hired him to run the Sean Peyton offense. But you're right, Haskins has nothing to do with Murray or Burrow lol.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Read an article that Burrows played in a similar offense that Brees plays in New Orleans. The Saints may look to move up to take him.
Burrow plays in the exact same offense the Saints run, at LSU. Joe Brady is the OC at LSU now. He was the Saints WR's coach last season. He was hired to run the Sean Peyton offense at LSU. They always have a top 10 defense there, just couldn't get anything out of their offense the last several seasons, got tired of getting spanked by Alabama. So they hire Joe Brady, beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa & are #1 in the CFP. Joe Brady will be a HC soon. More than likely at an SEC school, like Miss St or a school on that level.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Burrow couldn't beat out Haskins because he isn't as mobile, he's a pro style QB, have no idea why Urban Meyer even recruited the kid? He wasn't a good fit for that RPO offense Meyer ran at Ohio St. He's perfect for LSU.
Have you ever seen Haskins play?????? Mobility is probably at the bottom of his skill set. In fact Burrow has better mobility than Haskins. Haskins beat him out because he is better than Burrow.

Burrow has had a phenomenal year but Haskins put up very similar numbers as a 20 year old sophomore first year starter while Burrow is a 23 years old senior two year starter.
Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
373 533 70.0 4831 9.1 10.3 50 8 174.1 (included is Krangs under pressure stat that he likes to use every thread for some reason)

342 439 77.9 4715 10.7 12.3 48 6 201.5

I like Burrow too, he's a great guy and was well liked at OSU, but I wouldn't take him #1 overall at all. He'll probably be successful in the NFL but he doesn't have the arm talent of a #1 overall pick. In fact, I heard McShay say yesterday, he asked scouts last year about Burrow and they said he's Andy Dalton.

But he'll probably go #1 and that's great for him but Baker Mayfield went #1 too and never should have, which is showing this year. And Baker has as many weapons as you could ask for as a QB.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Haskins play?????? Mobility is probably at the bottom of his skill set. In fact Burrow has better mobility than Haskins. Haskins beat him out because he is better than Burrow.

Burrow has had a phenomenal year but Haskins put up very similar numbers as a 20 year old sophomore first year starter while Burrow is a 23 years old senior two year starter.
Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
373 533 70.0 4831 9.1 10.3 50 8 174.1 (included is Krangs under pressure stat that he likes to use every thread for some reason)

342 439 77.9 4715 10.7 12.3 48 6 201.5

I like Burrow too, he's a great guy and was well liked at OSU, but I wouldn't take him #1 overall at all. He'll probably be successful in the NFL but he doesn't have the arm talent of a #1 overall pick. In fact, I heard McShay say yesterday, he asked scouts last year about Burrow and they said he's Andy Dalton.

But he'll probably go #1 and that's great for him but Baker Mayfield went #1 too and never should have, which is showing this year. And Baker has as many weapons as you could ask for as a QB.
Well I'm not a stat crazy guy, I try not to use stats too much. I do know this much. Burrow is tearing it up in a pro style Saints offense in college. The RPO offense just didn't work for him with the buckeyes.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, Dalton got Cincinnati to the playoffs each of the first five years of his career. They just never gave him much of a D, and eventually the team declined into mediocrity as they didn't get over the top during their window. All his receivers and running backs left, and he's all by himself there. Mixon and Boyd are nice, but not getting past the AFC elite.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Andy Dalton has been good enough to get the playoffs. He just wasn't able to elevate his game to make a deep run in the playoffs. He is just an average QB. Like Alex Smith.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Andy Dalton has been good enough to get the playoffs. He just wasn't able to elevate his game to make a deep run in the playoffs. He is just an average QB. Like Alex Smith.

A little better than average.3 Pro Bowls and 4 playoff games.before this season he was 68-50-2 as a starting QB.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I like Burrow to Cincy a bit more. Bigger body..... probably a better "weather" QB, and also.... he's an Ohio boy IIRC.

Tua to Miami just makes sense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Burrow to Cincy a bit more. Bigger body..... probably a better "weather" QB, and also.... he's an Ohio boy IIRC.

Tua to Miami just makes sense.

I understand your reasoning, but if the comparisons between Burrow & Dalton are even remotely accurate, would Cincy go that route? Personally, I disagree entirely with the comparisons being made.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A little better than average.3 Pro Bowls and 4 playoff games.before this season he was 68-50-2 as a starting QB.
0-4 in the playoffs. 1 TD 6 ints overall in the 4 playoff games he played.
He was a good regular season qb but nothing more.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
0-4 in the playoffs. 1 TD 6 ints overall in the 4 playoff games he played.
He was a good regular season qb but nothing more.

That's true but 4 straight playoff appearances is nothing to sneeze at.When was the last time a Cards QB did that?4 straight years with playoffs and some would be putting statues up and pontificating about HOF for KM.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I understand your reasoning, but if the comparisons between Burrow & Dalton are even remotely accurate, would Cincy go that route? Personally, I disagree entirely with the comparisons being made.
Me too. Joe seems more like a cross between Russell (mobility, awareness, accuracy, without being truly "fast") and Carson (sturdy frame).

He may have problems with his arm in the NFL though. That's totally a Dalton thing IMO.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's true but 4 straight playoff appearances is nothing to sneeze at.When was the last time a Cards QB did that?
I tend to think that the team carried Dalton during their playoff runs, not the other way around.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I tend to think that the team carried Dalton during their playoff runs, not the other way around.

Dalton 2011 Pro-Bowl 4 4th QC 4 GWD
2012 1 4th QC 3 GWD
2013 0 4th QC 3 GWD
2014 4 thQC 3 GWD

seems to me that he was a big part of getting to the playoffs.So I tend to think they helped each other and Dalton just didn`t ride the coattails.He hasn`t been a star but he has been pretty solid considering the Bengals are a tightass organization.