Kyler Murray Contract Extended

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To be fair, this is largely Kyler's fault. With all the fuss in the offseason that he created it's given people the chance to set the narrative about him. He's now a sulky baby who scrubbed his IG like a child and sent memo's begging for a new deal. That's now the reality for most people, even though it's just a narrative.
There is truth to it.

He pretty much played hard ball to get his extension this year instead of next year, and it worked.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of his criticism is based on team record without taking into consideration the team that Kyler inherited. Seems pretty weak to me.
For sure, I cannot stand how the media talks about QB's as if they are the only factor in winning or losing.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
i get that -- i just makes me question their entire premise

best analysis i heard on K1 was from Matt Hasselbeck on ESPN (IIRC)

"Is Kyler a QB that you win because of, or, you win with him? He is in the lower end of 'because of', but he is still in that tier, and you have to pay those guys."
Football Outsiders had that analysis.

If Kyler is between the 8th and 12th best QB in the NFL, this is good value. He’s unlikely to outperform this contract.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A lot of his criticism is based on team record without taking into consideration the team that Kyler inherited. Seems pretty weak to me.

That is true, but I think both sides have some merit.

On one hand they don't factor in the terrible team he had in year 1 especially.

Also, they have some point in that he hasn't yet shown he can lead and elevate a team as guys like Burrow and Herbert have shown.

If you believe 4th quarter come backs and game winning drives are a measure of that then Herbert had 5 of each last year alone. Kyler has 5 and 7 through 3 years. Josh Allen had 8 and 11 through 3 years.

I feel Kyler is still very much a fair weather quarterback. When everything is going his way he's great. When the chips are down and he needs to grit it out and inspire the team, not so much.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is true, but I think both sides have some merit.

On one hand they don't factor in the terrible team he had in year 1 especially.

Also, they have some point in that he hasn't yet shown he can lead and elevate a team as guys like Burrow and Herbert have shown.

If you believe 4th quarter come backs and game winning drives are a measure of that then Herbert had 5 of each last year alone. Kyler has 5 and 7 through 3 years. Josh Allen had 8 and 11 through 3 years.

I feel Kyler is still very much a fair weather quarterback. When everything is going his way he's great. When the chips are down and he needs to grit it out and inspire the team, not so much.
Well said. It's disheartening that a few QBs newer in the league than KM are outpacing him already.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well said. It's disheartening that a few QBs newer in the league than KM are outpacing him already.
Burrow is the exception. Herbert went to a team 2 yrs removed from winning 12 games. Rivers when washed was routinely throwing for 4200 yards. Not that Herbert isnt better. He also went to a really good situation and he didnt make the playoffs either.

Josh Allen advantage through 3 years is primarily just that 3rd year. Kyler was clearly better through 2 years. Allen might be best QB in the league and he's still worse than Kyler in completion %, passer rating, passing yards per game (through 4 years). So stats arent everything. Allen is clearly better. However, that took a while.

Herbert and Burrow are better. However, the gap totally depends on if Kyler with a #1 WR on the field has merit. Cause his #s with Hopkins put him comfortably with those guys.
You must be registered for see images attach

We'll see if it pan out or pays out.

Im lenient to young QBs on rookie deals. Now that he's paid the excuses are out. He's gotta win at least 3 of the 1st 6 games without Hopkins. And needs to play to that level from last year with Hopkins on the field again.

Last year's dip cant happen again.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If Kyler is between the 8th and 12th best QB in the NFL, this is good value. He’s unlikely to outperform this contract.
I think he can definitely be better than the 8-12th best QB. We've definitely not seen peak Murray, and if he can play in the 2nd half like he does in the first, you're looking at a top 5 QB.

Why the 2nd half collapses? Some blame can be attributed to getting nicked up, but this national writer isn't afraid to point the finger at Kliff. The whole article is well worth a read, but certain blurbs are tough to read:

Murray carries some blame for this decline—but the greater share belongs to his head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who has been enduring late-season slides for far longer than Murray has. Going back to his time at Texas Tech, Kingsbury fights a yearly battle to find the necessary buttons to push, both schematic and motivational, to stay ahead of the adjusting opponents his teams are facing. He always loses.

ouch.

He's not getting much help from his GM either:

despite the lack of success to this point, Murray is clearly good enough to win a playoff game as the centerpiece of a functional team. It’s the functional team that is missing.

Since drafting Murray with the first overall pick in the 2019 draft, the Cardinals have drafted consecutive first-round linebackers: Isaiah Simmons and Zaven Collins. Both have struggled finding playing time, and both have struggled on the field when playing. To justify the selections, veteran linebackers like De’Vondre Campbell and Jordan Hicks were ousted in free agency. Campbell immediately enjoyed success in Green Bay the year after his departure.

Campbell isn’t alone. Arizona’s 2017 first-round pick, Haason Reddick, a hybrid player who bounced from inside linebacker to outside pass rusher during his time with the Cardinals, was not extended following a 12.5-sack 2020 season, and was also immediately successful at his next stop, in Carolina. To bolster their pass rush last offseason, the Cardinals signed J.J. Watt, whose contract was so large they didn’t feel compelled this offseason to retain star pass rusher Chandler Jones, who is now in Las Vegas.

Simmons, Collins, and Watt for the price of Campbell, Hicks, Reddick and Jones is just bad business.

And the icing on the cake...

On their cap sheet and their offseason transaction list, the Cardinals are acting like a team that barely lost the Super Bowl, looking to run it back with a final push over the finish line. They extended the head coach that bears some responsibility for the late-season declines, whose offensive systems increasingly demanded draft capital and cap space spent on another new pass catcher. They extended the general manager who has overseen every misstep in roster management, enabling the blind aggression of his head coach in building out an overloaded offensive depth chart. And now, they have extended the quarterback who has yet to prove that he gives them an equal chance to win it all as the many other mammoth-contract quarterbacks do.

But they did not just lose the Super Bowl. They’re still a few rounds of playoff football away from the Super Bowl, stuck in a division with the reigning NFL champion and the NFC runner-up, and about to lose the huge competitive advantage afforded by their rookie contract quarterback. Nothing about the Cardinals screams “contender” other than the price tag of their signal caller and the extensions offered to their head coach and general manager. You can act like a contending team all you like. It doesn’t make you one.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I'll take Herbert
not to pick on you Stout, but I see this a lot. To be clear ---- I think Herbert is very good

but: if people pin "he hasnt won anything" on Murray, shouldn't Herbert own that too?

the Chargers -- with a skill position collection on balance better than the Cardinals -- haven't made the playoffs. They had a chance last year, but went 1-3 down the stretch (including a loss to the Texans) and a loss in a clinching final game.

While QB rating isnt everything -- Herberts was 98, Kylers was 100.

Reaction score
not to pick on you Stout, but I see this a lot. To be clear ---- I think Herbert is very good

but: if people pin "he hasnt won anything" on Murray, shouldn't Herbert own that too?

the Chargers -- with a skill position collection on balance better than the Cardinals -- haven't made the playoffs. They had a chance last year, but went 1-3 down the stretch (including a loss to the Texans) and a loss in a clinching final game.

While QB rating isnt everything -- Herberts was 98, Kylers was 100.
If numbers are everything according to Kyler Murray super fans. Herbert is a god then.

According to numbers then Herbert should be paid at least 10 million a year more than kyler.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lamar Jackson, Justin Herbert, and Joe Burrow are the guys up next for big extensions. This time next year, Kyler will be somewhere in the top 5 contracts; this time in 2024, he'll be a crazy value.
If he’s playing well and winning games and getting us to the playoffs it will be a good “value” If he’s the kyler murray of the last six weeks last year it will be a complete waste of money.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
One question Kyler desperately needs to answer is whether or not he can play effectively when he's injured. So far, he's been a far less effective QB when nicked up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think he can definitely be better than the 8-12th best QB. We've definitely not seen peak Murray, and if he can play in the 2nd half like he does in the first, you're looking at a top 5 QB.

Why the 2nd half collapses? Some blame can be attributed to getting nicked up, but this national writer isn't afraid to point the finger at Kliff. The whole article is well worth a read, but certain blurbs are tough to read:

Murray carries some blame for this decline—but the greater share belongs to his head coach, Kliff Kingsbury, who has been enduring late-season slides for far longer than Murray has. Going back to his time at Texas Tech, Kingsbury fights a yearly battle to find the necessary buttons to push, both schematic and motivational, to stay ahead of the adjusting opponents his teams are facing. He always loses.

ouch.

He's not getting much help from his GM either:

despite the lack of success to this point, Murray is clearly good enough to win a playoff game as the centerpiece of a functional team. It’s the functional team that is missing.

Since drafting Murray with the first overall pick in the 2019 draft, the Cardinals have drafted consecutive first-round linebackers: Isaiah Simmons and Zaven Collins. Both have struggled finding playing time, and both have struggled on the field when playing. To justify the selections, veteran linebackers like De’Vondre Campbell and Jordan Hicks were ousted in free agency. Campbell immediately enjoyed success in Green Bay the year after his departure.

Campbell isn’t alone. Arizona’s 2017 first-round pick, Haason Reddick, a hybrid player who bounced from inside linebacker to outside pass rusher during his time with the Cardinals, was not extended following a 12.5-sack 2020 season, and was also immediately successful at his next stop, in Carolina. To bolster their pass rush last offseason, the Cardinals signed J.J. Watt, whose contract was so large they didn’t feel compelled this offseason to retain star pass rusher Chandler Jones, who is now in Las Vegas.

Simmons, Collins, and Watt for the price of Campbell, Hicks, Reddick and Jones is just bad business.

And the icing on the cake...

On their cap sheet and their offseason transaction list, the Cardinals are acting like a team that barely lost the Super Bowl, looking to run it back with a final push over the finish line. They extended the head coach that bears some responsibility for the late-season declines, whose offensive systems increasingly demanded draft capital and cap space spent on another new pass catcher. They extended the general manager who has overseen every misstep in roster management, enabling the blind aggression of his head coach in building out an overloaded offensive depth chart. And now, they have extended the quarterback who has yet to prove that he gives them an equal chance to win it all as the many other mammoth-contract quarterbacks do.

But they did not just lose the Super Bowl. They’re still a few rounds of playoff football away from the Super Bowl, stuck in a division with the reigning NFL champion and the NFC runner-up, and about to lose the huge competitive advantage afforded by their rookie contract quarterback. Nothing about the Cardinals screams “contender” other than the price tag of their signal caller and the extensions offered to their head coach and general manager. You can act like a contending team all you like. It doesn’t make you one.
I'll read the article. I listen to Ben quite a bit on the Ringer Football Podcast. People are confused about how to apportion blame for the second-half collapses, so they put it wherever it validates their priors.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If he’s playing well and winning games and getting us to the playoffs it will be a good “value” If he’s the kyler murray of the last six weeks last year it will be a complete waste of money.
I find it very unlikely that Kyler Murray in the last six weeks of 2021 is his permanent condition. My assertion is that if we get the Murray we've seen the past 33 weeks overall, it's a good value (good and bad). If we get they Kyler we've seen in the first half of the past two seasons for 12-14 games, we're going to get great value.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If numbers are everything according to Kyler Murray super fans. Herbert is a god then.

According to numbers then Herbert should be paid at least 10 million a year more than kyler.
He should. However, again he walked into a totally different situation. Putting up huge #s when Rivers arm was falling off at the end with the Chargers. And they added higher level offensive line talent within one year. Both things can be true.

One question Kyler desperately needs to answer is whether or not he can play effectively when he's injured. So far, he's been a far less effective QB when nicked up.

Thing is I dont think the injury impacted him at all last year. He was running better post injury than before. He just didnt play as well.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I hope Josh can turn it around.

I wasn't a fan pre draft. He seemed like a mega douche the way he was portrayed in the media. Then I read an article about how he started this scheme to raise money so all the poorer kids on the teams could afford an annual trip to Hawaii for some football thing.

Then when he was here I was really impressed by him and the way he handled himself, especially how gracious he was when we drafted Kyler. He turned up for Fitz charity baseball game just after, he made the video to fans with the joke about his condo being available. He could have played up and it would have been justified.

He's a good dude. I wish him the best.
well said. I totally misjudged him at first as well. This world needs more empathetic people.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard