Kurt will take less to give money to Q.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/53503/index.html?eref=fromSI

Fresh off taking his Cardinals to the Super Bowl, Kurt Warner joined Dan to discuss his future and where he hopes to play next season.
-Warner says it would be nice to be one of the top five highest paid quarterbacks in the NFL. Warner stresses that he wants to be compensated fairly and that he has played in Arizona with a contract below market value and now it's time to be paid according to his value.
-Warner hasn't replayed the Super Bowl in his head that much, but does remember one specific play -- the interception at the end of the first half. On that play, he was supposed to run "blazer," which is a run-pass option. He switched to the pass because Pittsburgh brough an all-out blitz. He didn't have a good sight line because he was blocked off and James Harrison intercepted the pass and ran it back for a touchdown. It never crossed Warner's mind that he'd return it all the way for a touchdown.
-Dan warns Warner that the public may not look at him fondly if he turns down a lucrative deal like Manny Ramirez. Warner understands the country's financial situation and stresses that he's just looking for fair market value and isn't trying to break the bank. He wants to keep the team together and doesn't want to ask for too much coin. Ideally, he'd like a two-year deal so he has some insurance going into the season.
-Warner would definitely take a lesser deal if it meant bringing back Anquan Boldin. Dan presses him and asks if he'd take $2 million less if he was assured the money was going to Boldin. Warner says yes, he absolutely would.
-There has been a discussion with another team, but Warner won't say which team it is. Brenda, Warner's wife, is near the phone and Dan harasses her to tell say which team her husband will play for. He admits at the end of the interview that it's an NFL team.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Much ado about nothing IMO. Its a nice gesture but the player saying it never actually does it, it has never happened before.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Now give them both 8M per and be done with it. Neither one are worth more than that to me.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
Ok here's a novel idea then. Let's sit Kurt, Q and Fitz all down in front of each other. Tell Kurt and Fitz that you both said you'd take money out of your own pockets to give to Q so let's make this work.

Everyone get's $8 million and you guys can all play in the same sand box. Just for the heck of it, let's televise the meeting as well.

Reaction score
-Warner would definitely take a lesser deal if it meant bringing back Anquan Boldin. Dan presses him and asks if he'd take $2 million less if he was assured the money was going to Boldin. Warner says yes, he absolutely would.
How about $3 million less? $4 million? :billthecat:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The interview was actually pretty funny. Dan asked him why he keeps saying the things he is saying like he only wants to play for AZ, still might retire, and so on. He keeps lowering his negotiating ability by saying those things. Warner replied yeah I know my agent yells at me every day.

Savage58

Defense, Defense, DEFENSE
Reaction score
The interview was actually pretty funny. Dan asked him why he keeps saying the things he is saying like he only wants to play for AZ, still might retire, and so on. He keeps lowering his negotiating ability by saying those things. Warner replied yeah I know my agent yells at me every day.

LOL, that is pretty funny.

Keeping it REAL Kurt!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
These are the only three scenarios I see playing out for Kurt:

1) He signs with Cards
2) He signs with KC (Who I fully believe is the "other team" in the article).
3) He retires.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
These are the only three scenarios I see playing out for Kurt:

1) He signs with Cards
2) He signs with KC (Who I fully believe is the "other team" in the article).
3) He retires.

In the interview all Warner would say after being pressed a little harder was "it is an NFC team". So it wasnt KC. Haley knows Warner wouldnt work in open air cold weather.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Great interview and Kurt was very affable...on the surface. Listening to some of his comments, though, makes me believe he really wants paid not only as a top-5 QB, but that he wants to get a little something for being 'undervalued' (in his eyes) over the last few years. I think he wants sweetener because his contract wasn't up to his standard the last few years. He didn't outright say that, but he came pretty darned close. And, if that's the case...see ya, bud.

Brewster10

Registered
Reaction score
I want to agree with Kurt, but I also look back and say that if not for AZ, Kurt would be retired right now.. we gave him a chance when nobody else would, and not only signed him, but let him compete for a starting gig.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
In the interview all Warner would say after being pressed a little harder was "it is an NFC team". So it wasnt KC. Haley knows Warner wouldnt work in open air cold weather.
No, he said "NFL team."

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I want to agree with Kurt, but I also look back and say that if not for AZ, Kurt would be retired right now.. we gave him a chance when nobody else would, and not only signed him, but let him compete for a starting gig.

Kurt doesn't owe the Cardinals anything. And, they don't "owe" him anything either. He played out his contract without bitching about it or the terms HE agreed to (unlike some others) and now is seeking the best deal he can get. Neither side is going about it wrong, at least in my opinion, they are just each protecting their own interests.

I think the Cards have, apparently, made a fair offer if they have really offered him $10+ million per (which I think is fair in today's market). If Kurt can get more from whoever, then good for him. The Cards won't be the "bad guys" if Kurt signs for more elsewhere and Kurt won't be the "bad guy" if he takes a better deal elsewhere.

As far as taking less to give to Q, that's admirable if Kurt and Fitz are able to and get it done. But, I somehow don't think the NFLPA would allow it because of the precident it may cause (especially in Fitz' case since he's already under a negotiated deal). I doubt the Cards would re-negotiate Fitz deal so soon either.

Oh well, another interesting off season in Cardinal Land.

IAWarnerFan

Warnerphile, but a Cards fan!
Reaction score
  1. Sign Boldin for $7-8M
  2. Sign Warner for $10M
We'd still have $8-9M cap room. GET IT DONE!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was underpaid the first 20 some years of my working life. I'm now awesome, so I think my current company should pay me better to make up for all those other years....

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was underpaid the first 20 some years of my working life. I'm now awesome, so I think my current company should pay me better to make up for all those other years....

This situation generally translates into "about to be laid-off".

JTS

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA