KTAR reporting we acquired Adam Dunn for prospects

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
So why doesn't Chris Young try to steal much when he does get on base? The commentators keep telling us he's got the green light.
Giving a young player the "green light" on a team that plays American League limited-strategy baseball is a fairly empty concept.

Especially a young player who must think as a leadoff hitter one day, then as a #7 hitter the next (as he was yesterday), then #2 the next (as he is tonight) -- I'm not making this up.

Adjusting to different players hitting in front of him and behind him day after day.

This is further proof that Melvin is putting too much pressure on his players to set strategy, within an instant, play by play.

It's the Manager's job, damnit, to have his players ready to excel day after day, not to put it on their shoulders. Especially young players.

Winning teams are consistent teams. The Diamondbacks are a haphazard team. They can hardly be called consistent. Chris Young is not the culprit here.

That's what I believe.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Giving a young player the "green light" on a team that plays American League limited-strategy baseball is a fairly empty concept.

Especially a young player who must think as a leadoff hitter one day, then as a #7 hitter the next (as he was yesterday), then #2 the next (as he is tonight) -- I'm not making this up.

Adjusting to different players hitting in front of him and behind him day after day.

This is further proof that Melvin is putting too much pressure on his players to set strategy, within an instant, play by play.

It's the Manager's job, damnit, to have his players ready to excel day after day, not to put it on their shoulders. Especially young players.

Winning teams are consistent teams. The Diamondbacks are a haphazard team. They can hardly be called consistent. Chris Young is not the culprit here.

That's what I believe.

BC, what is your take on the importance of platoon hitting? In other words, where do you place the value gain in batting LHB against RHP and vice versa?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC, what is your take on the importance of platoon hitting? In other words, where do you place the value gain in batting LHB against RHP and vice versa?
I like platooning if the lefty batters in a regular lineup cannot hit well vs. lefty starting pitchers, because of limited exposure in their career.

But look at how Chad Tracy became a good hitter vs. LHP just since his return from the DL.

Platooning is also a way of giving bench guys regular playing time throughout the season, to be ready to cover for injuries.

But I support platooning only if it is consistent, which is what I feel about batting orders in general.

The best example is the Miracle Mets of 1969 who went through the season, the league championship (it was the first year for that in baseball history) and the World Series with two regular, consistent lineups -- the primary one vs. RHP and the other vs. LHP.

Ironically, in the World Series, Baltimore started lefties in 4 of the 5 games. So the Mets used their secondary lineup 80% of that series. It resulted in their first World Series championship.

Four of the eight positions were platooned. Ed Kranepool, the regular 1B, hit a HR in his only start. The veteran Donn Clendennon hit 3 in his 4 starts.

Super-sub Al Weis (a backup SS) started at 2B in 4 games and had a great series. The young Ken Boswell was the 2B vs. RHP.

The veteran Ed Charles had a solid series at 3B. The young Wayne Garrett was the regular.

And Ron Swoboda had some key hits and great fielding in RF. The veteran Art Shamsky was the regular.

The other four starters were switch-hitting Bud Harrelson at SS and right-handed hitters Cleon Jones in LF, Tommy Agee in CF and catcher Jerry Grote.

The difference between Gil Hodges' platoon and Bob Melvin's irregular lineups was consistency. Two regular lineups for the Mets all season long vs. 78 different lineups in the D'backs first 85 games.

And the Mets had a balanced roster, which allowed for having balance with either platoon batting order. A leadoff hitter, a cleanup hitter, etc.

I guess you got more details than you expected in response, DWKB. :)

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like platooning if the lefty batters in a regular lineup cannot hit well vs. lefty starting pitchers, because of limited exposure in their career.

But look at how Chad Tracy became a good hitter vs. LHP just since his return from the DL.

Platooning is also a way of giving bench guys regular playing time throughout the season, to be ready to cover for injuries.

But I support platooning only if it is consistent, which is what I feel about batting orders in general.

Well the reason I ask is because it seems the issue you have with CY batting 2nd one day and 7th another overrides any consideration that CY hits .295/.373/.540 against LHP and .212/.273/.372 against RHP.

Coincidentally he also hits 2nd against LHP and 7th against RHP. CY is our CF do or die so I'd think you'd want a guy who hits .295/.373/.540 hitting 2nd in your lineup and a guy hitting .212/.273/.372 no higher than 7th (if your C hits 8th).

I'm sure if CY improves on that line against RHP that he'd end up with a more consistent spot in the batting order. Do you believe that batting order should over weigh the platoon in such a way that we stick a guy hitting .295/.373/.540 7th in the lineup or a guy hitting .212/.273/.372 2nd in the lineup? Does the fact that CY now consistently hits 7th against RHP and 2nd against LHP have any weight to your opinion?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Does the fact that CY now consistently hits 7th against RHP and 2nd against LHP have any weight to your opinion?
Melvin seems to be building some consistency in the lineup, especially now that Dunn is here and Hudson (not really a #3 hitter) is out.

It was the situation of batting Young leadoff, then 7th, then 2nd, then 6th or 8th that, I believe, made his early development suffer.

Hopefully it will stay in a good direction now. And, yes, batting Young in one of two spots consistently, depending on whether a RHP or LHP is starting ties in with my previous post.

In the case I cited -- the Miracle Mets -- Tommy Agee was a speedy RH power hitter batting leadoff vs. RHP, and third vs. LHP. And he was a veteran player.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
young has let a lot of catchable, divable balls drop, but he also runs down some unbelievable balls. Like to see him turn into an all around defender

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn