Kokoskovs offense

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the bottom line: up 3 with 5 on the clock, Igor should have been clear and firm about fouling
rather than conditional, or uncommitted enough that the players felt switching was his preference

nice guy. long time assistant. Igor is probably not confident in Igor, and neither are the players

so many blowouts, chocking a 20 pt lead, i'm sure it's in everyone's head at this point

The Suns were up 8 with 1:37 to go in the game. How they choked it away like they did is still a mystery to me. It happened so fast that I can't blame them for screwing up the final play because that's all they had been doing in the 4th was screwing up.

You can read the play by play of the 4th quarter to relive in the choke job but it doesn't seem like it's a real game. It honestly reads like a video game where someone unplugged their friends controller so they could force overtime.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/pbp/201811080PHO.html#q4

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Why are Booker, Ayton, and Canaan lying then?

Maybe they're both telling the truth and it was a miscommunication issue, I'm not sure. Based on what I've seen and heard from Kokoskov up to this point I don't think he's earned benefit of doubt. My issues is how he basically did lie with his comments about Bridges being a go-to guy in end game scenarios. I understand going with the guys who brought you there to a degree but a change should have been made once they choked away 10 points of their lead. It was obvious that lineup wasn't working.

If it's one group or the other, the players or the coaches, I believe the players. It could have been a communication error though and then neither side was lying. I think there's a strong possibility of that happening. I think that's more likely than either group lying and in that case, why was there miscommunication? Was it Kokoskov's accent, the players not listening to the instructions as close as they should. I don't know. It's pointless to try to nail down at this point.
Pointless? For us or them? For the team it's everything. They need to all get on the same page and make sure this never happens again.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
the bottom line: up 3 with 5 on the clock, Igor should have been clear and firm about fouling
rather than conditional, or uncommitted enough that the players felt switching was his preference

nice guy. long time assistant. Igor is probably not confident in Igor, and neither are the players

so many blowouts, chocking a 20 pt lead, i'm sure it's in everyone's head at this point
choking* (Sorry, but that misspelling always bothers me)

Also I wouldn't say that he lacks confidence in himself, but is simply learning as he goes. He is going to have some errors in judgment, but that is fine as long as he learns from those mistakes over time. He has already seemed to have learned from some of his mistakes already and that will hopefully continue as he gets more experience.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The Suns were up 8 with 1:37 to go in the game. How they choked it away like they did is still a mystery to me. It happened so fast that I can't blame them for screwing up the final play because that's all they had been doing in the 4th was screwing up.

You can read the play by play of the 4th quarter to relive in the choke job but it doesn't seem like it's a real game. It honestly reads like a video game where someone unplugged their friends controller so they could force overtime.

One guy steps up and makes a shot or Booker makes both free throws or they handle the last defensive possession in regulation better and they win the game. Just everything that needed to happen for Boston to make that comeback happened.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
You really think he would lie to the press about that? For what purpose?
There is a fine line between not sharing your strategy with the Press and fans . . . and lying to cover your butt for a bad decision (if that was the case). Or the inability to reach his players. Or if the players disregarded him. Nothing positive has come out of this.

No matter what, this should not be an issue on a professional team. Something is drastically wrong!

As I posted earlier, no matter which explanation, it indicates a coach's loss of control. Especially when you consider Igor's passive personality and the Hornacek coaching syndrome, trying to please everyone. And what he is doing to Ayton by stationing him at the high post, putting him out of range for a pick-and-roll.

After all of the General Manager and Head Coach turnovers we've seen, it is really, really sad that here we go again. Also without a permanent General Manager in place.

This clearly indicates that Robert Sarver is repeatedly incompetent as Managing Partner, which has become accepted by just about every member of this board.

His negative leadership may not be as offensive as Donald Sterling's was in San Diego (Sarver's adopted business base), but the NBA should realize that he has ruined what was once a solid franchise.

The only answer would be to somehow arrange a new Managing Partner who will hire a talented General Manager who will hire a talented Head Coach and staff. It would make sense with a new person at the top. But if Sarver would be the one to do it again, it would just be another nail in his coffin. There is not room for many more nails.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

LMAO! I have actually done the unplug their controller manuever!

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
There is a fine line between not sharing your strategy with the Press and fans . . . and lying to cover your butt for a bad decision (if that was the case). Or the inability to reach his players. Or if the players disregarded him. Nothing positive has come out of this.

No matter what, this should not be an issue on a professional team. Something is drastically wrong!

As I posted earlier, no matter which explanation, it indicates a coach's loss of control. Especially when you consider Igor's passive personality and the Hornacek coaching syndrome, trying to please everyone. And what he is doing to Ayton by stationing him at the high post, putting him out of range for a pick-and-roll.

After all of the General Manager and Head Coach turnovers we've seen, it is really, really sad that here we go again. Also without a permanent General Manager in place.

This clearly indicates that Robert Sarver is repeatedly incompetent as Managing Partner, which has become accepted by just about every member of this board.

His negative leadership may not be as offensive as Donald Sterling's was in San Diego (Sarver's adopted business base), but the NBA should realize that he has ruined what was once a solid franchise.

The only answer would be to somehow arrange a new Managing Partner who will hire a talented General Manager who will hire a talented Head Coach and staff. It would make sense with a new person at the top. But if Sarver would be the one to do it again, it would just be another nail in his coffin. There is not room for many more nails.
I agree, Cover your team in the press. If it is their fault, then chew them out in private!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave