Kokoskov: Brandon Knight is the starting PG for the Suns

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But when people choose to do something, they can change and choose to do something else. If they don't have the necessary skill set or physical limitations... well, there is no changing that. Take Ulis as an example- no matter what he chooses to do, he is not an NBA player. He can't magically grow five inches. Knight CAN shoot, dribble, pass, even play some defense. He just chooses not to pass instead of taking bad shots. That CAN change.

EDIT: For the record, I don't think Knight will change, but he certainly could if he wanted to.
I am in agreement with this. I have to wonder why Watson did not hold him accountable for his play. He actually played pretty decently under Hornacek, at least for the first few months of the 2015-16 season. I remember a 30 point 15 assist game against the Lakers, I think.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, does that make you optimistic or pessimistic?

I wouldn't like wasting Ayton's first season finding out. We saw what happened in the Summer League when he wasn't being fed.
If Knight doesn't feed the beast, sit him and pay Shaq. If Shaq doesn't feed him, sit him and play Okobo, if Okobo doesn't, run JJ at the point, if he doesn't run Mikal at the point. Then start around with second chances, all the while looking for a pg that will pass the ball.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Knight doesn't feed the beast, sit him and pay Shaq. If Shaq doesn't feed him, sit him and play Okobo, if Okobo doesn't, run JJ at the point, if he doesn't run Mikal at the point. Then start around with second chances, all the while looking for a pg that will pass the ball.

Dudley's going to be running the point by the end of the year, isn't he?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dudley's going to be running the point by the end of the year, isn't he?
I don't think it will be as big of an issue as others do. When you look at Igor's half court offense, it does not depend upon a point guard to create. The point guard brings the ball down and makes the initial pass and then he sets screens and cuts just like everyone else.

BK will be fine in that situation unless he disregards the initial pass to play 1 on 5. But in that case he is abandoning the entire offense.

One of the Suns' problems for the last 8 years is that they have tried to run a Steve Nash style offense without Steve Nash.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am in agreement with this. I have to wonder why Watson did not hold him accountable for his play. He actually played pretty decently under Hornacek, at least for the first few months of the 2015-16 season. I remember a 30 point 15 assist game against the Lakers, I think.

Bledsoe and Watson were both repped by Rich Paul. I'm not sure if that effected how Watson handled assigning roles to players but I think the situation with Knight was handled poorly in the year he started as a reserve. There was no competition for the start guard spots, it was announced that Bledsoe and Booker would start with Knight playing as a Sixth Man. Knight seemed caught off guard by that news. I don't think Watson put him in a position to where he could even challenge for the starting PG or SG roles. It was handled poorly but I'm not sure if Watson's inexperience is to blame or the fact that he was a Rich Paul client also.

Another thing I thought was worth mentioning about a PG to feed Ayton, Amare's first year in the league he had Marbury as the team's PG. Marbury was not a pass-first PG or a traditional PG in any way. He was a scorer but Amare still found ways to be productive and win Rookie of the Year. Ayton may be capable of doing the same. I'm not that worried about who the PG is effecting Ayton that much. He'll score when he's able and he'll also have the chance to add 2nd chance points if he's playing with 4 perimeter players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Bledsoe and Watson were both repped by Rich Paul. I'm not sure if that effected how Watson handled assigning roles to players but I think the situation with Knight was handled poorly in the year he started as a reserve. There was no competition for the start guard spots, it was announced that Bledsoe and Booker would start with Knight playing as a Sixth Man. Knight seemed caught off guard by that news. I don't think Watson put him in a position to where he could even challenge for the starting PG or SG roles. It was handled poorly but I'm not sure if Watson's inexperience is to blame or the fact that he was a Rich Paul client also.

Another thing I thought was worth mentioning about a PG to feed Ayton, Amare's first year in the league he had Marbury as the team's PG. Marbury was not a pass-first PG or a traditional PG in any way. He was a scorer but Amare still found ways to be productive and win Rookie of the Year. Ayton may be capable of doing the same. I'm not that worried about who the PG is effecting Ayton that much. He'll score when he's able and he'll also have the chance to add 2nd chance points if he's playing with 4 perimeter players.
I remember reading articles where they wanted Knight to shoot first, be aggressive, and be the ideal sixth man. Then he would enter games, put up a couple shots and the coach would bench him immediately! This went on for a while until he got hurt. I also remember the season before where they wanted him to be a PG, and he would pass first, and they benched him for not shooting enough. From the outside it seemed like he was a scapegoat by previous coaching staffs. That first season he played for us, it was nothing but smiles. Then they tried to slot him into roles, and it just never seemed to work. I think if you play him, you just let him play his game. The putting him into roles, maybe he just overdoes what they ask, at the negative to his overall game. I know I have coached kids where you mention, hey dribble a little more, then next game that's ALL they do!

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
So, does that make you optimistic or pessimistic?

I wouldn't like wasting Ayton's first season finding out. We saw what happened in the Summer League when he wasn't being fed.

That makes me a person with an opinion who is open to being wrong, while trying to be objective.

As for Ayton, I think you have this fantasy where offense is gonna run through him in the low post. Even if the Suns had a real point guard, that's unlikely to happen. He'll get a few touches in the paint, but I have a feeling he will get more lobs than post-ups. I get it, you want a John Stockton/ Steve Nash at 1. We all do. Suns don't have one, and there doesn't appear to be one in free agency or trade market.

You have this black and white, idealistic way of thinking, and I appreciate that, but the world doesn't work that way. Knight is the best the Suns have right now, so they have to roll with him. I am guessing they'll look for a point guard next summer unless one becomes available during the season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Knight sucks but he is a 36% 3 pt shooter. This dropped with the Suns because he was often forced to create his own shot which he cannot do. He might have value if he can bring the ball up the court, deliver it to Booker and set up at the 3 pt line. This takes pressure off Booker.

IMO the Suns are gonna get a lot of mileage out of Booker and Ayton running the PNR. If everybody else can spot up and/or make cuts to the rim Booker and Ayton are both good passers and should be able to get them the ball when teams collapse on the PNR.

I'm no expert but from what I've seen Booker and Ayton is gonna be pretty formidable.

Defense? I have no idea.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Knight sucks but he is a 36% 3 pt shooter. This dropped with the Suns because he was often forced to create his own shot which he cannot do. He might have value if he can bring the ball up the court, deliver it to Booker and set up at the 3 pt line. This takes pressure off Booker.

IMO the Suns are gonna get a lot of mileage out of Booker and Ayton running the PNR. If everybody else can spot up and/or make cuts to the rim Booker and Ayton are both good passers and should be able to get them the ball when teams collapse on the PNR.

I'm no expert but from what I've seen Booker and Ayton is gonna be pretty formidable.

Defense? I have no idea.
Yeah I’m pretty confident our offense is about to make a leap. Beginning of season? Likely not. But eventually. Igor will see to that. Defense a much bigger question.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ayton needs to learn how to post up before you can feed him. This is not college ball anymore, how many times did the ball get stolen from ayton this summer. Everyone says it was bad passing but some of the blame is on ayton. Starting line-up could be the vets. Knight, Booker, Warren, Chandler and Aviza

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Ayton needs to learn how to post up before you can feed him. This is not college ball anymore, how many times did the ball get stolen from ayton this summer. Everyone says it was bad passing but some of the blame is on ayton. Starting line-up could be the vets. Knight, Booker, Warren, Chandler and Aviza
Ayton has got strong hands. He will learn to put pressure with the ball with both hands and keep it high. I was listening to AZ Sports radio yesterday and the Deadpool screenwriter who is a Suns fan and is from the Valley was talking about a moment in Summer League play where Ayton pounded the ball with two hands and it made a booming sound that reverberated throughout Thomas & Mack center. He said that was his most impressive moment at Summer League.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ayton has got strong hands. He will learn to put pressure with the ball with both hands and keep it high. I was listening to AZ Sports radio yesterday and the Deadpool screenwriter who is a Suns fan and is from the Valley was talking about a moment in Summer League play where Ayton pounded the ball with two hands and it made a booming sound that reverberated throughout Thomas & Mack center. He said that was his most impressive moment at Summer League.

I was there, and I know the exact moment you're referencing. You couldn't miss it.