Kobe is no Michael Jordan

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are almost all quotes lifted from The Jordan Rules (great book, btw, linked on the first post) that were collected and posted by a poster (a legit poster, not a troll guy) on Lakersground. I've read all the quotes before, but never saw them all laid out like that. Thought it was funny, and even though I read that book seeing it as a stream of pissed off MJ was a little surprising.
Sorry--I must have been skimming a little bit--I totally missed that you linked it in your first post.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh? The gambling thing was all over the place during the playoffs in 93 - talking about the golfing debts, then the stories about Jordan going to AC during the Knicks series... it got so bad that Michael boycotted the entire media, even Ahmad Rashad during the Finals and it was supposedly one of the main reasons he retired. But yeah, the gambling was "never" a topic of the mainstream media.

talk about revisionist history. His gambling problem became THE story of the playoffs during the Bulls three-peat year.

And died fast. Are you telling me that the same story TODAY wouldn't get more play and be on every blog and discussed to death and then some? The point is that in 93, the media were very different than today, since now the Internet is the driver of news and rumor and everything else. Maybe mainstream media wasn't the right choice of phrase, because what I'm talking about didn't exist then...the mainstream media today is nothing but the Internet takes its reports and goes wild with them. Stories died back then, and fast...today stories never die and they just grow exponentially. Jordan today would probably catch a HELL of a lot more flack.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exactly. I think Donald has a selective memory. This stuff was all over the place and MJ was severely criticized in the media.

Also, I think that comparing gabling to rape or breaking up a franchise is a tad higher on the totem in public opinion.

agree with that also. as far as the gambling thing, I can remember it so clearly because, well, with the Suns making a run to the Finals everything going on in the East was huge because I knew we could beat NY, but thought we'd lose to Chicago so I was hoping the constant gambling reports would prove a distraction to MJ. Maybe D-Dog doesn't remember because he wasn't following the playoffs that closely due to the Lakes being in a down period after Magic, not to mention they suffered a pretty epic collapse against us blowing a 2-0 lead in the first round to Bark and the boys (still can't believe we almost lost that series - thank God Byron missed that wide-open jumper as time expired in regulation!).

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And died fast. Are you telling me that the same story TODAY wouldn't get more play and be on every blog and discussed to death and then some? The point is that in 93, the media were very different than today, since now the Internet is the driver of news and rumor and everything else. Maybe mainstream media wasn't the right choice of phrase, because what I'm talking about didn't exist then...the mainstream media today is nothing but the Internet takes its reports and goes wild with them. Stories died back then, and fast...today stories never die and they just grow exponentially. Jordan today would probably catch a HELL of a lot more flack.

it died because Michael made the story go away by a) winning and b) SHOCKING the entire world by deciding to play baseball. However, it didn't die all that fast... hell when Jordan's dad was murdered a year later, people were speculating on whether it was mob related/gambling related.

again, you're looking at this with revisionist history.

if you're point is it would have been worse now, well, yeah, probably a little but like yoou said, the media is SOOOOOO much different now as far as being everywhere. and even with that being said, unless it was shown that MJ was gambling on his own sport, it wouldn't have mattered all that much. And the only reason Kobe's extra-marrital affairs are brought up is because of the rape thing - everyone knows all those guys are as big of players off the court as they are on it.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
agree with that also. as far as the gambling thing, I can remember it so clearly because, well, with the Suns making a run to the Finals everything going on in the East was huge because I knew we could beat NY, but thought we'd lose to Chicago so I was hoping the constant gambling reports would prove a distraction to MJ. Maybe D-Dog doesn't remember because he wasn't following the playoffs that closely due to the Lakes being in a down period after Magic,

Correct, I wasn't following the finals...about as closely as i followed this year's.

not to mention they suffered a pretty epic collapse against us blowing a 2-0 lead in the first round to Bark and the boys (still can't believe we almost lost that series - thank God Byron missed that wide-open jumper as time expired in regulation!).

:mad: You are trying to ruin my day or what??

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just don't understand the reasoning of posting this on an Arizona sports board :confused:

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't understand the reasoning of posting this on an Arizona sports board :confused:

This is the smack shack.

I don't understand the reasoning of posting a lot of stuff on an Arizona sports board, but we do.

People are enjoying responding though, and at least I put it in the right forum. This is where the board's Lakerfans have been directed to congregate. :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct, I wasn't following the finals...about as closely as i followed this year's.

that's too bad. it was the most entertaining NBA Finals in the last 20 years, probably the only great one with classic games, personality, etc., etc. since Lakers-Pistons 1.

:mad: You are trying to ruin my day or what??

yes. :)

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's too bad. it was the most entertaining NBA Finals in the last 20 years, probably the only great one with classic games, personality, etc., etc. since Lakers-Pistons 1.

I watched maybe one of the games, and saw some others in the background at a dinner, etc. I was bitter back then--that was not a good time. :(

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched maybe one of the games, and saw some others in the background at a dinner, etc. I was bitter back then--that was not a good time. :(

that Finals really had it all - a pretty bad game 1 where the Suns were just outclassed,but a close Game 2 that ended with Pippen blocking Ainge's potential game-tying three... then everyone counting the Suns out as being swept and coming back in one of the greatest games of all time, taking Game 3 in 3OT, then coming back in a tight Game four where MJ dropped 55 on us to beat us by 4, then the "save the city" game where everyone assumed again the Finals were over and the Suns came out and kicked the crap out of the Bulls, then the infamous "Paxson for 3" - just ups and downs, great performances, huge shots, andthe two most entertaining players in the game.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
then the "save the city" game where everyone assumed again the Finals were over and the Suns came out and kicked the crap out of the Bulls,

That's the one I saw...

then the infamous "Paxson for 3" - just ups and downs, great performances, huge shots, andthe two most entertaining players in the game.

That one I saw in the background while out to eat.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kobe throws Shaq under the bus when he gets caught with his pants down, then makes a pass at Karl Malone's wife. Yeah he's not Jordan :roll:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe throws Shaq under the bus when he gets caught with his pants down, then makes a pass at Karl Malone's wife. Yeah he's not Jordan :roll:

Recall that Malone hit on Vanessa Bryant.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Malone hit on Vanessa. He was "hunting for little mexican girls."

Your post makes me think though...what does Malone's wife look like? He's a redneck, so maybe he has a redneck woman?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Your post makes me think though...what does Malone's wife look like? He's a redneck, so maybe he has a redneck woman?

She was Miss Idaho or some sort of beauty queen.... I-Da-HO

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard