Kobe is no Michael Jordan

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw, I've always hated Jordan, too.

At least I don't have the "double standard".

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're right, Kobe is no MJ....MJ has 6 rings as the focal point of his team, Kobe has zero.

Jordan was an ass....but he was an ass that would win. Period.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think its cuz you know that Kobe is gone and all the Kobe defending you did was for naught...

No, I don't think Kobe is gone. But, I quote all this because I've heard more than once in the media that Kobe is an ass for wanting to be traded. He *may* be history for the Lakers, but he isn't in the wrong in his comments about the team. And the revisionist history with Jordan is always a favorite topic of mine.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fwiw, I've always hated Jordan, too.

At least I don't have the "double standard".

That's fantastic. :thumbup: i have much respect for that. I don't care if people hate Kobe..he's kind of a ****. But those who revere Jordan and hate Kobe have a screw loose.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I a jerk if I agree that Will Purdue wasn't any good?

No, and the Will Vanderbilt line is possibly my favorite Jordan quote of all time. Quite clever in ripping him.

But you are a jerk anyway, just on your own merits. :D

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Why don't you just blow Kobe and get it over with. This manlove is getting ridiculous
It will all end in a couple weeks when Kobe gets traded to the Bulls.

D-Dogg seems like a guys that cheers for the uniform and not the player so I expect him to renounce his Kobe fandom as most Lakers fans did Shaq in 2003.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg seems like a guys that cheers for the uniform and not the player so I expect him to renounce his Kobe fandom as most Lakers fans did Shaq in 2003.

I think that is what being a true fan is all about. You root for those that wear your colors, not guys who were there or you wish were there.

Sure I stopped rooting for Shaq, but that doesnt change what he did for the Lakers and the great memories I have of him in the uni.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would anybody need to read a bunch of quotes to determine who was the better player? I could care less who said what. The only think I use to determine who was the better player is my own eyes. Kobe just doesn't hold a candle to MJ. MJ was a better defender. Also, I don't remember MJ disappearing for an entire half during big playoff games either.

So what if Kobe is no MJ. He is still the best player in the league right now. I don't understand the big deal here?! When Kobe's career is said and done, if he is up there but a notch or 2 below MJ, is that a bad thing?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See, I knew that if I put Kobe in the title you guys would come running. Hell you two practically knocked each other over trying to post first.

Now, dust yourself off, go read MJ's quotes and then get back to me about how big of an ***** Kobe is...wait..Jordan...wait...both are aholes. But which one gets a pass?

the one who wins and who didn't go public, crying (literally in some cases) like a little baby?

basically, the man wins. he always does.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, and the Will Vanderbilt line is possibly my favorite Jordan quote of all time. Quite clever in ripping him.

But you are a jerk anyway, just on your own merits. :D

I predicted the "jerk anyway" response.
:thumbup:

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would anybody need to read a bunch of quotes to determine who was the better player?

I wasn't making any statement about playing styles...just that one gets a pass for his comments and the other one gets blasted.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will all end in a couple weeks when Kobe gets traded to the Bulls.

If Kobe's traded I won't be a fan of his new team. However, I will wish him well and hope he has success except when he plays the Lakers. I did not feel the same way about Shaq, because I have a measure of dislike for him in general because he's lazy and doesn't have the desire to be the greatest ever...if he actually tried, he would have been the greatest of all time hands down, and by a wide margin....instead he coasted on his talent and is still one of the best ever. I never liked Shaq's attitude, but I loved him winning rings for my team.

But I'm more concerned with how the Lakers recover if they trade Ocho.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If they can get Deng/Gordon/Expiring K/#9 then you have to take the deal. Lakers get a budding superstar with a head on his shoulders in Deng, instant offense and a guy who could probably play triangle PG in Gordon, money coming off the books, and a top 10 pick in a very deep draft which could conceivably be manuevered into the Chinese kid who looks like a player and would be very marketable in LA.

Chicago would still have Hinrich, Kobe, Ty Thomas, Wallace, and Nocioni filling out their starting five and be a FA magnet as they would be a heavy favorite to win the East for the next three of four years.

The problem you have is your GM is incompetent and your psuedo-owner is a spoiled cokehead who's been a complete failure in every professional attempt he's ever tried. So I fully expect Kobe to sulk for the next two years and leave for nothing or sulk for one year and leave for fifty cents on the dollar once their hand is forced.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they can get Deng/Gordon/Expiring K/#9 then you have to take the deal. Lakers get a budding superstar with a head on his shoulders in Deng, instant offense and a guy who could probably play triangle PG in Gordon, money coming off the books, and a top 10 pick in a very deep draft which could conceivably be manuevered into the Chinese kid who looks like a player and would be very marketable in LA.

Chicago would still have Hinrich, Kobe, Ty Thomas, Wallace, and Nocioni filling out their starting five and be a FA magnet as they would be a heavy favorite to win the East for the next three of four years.

The problem you have is your GM is incompetent and your psuedo-owner is a spoiled cokehead who's been a complete failure in every professional attempt he's ever tried. So I fully expect Kobe to sulk for the next two years and leave for nothing or sulk for one year and leave for fifty cents on the dollar once their hand is forced.

I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said there. Especially the Jim Buss comment and it is scary that it is probably because of Jimmy that all this is going down. He better pray that Bynum turns into at least half the player he thinks he will.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the Chinese kid who looks like a player and would be very marketable in LA.

I would love to somehow get Yi, and actually wouldn't be overly surprised to see a Kobe trade to Chicago on draft day if Yi goes to the Bulls at 9. I wouldn't like it, but I could see it happening.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't making any statement about playing styles...just that one gets a pass for his comments and the other one gets blasted.

Neither was I. I was referring to ability. However, in terms of comments....I remember MJ getting plenty of criticism in his day about stuff he did and stuff he said. I hardly call that a pass. Even in terms of comments by both, Kobe is really a victim of his own doing.

True or not, Kobe was blamed for breaking up the Lakers. MJ didn't have that same stigma. Guilty or Not Kobe was accused of a very high profile crime in rape. MJ was not. Based on those 2 incidents alone (true or not) that's the reason Kobe is criticized and under more scrutiny then MJ ever was.

It doesn't mean MJ was a saint. He wasn't. I think most fans know that. It just means aside from MJ being more talented then Kobe, he was also a bit smarter then Kobe too.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't mean MJ was a saint. He wasn't. I think most fans know that. It just means aside from MJ being more talented then Kobe, he was also more discreet than Kobe too.
ftfy...(which, yes, I know, translates into smarter)

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he was also a bit smarter then Kobe too.

His mistress that he paid off and was sued by, and his gambling and all the other stuff NEVER was topic of mainstream media. It wasn't a smarter thing...just a "different" thing. More a commentary on the media than anything else. He got a big hall pass from the media because if they wanted to throw stones at him, he was a good target. Yeah, Kobe put himself in the positions to be blasted by the media, so he's dumber in that regard. But the media wouldn't touch Jordan and even now, wouldn't touch his legacy.

Just commentary...and I don't think most fans remember dick Jordan, just winning Jordan. Dick Jordan was actually pretty funny though...some of those quotes are priceless.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And really, this thread is just a look at the words, and if you didn't know who said them you'd assume it to be Kobe, especially the ones in my sig and his pissing match with the Lakers front office. I'd be fooled into thinking they were Kobe quotes, and I'm sure many others would be too. I wonder if anyone is surprised to see they are from MJ.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was. I knew he was an ass, but I didn't know he was THAT big of an ass...where'd you get the quotes from, anyway? I always wonder about that sort of thing, because I could post quotes & have them be complete b.s.... Not saying that's what you're doing, just wondering what your source is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His mistress that he paid off and was sued by, and his gambling and all the other stuff NEVER was topic of mainstream media. It wasn't a smarter thing...just a "different" thing.

huh? The gambling thing was all over the place during the playoffs in 93 - talking about the golfing debts, then the stories about Jordan going to AC during the Knicks series... it got so bad that Michael boycotted the entire media, even Ahmad Rashad during the Finals and it was supposedly one of the main reasons he retired. But yeah, the gambling was "never" a topic of the mainstream media.

talk about revisionist history. His gambling problem became THE story of the playoffs during the Bulls three-peat year.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was. I knew he was an ass, but I didn't know he was THAT big of an ass...where'd you get the quotes from, anyway? I always wonder about that sort of thing, because I could post quotes & have them be complete b.s.... Not saying that's what you're doing, just wondering what your source is.

They are almost all quotes lifted from The Jordan Rules (great book, btw, linked on the first post) that were collected and posted by a poster (a legit poster, not a troll guy) on Lakersground. I've read all the quotes before, but never saw them all laid out like that. Thought it was funny, and even though I read that book seeing it as a stream of pissed off MJ was a little surprising.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
huh? The gambling thing was all over the place during the playoffs in 93 - talking about the golfing debts, then the stories about Jordan going to AC during the Knicks series... it got so bad that Michael boycotted the entire media, even Ahmad Rashad during the Finals and it was supposedly one of the main reasons he retired. But yeah, the gambling was "never" a topic of the mainstream media.

talk about revisionist history. His gambling problem became THE story of the playoffs during the Bulls three-peat year.

Exactly. I think Donald has a selective memory. This stuff was all over the place and MJ was severely criticized in the media.

Also, I think that comparing gabling to rape or breaking up a franchise is a tad higher on the totem in public opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard