Kliff Kingsbury Interview Today

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kingsbury is an unquestioned offensive genius. As for the record at TT, try recruiting against Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and TCU. You ain't gonna win many of
those recruiting battles.

He better hire top-flight assistant coaches including all three coordinators if he's the choice. I reserve judgment on this one until I see
his press conference and the NFL experience level of his coaching staff.

Additionally Lubbock is not really an exciting city to live.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interviewing today and should be named HC this week. The next big announcement...what veteran coaches and DC did he hire.
I could see MB and Keim 'assigning' Kingsbury a DC; Bowles, Pagano, or someone and let Kingsbury be in control of the offense. Then after a few years if the D isn't doing much, they'd let Kingsbury find his own DC.

So rumor is KK was flown to AZ on board Bidwills plane, I am sure that flight time wasn't wasted napping. Today's interview might just be wrapping up any questions that came up after the flight here, so a second interview in everything but title.
It might have been napping. I believe MB is his own pilot and if it were a night flight, Kingsbury might have needed a nap.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The plan here has to be adding a veteran DC, adding Bosa with the 1st pick, and let him and Chandler Jones hunt QBs. Let PP do his thing again rather than wasting his talents. This defense would be deadly.

On the offensive side, let KK do his thing and move the offense, chew some clock while scoring some points. Just like the Bears did this season. Rosen under McCoy/Wilks is just like Trubisky was under John Fox.

Can't fix it all in one offseason. But if we are competitive in most games and improve our winning record, nobody can complain. Our defense has to go back to its old ways which doesn't need magic but just common sense, while possibly adding a great pass rusher into the mix. On offense it's all about Rosen improving. Protection would help, as well as KK's quick hitting system. Plus get DJ going and let him be the engine of our offense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I could see MB and Keim 'assigning' Kingsbury a DC; Bowles, Pagano, or someone and let Kingsbury be in control of the offense. Then after a few years if the D isn't doing much, they'd let Kingsbury find his own DC.

It might have been napping. I believe MB is his own pilot and if it were a night flight, Kingsbury might have needed a nap.

I think a G4 requires a co pilot, I could be wrong but I have never seen one without a 2 person flight crew--in that case Bidwill could leave the flight controls for a while. I am sure either way Keim was with him and they could have had informal discussions.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Let's be real here, there is going to be a huge learning curve here going from college to the pros and it's almost never wildly succesful.

I'm not one to set my thinking in stone but this is not something to get excited about yet.

Even if they land him, which they probably will as it's very alluring, he's going to have huge mountains to climb.

A... Our offensive line is still offensive, this can be schemed around to an extent but only so much you can do about it.

B... He's never run a pro team before, it's a bucking bronco, too harsh you get tuned out, too light you get walked on, above all if you don't prove pretty quick you're smarter than the other HC's teams lose interest in you fast so he doesn't have a ton of time to get all his learning in. He's got a solid year if he's not too bad but by year two it starts to get real.

C... It's a huge leap of thinking to start evaluating talent on a pro level when you've been in college, everyone looks awesome, it's just a new mindset, not saying he won't adjust, he will but he doesn't have years of looking at pro players every day so again he's got to have a bit of rose colored glasses syndrome.

Best thing that can happen is he packs all that into one year takes some lumps on the head and keeps the right mindset that it's going to take time for him to learn the NFL level game.

This isn't to say he doesn't already know this but still doing it is a lot different than thinking it in your head. He has to catch up to most of the NFL just in terms of like every day sort of muscle memory.

It's not usually that successful again I would mention this.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The plan here has to be adding a veteran DC, adding Bosa with the 1st pick, and let him and Chandler Jones hunt QBs. Let PP do his thing again rather than wasting his talents. This defense would be deadly.

On the offensive side, let KK do his thing and move the offense, chew some clock while scoring some points. Just like the Bears did this season. Rosen under McCoy/Wilks is just like Trubisky was under John Fox.

Can't fix it all in one offseason. But if we are competitive in most games and improve our winning record, nobody can complain. Our defense has to go back to its old ways which doesn't need magic but just common sense, while possibly adding a great pass rusher into the mix. On offense it's all about Rosen improving. Protection would help, as well as KK's quick hitting system. Plus get DJ going and let him be the engine of our offense.

If Kingsbury can put together a dynamic offense and jump on top early, the old Indy formula of two dynamite pass rushing defensive ends against an opponent trying to catch up is golden.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Excellent analysis when comparing the Trubisky, fox and the Bears situation. Spot on. Fox sucked...Wilks sucked. Trubisky struggled, Rosen struggled. Bears defense looked adequate at times but were on the field way too much and seldom played with a lead. The same could be said for our defense. The big difference is DC Fangio stayed on staff as they added on two great linebackers. Let’s do this![/QUOTE]

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Let's be real here, there is going to be a huge learning curve here going from college to the pros and it's almost never wildly succesful.

I'm not one to set my thinking in stone but this is not something to get excited about yet.

Even if they land him, which they probably will as it's very alluring, he's going to have huge mountains to climb.

A... Our offensive line is still offensive, this can be schemed around to an extent but only so much you can do about it.

B... He's never run a pro team before, it's a bucking bronco, too harsh you get tuned out, too light you get walked on, above all if you don't prove pretty quick you're smarter than the other HC's teams lose interest in you fast so he doesn't have a ton of time to get all his learning in. He's got a solid year if he's not too bad but by year two it starts to get real.

C... It's a huge leap of thinking to start evaluating talent on a pro level when you've been in college, everyone looks awesome, it's just a new mindset, not saying he won't adjust, he will but he doesn't have years of looking at pro players every day so again he's got to have a bit of rose colored glasses syndrome.

Best thing that can happen is he packs all that into one year takes some lumps on the head and keeps the right mindset that it's going to take time for him to learn the NFL level game.

This isn't to say he doesn't already know this but still doing it is a lot different than thinking it in your head. He has to catch up to most of the NFL just in terms of like every day sort of muscle memory.

All very true, but worse-come-to-worse, he can bury himself in developing Rosen this year and if his play improves, all the other shortcomings will wash over him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Sounds like they are prepared to make a quicker decision if they are confident of the direction they want to go on the other side of the ball. Stay tuned.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yup and with a coach like this you can sell that to the fans. Check back after 3yrs, though.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is not going to be easy by no means. But he would inject some excitement in this offense and our personnel. That is exactly what Matt Nagy did in Chicago. The big key here is his DC needs to be an experienced guy that can take the defensive worries off his plate.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
so.
getting greg williams as DC would be a win. But we dont really win like that.

anybody know who the DC guys are who are connected to KK?? The guy with enough experience that KK will never have to look at the defense again?

or do we think he is gonna have to hire a guy he just met?? Maybe interview him with MBSK?

anyone notice, for the next few years we might be bitching about SKKK on the board?
how about SK3? might be a better moniker....

anyway,...defensive coordinators...who is connected?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
“I played with Kliff and we have been friends ever since,” Brady said on WEEI, via NBCSportsBoston.com. “I see him from time to time. He’s been a friend of mine for a long time. Kliff has done a great job at Texas Tech, and I know he’s at USC, but it doesn’t surprise me that a lot of teams are interested. He’s just a great football mind and will be successful wherever he’s at.”

https://www.nj.com/jets/2019/01/tom...p-with-patriots-after-resigning-from-usc.html
That's it... hire KK, trade for TB12...get 2 years of mentorship for Rosen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
so.

anybody know who the DC guys are who
are connected to KK?? The guy with enough experience that KK will never have to look at the defense again?

or do we think he is gonna have to hire a guy he just met?? Maybe interview him with MBSK?

anyone notice, for the next few years we might be bitching about SKKK on the board?

We want a failed HC as our DC, someone who has shown they are a DC genius but terrible HC, the DC version of Norv Turner, so basically Wade Philips.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so.

anybody know who the DC guys are who are connected to KK?? The guy with enough experience that KK will never have to look at the defense again?

I officially vote for SK3. Putting 3 k’s together is never a good thing. Of course at this point we are putting the cart before the horse.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher hasn't been a DC since 1994, with the Houston Oilers...I think we can do better finding a mentor/experienced DC.