kerouac9 is either McCown or his agent! Or Josh's Sister..

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He must be because he is the only person on this board that thinks McCown is definitely the future no doubt about it.

In his world there is absolutely positively no way no how are we going to do anything to upgrade the "future QB" situation. We are with Josh and that is it! If we were guaranteed that person X would be the Brett Farve of the future...nope no thanks we have Josh. In Josh we Trust!

kerouac9 you should change your sig to "In Josh we Trust..there is no one else!:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though I am not sure I agree with him 100%, I think kerouac does have a point. Simply put, McCown was touted as the QB of the future when he was picked. In some ways it could be considered a wasted pick if the Cards draft Palmer or Leftwich...or even Boller in the first round (krang will tell you it is never a waste to draft a QB but there we disagree).

The Cards are not in a position to waste draft picks...ever. No team is anymore. Every pick has to count even though every pick will not pan out. To use a 3rd rounder one year on a QB and a 1st rounder the next year on a QB is scatter-brained drafting with little plan IMO.

Now, do I think McCown is really the future? That is unclear because we simply don't know what he can do on the field yet. Anyone who judges him based on DEN and KC is doing McCown a huge disservice and showing their ignorance of the game of football. If we had seen him play more, like he should have been since there came a point where the season was down the crapper, then we could more clearly say he is a bust let's draft a QB in round 1.

Having said all that, I am a Newman guy but if he is gone and Leftwich is there, it may be very hard to bypass Leftwich. QB is the most important position on the field.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Honestly, I agree with his point that you can only have 1 "QB of the Future" at a time so taking Leftwich would basically mean we're cutting McCown and I think McGinnis likes him too much to do that.

You can't have a starter AND two kids all fighting for practice snaps.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I promise I have no connection to Josh McCown or his immediate family (although I am pretty well acquainted with his mom).

In my mind, the expectations for draft picks are staggered by where their taken...

Round 1
Picks 1-20: Automatic Starter. Drafted to be a game-breaker, but needs to make a contribution in Week 1. Notable exceptions are at WR, maybe CB.
Picks 21-32: Anywhere from an immediate starter to situational player, but needs to contribute in his rookie season, but allows for adjustment to the pro game (i.e. Napoleon Harris).

Rounds 2-4: Very similar to late first-round picks, only less so. They'll be expected to contribute in their rookie season, but mainly in special teams and to spell starters or in junk time or starting due to injury. These prospects are expected to develop into starters before the end of their contracts, and should be starters no later than year 3.

Rounds 5-7: Mostly practice squaders and players that you might want to take a "flier" on, like WRs who are fast, but run bad routes and mediocre hands, or QBs from tiny schools but have nice intangibles. Low-risk picks.

You can't draft the same positions high every single year, especially in positions that are generally full-time, like QB, RB, C, MLB, and the two S positions. You have to give the mid-rounders time to develop, and the space to do so. There are only so many practice snaps, and there are only so many starter snaps.

McCown should be given another season to develop. He deserves that from where we took him. To take a QB in rounds one or two does a major disservice to our previous draft, to our defense-oriented coach (who can't continue to "coach up" bad players for 16-game stretches), and a team that's going to have a bad O anyhow.

I just keep reposting the thread because I think that people are wasting their breath when they talk about taking Leftwich. McCown may not end up being the next QB of the future, but the Cards are best served waiting another season to find out. Also, remember last season, when people were saying that Harrington might fall out of the Top 10 because there weren't any teams there that need a QB? He was taken, what, #4? Perhaps the same thing'll happen with Leftwich, and the Bears end up taking him.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, but McCown was Mac's selection not Rod Graves pick. Remember that Mac gave Kwamie Lassiter franchise money and Rod Graves didn't even offer Lassiter a contract. Mac signed Ron McKinnon to an extension and Rod Graves brings in James Darling to compete with McKinnon for the starting middle linebacker position.

Mac may be drooling over Josh McCown, but Mac doesn't call the shots from a personnel standpoint anymore.

Reaction score
You know, this situation really depends on the Cardinals staff's evaluation of McCown! Obviously they have a lot more insight and information to make a decision than anyone on this board. We simply have not seen enough of either McCown or Parsons to base an evaluation upon.How the Cardinals draft will tell alot about how they rate the two youngsters.

If they draft a QB on the first day it would almost seem to be an admission that they overestimated McCown's abilities/potential. If they draft a QB in any round then either McCown or Parsons have not met expectations.

It doesn't seem to make sense to pick up another QB only to have one of them (which???) relegated to the practice squad.

If Cards pick a QB, I suggest it would be because they have a "need".

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you know anything/have heard anything about power struggles within the front office? The only thing I've heard are arguments from this board. There's no real evidence that there's conflict over personnel between Mac and Graves.

James Darling is not going to be our starting MLB. We may have told him that he'll compete for the job, but McKinnon is going into camp the starter, and will start during the season.

Wasn't Fergie working w/o a contract all last season? I wouldn't be surprised if Graves was calling the shots in the personnel dept. with Mac and Fergie was just manning a desk.

If the Cards take Leftwich at #6, it'll just be stupid and a total waste.

Reaction score
I promise I have no connection to Josh McCown or his immediate family (although I am pretty well acquainted with his mom).

:confused: Does this mean you have a connection or you don't?:?

and a team that's going to have a bad O anyhow.
Why do you assume this?? I actually believe that the offense will perform better than last year!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardLogic
:confused: Does this mean you have a connection or you don't?:?

Why do you assume this?? I actually believe that the offense will perform better than last year!

No, I'm acquainted with his mom in the same way that I have a relationship with your mom: strictly professional.

I assume that we'll have a pretty bad O because our receivers are inexperienced and not excessively talented, I'm not totally sold on our running back, our O-line depth chart is pretty shallow, including the total lack of a legit center, and our entire O is learning a new system, including the QB. Also, the D may be as bad (or worse) than last year, and so the O might be playing from a lot of deep holes, or with bad field position. That's generally a mixture for a pretty bad O. That being said, almost anything will be better than the O we had last year. This isn't a team like the Panthers, who can score 10 points a game and still go 7-9. This is a team that needs to have almost everything go right for them to go 7-9.

pinnacle

Reaction score
just for clarification...

about a week ago dave pasch was on the radio for a segment (KDUS)..he went thru the ncaa basketball tournament, a little cardinals stuff, etc... at the end of the segment..he made a statement.. something as follows:

" I just wanted to clear something up for your listeners..last week I was listening to your show and it seemed everyone agreed that it is kind of bidwill jr. and graves running things..and that they inherited coach mac and he was put on the backburner... this is the farthest thing from the truth - I have no idea how these rumors get started. graves and bidwill jr. support coach mac 100%..everyone is on the same page. graves gets macs opinion on everything..and mac is in the loop on all decisions. Mac is here for the long term"

not word for word..but the above is what pasch said. It was unprovoked..it was right before he was going off air and he brought it up out of the blue..said he was tired of people having misinformation on the relationship between mac/graves/bidwill jr.

he had to get off the air..my questions would have been..well if they feel this way - why does the new regime not give mac a contract extension?

OP
OP
EndZone

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinnacle
just for clarification...

about a week ago dave pasch was on the radio for a segment (KDUS)..he went thru the ncaa basketball tournament, a little cardinals stuff, etc... at the end of the segment..he made a statement.. something as follows:

" I just wanted to clear something up for your listeners..last week I was listening to your show and it seemed everyone agreed that it is kind of bidwill jr. and graves running things..and that they inherited coach mac and he was put on the backburner... this is the farthest thing from the truth - I have no idea how these rumors get started. graves and bidwill jr. support coach mac 100%..everyone is on the same page. graves gets macs opinion on everything..and mac is in the loop on all decisions. Mac is here for the long term"

not word for word..but the above is what pasch said. It was unprovoked..it was right before he was going off air and he brought it up out of the blue..said he was tired of people having misinformation on the relationship between mac/graves/bidwill jr.

he had to get off the air..my questions would have been..well if they feel this way - why does the new regime not give mac a contract extension?

Actually when he was talking he was speaking to people thinking that Graves and Bidwill Jr. didn't like Mac and that he was on his way out.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
I'll disagree with that statement.

Couldn't bite your tongue any longer eh? :D

Last edited:

pinnacle

Reaction score
endzone..although you summarized the interview way better than I did..we pretty much heard the same thing..

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Couldn't bite your tongue aby longer eh? :D

I've bitten so much of my tounge that there is nothing left anymore.

:D

Reaction score
kerouac9, your comment was assinine and uncalled for... as far as my mother is concerned if you enjoy shagging a 76 year old woman, have at it! :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard