Kelly Oubre...

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think he deserves his own thread... He's playing at career high levels since he's joined the Suns. He's a restricted FA after this season. He's just 23 years old and today he told Gambo he wants to stay in Phoenix. Here's what he said:

“Why would I go anywhere else?” Oubre said when asked if Phoenix was his preferred destination across the entire NBA. “I’m here, I’m getting established and I’m not a guy that really wants to be on a million teams in my tenure in the league and I just want to create a dynasty and a legacy here in Phoenix with [Deandre Ayton], [Devin Booker], [Mikal Bridges], all the guys in the locker room. It’s beautiful.”

“I’m just so happy that Phoenix, James (Jones) made the call and traded for me to come to Phoenix man because that was the biggest blessing of my career so far.”

“One-hundred percent I would love to remain Phoenix,” Oubre said. “The money and all that stuff is above my head right now. I’m just trying to focus on these last 17 games so that I can prove myself and show that I’m worth every penny thrown at me.”

http://arizonasports.com/story/1863423/kelly-oubre-jr-phoenix-suns-free-agency/

I really don't know what kind of money he's going to command... It's kinda funny how people were initially comparing Bridges to Marion. And then Oubre steps into the picture and to me, his presence and play is far more Marion-like than anyone else.
So can he play a valuable role on a contender? I believe so... I really hope the Suns find a way to lock him up!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gotta love that quote about wanting to stay here. We have had way too many players trying to push their way out. I would love to reward that attitude.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Oubre won't have many games where he goes off like last night, but he always competes, and that's extremely valuable to this team going forward.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gotta love that quote about wanting to stay here. We have had way too many players trying to push their way out. I would love to reward that attitude.

Warren had the same positive attitude when the Suns signed him to his extension, and now Warren clearly wants out. I wouldn't put too much stock into this just yet.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
His energy is valuable to such a young team. He clearly makes TJ expendable. He is going to get a small fortune 15m+...

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
His energy is valuable to such a young team. He clearly makes TJ expendable. He is going to get a small fortune 15m+...

I'd take Oubre over TJ all day long... The only benefit TJ provides is scoring. Oubre is so much more disruptive and clearly has the ability to score in bunches as well... But yea, Oubre is going to get a nice payday from someone... Hope it's PHX!

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
He’s a nice change of pace from TJ and he’s much better than JJ but we can’t overpay mediocre players. It comes down to price but I don’t think he’ll get much on the market... Shouldn’t go more than 3/45 and we’d get him for age 24-27 seasons.

I think there’s less than 10% chance JJ is back next year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s a nice change of pace from TJ and he’s much better than JJ but we can’t overpay mediocre players. It comes down to price but I don’t think he’ll get much on the market... Shouldn’t go more than 3/45 and we’d get him for age 24-27 seasons.

I think there’s less than 10% chance JJ is back next year.

You mean TJ right?

I think Josh has improved a lot, and can't see how they would not want to keep him at this stage.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Warren had the same positive attitude when the Suns signed him to his extension, and now Warren clearly wants out. I wouldn't put too much stock into this just yet.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oubre won't have many games where he goes off like last night, but he always competes, and that's extremely valuable to this team going forward.

I'm not so sure about that. His performance looked effortless to a certain extent. He was focused and putting in the effort but it didn't seem like he was trying to have a big game like he did. He just does what's needed and if that means he fills up the stat sheet then that's great but it doesn't seem like that is important to him based on how he's talked about some of his performances in post game interviews.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd comment on the points of disagreement between your post and mine, but I couldn't identify any. So I guess I'm not sure about it either, whatever that means.

I think we just disagree on how often he'll have games like last night. We'll probably have a much better idea of that if he stays in the starting lineup for the final 17 games. I hope he does match his stat line from last night more than he falls short of doing so, even if that makes his price go up a little bit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think we just disagree on how often he'll have games like last night. We'll probably have a much better idea of that if he stays in the starting lineup for the final 17 games. I hope he does match his stat line from last night more than he falls short of doing so, even if that makes his price go up a little bit.
I’ll agree with e. I think he’ll average 14-16 with occasional games like last night. And on a good team that’s gold with his effort.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said a few days back, Oubre seems to enjoy being a Sun. The door is wide open for him to make a name And establish himself within this franchise.

We have no other forwards/wings on this team for him to compete with. He’s not competing with Bridges and TJ due to their contracts. JJ is signed into next year I think.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Oubre but one of the Suns forwards is likely to be traded. Warren seems the likely candidate. It wouldn't shock me if Jackson were available for the right trade.

Sunstroke

Veteran
Reaction score
Production wise, both Oubre and Ariza have helped their respective teams. But age wise? I sure as hell hope the Sun's get Kelly signed long term. I love what the guy brings to the floor, starter or off the bench. Git 'er done JJ or whom ever is running the club.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score

if he averages anywhere near 27, 13 and 3 the rest of the season he's going to get 20+m per year

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree with the foregoing... Oubre has been one of the few bright spot transactions the Suns have made in a long while. I assume they will make every effort to bring him back. It's not like they are likely to have lots of other competing options to spend their money on, either.

Hopefully, Sarver doesn't pull a JJ-type stunt, and ******** the whole thing up. That's all we would need to kill one of the few players on the Suns that currently has positive momentum.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Need to re-sign this guy at almost all costs. His energy, versatility, hustle, grit, toughness, talent, love for Phoenix..... This team desperately needs what this kid provides.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Need to re-sign this guy at almost all costs. His energy, versatility, hustle, grit, toughness, talent, love for Phoenix..... This team desperately needs what this kid provides.
I don't think he is done improving either. Even if we have to overpay a bit for his current level of production I think his production could improve into the salary he is getting over the next few years.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think he is done improving either. Even if we have to overpay a bit for his current level of production I think his production could improve into the salary he is getting over the next few years.

I agree. I think his obvious love for the game make it an almost certainty that he will continue to improve.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Do you guys agree that Marion is a solid comp to use for Oubre? If so, what would Marion be worth?? Is it worth it to do everything possible to keep a Marion type player? I think so...

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Do you guys agree that Marion is a solid comp to use for Oubre? If so, what would Marion be worth?? Is it worth it to do everything possible to keep a Marion type player? I think so...

Marion was a very unique and special player. He was a fantastic rebounder for his size. Oubre can't rebound like Marion, but is a more natural shooter. Marion would be worth a max contract. Oubre isn't the caliber of player Marion was, so he won't get a max deal. Maybe someday. I would be comfortable giving Oubre a deal up to 18 mil/year. 20 mil/year would start to make me sweat a little, but hell, that's what Tyler Johnson and Ryan Anderson are making.

Last edited: