ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't see how that's wise. We can match any offer. Negotiating now is bidding against ourselves without much of an idea of what his market value will be. The risk of overpaying him now is high coming off a couple of good games. I'm not against doing it early but there are a lot of reasons to wait. Mainly we can agree on a number for this summer that is above his cap hold, which will be around $9-10 million, and wait to sign him to it so we maximize our cap space elsewhere before resigning him. We can go over the cap to sign him since we hold his bird rights, as long as we don't renounce his rights or pull the qualifying offer.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I don't see how that's wise. We can match any offer. Negotiating now is bidding against ourselves without much of an idea of what his market value will be. The risk of overpaying him now is high coming off a couple of good games. I'm not against doing it early but there are a lot of reasons to wait. Mainly we can agree on a number for this summer that is above his cap hold, which will be around $9-10 million, and wait to sign him to it so we maximize our cap space elsewhere before resigning him. We can go over the cap to sign him since we hold his bird rights, as long as we don't renounce his rights or pull the qualifying offer.

The only situation I can think of that makes sense is if they can lock him in on a reasonable offer, preventing him from entering the FA market and getting an insane offer. Otherwise you're right, it makes more sense to see if we can do anything useful with that capspace first.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The value of negotiating now is that it could be possible to get him locked in at a more reasonable offer. If we wait for the market to set his price we could be paying somewhere in the 17-20m range because someone might be willing to overpay. Where as negotiating now maybe we can get him at 12-14m without him ever talking to another team.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The value of negotiating now is that it could be possible to get him locked in at a more reasonable offer. If we wait for the market to set his price we could be paying somewhere in the 17-20m range because someone might be willing to overpay. Where as negotiating now maybe we can get him at 12-14m without him ever talking to another team.
I believe they could agree on such a deal, but not sign it. The Suns could go get a free agent with only his $9 QO counting against the cap. Then they could go over the cap to sign Oubre for more.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn’t pay Oubre more than what we gave Warren which was in the $11M-$12M/yr range.

As good as he’s been, that’s about as far as I would go.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I wouldn’t pay Oubre more than what we gave Warren which was in the $11M-$12M/yr range.

As good as he’s been, that’s about as far as I would go.
As a fan, why? Let the owners part with some of their billion dollar equity and build a competitive team for a change.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Then you're going to lose him. Warren is on an unusually team friendly deal.
My thoughts exactly. If Warren's deal is team-friendly, that implies that he is worth more than what his deal is. Saying Oubre is only worth that deal is saying that Warren is significantly better than Oubre. And I don't think in any universe right now that Oubre is worse than TJ Warren.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. If Warren's deal is team-friendly, that implies that he is worth more than what his deal is. Saying Oubre is only worth that deal is saying that Warren is significantly better than Oubre. And I don't think in any universe right now that Oubre is worse than TJ Warren.
I am on the same page with Chap and BC--its a miracle!

If we aren't going to pay Oubre, who would we pay? He wants to be here, he is a leader, he is young, he plays a complete game for the most part. $16 million is probably a deal for a player like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying Oubre a lot of money could be a mistake. But it's a mistake we can't afford to not make IMO. I expect he'll get 18 to 20 per.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paying Oubre a lot of money could be a mistake. But it's a mistake we can't afford to not make IMO. I expect he'll get 18 to 20 per.

Based on what we know right now Booker, Ayton, Oubre and Bridges are the Suns top players going forward.

Then the Suns need to add a point guard. I could accept less than a big name point guard if the Suns keep Johnson.

I'd like to keep Holmes and Jackson.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Based on what we know right now Booker, Ayton, Oubre and Bridges are the Suns top players going forward.

Then the Suns need to add a point guard. I could accept less than a big name point guard if the Suns keep Johnson.

I'd like to keep Holmes and Jackson.

I actually think Daniels has a spot on this team as well... And I think Johnson coming off the bench wouldn't suck either.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think Daniels has a spot on this team as well... And I think Johnson coming off the bench wouldn't suck either.

The Suns seemingly do not know how to use Daniels so I'm not sure if he sticks. It was surprising to me the Suns did not trade him for a second round pick. I think he would have helped a playoff team. Maybe there was no market for him.

Johnson is one of those players I want to keep but when the Suns traded for him I viewed as piece to make a trade work.

His salary $19,245,370 will probably limit what the Suns can do in the off season if they do not trade him or stretch his final year under contract.

I hope the Suns can figure out a way to keep him.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
They have to keep Oubre. Yes, that will require them to overpay, and yes, they should overpay. I'd try to negotiate and strike a deal long before he becomes a RFA. Just don't sign the deal until the rest of the roster is finalized.
Oubre is likely the most complete players the Suns have on their roster right now. Bridges will get there, but he is not there yet.

Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges are the most important pieces. I'd like to bring Holmes back too. I like Johnson, but I don't see how the Suns can get a point guard without trading him or waiving him. If they are trading for a big-name PG, his contract is needed to match the salaries, and if they are going after someone in free agency, they'll have to waive and stretch Johnson. Suns are just so damn short on NBA vets who can play, so I'd hate losing Johnson, but at the same time, I don't see how they can get their PG without using Johnson, and then paying $19M for a backup guard.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They have to keep Oubre. Yes, that will require them to overpay, and yes, they should overpay. I'd try to negotiate and strike a deal long before he becomes a RFA. Just don't sign the deal until the rest of the roster is finalized.
Oubre is likely the most complete players the Suns have on their roster right now. Bridges will get there, but he is not there yet.

Booker, Ayton, Oubre, and Bridges are the most important pieces. I'd like to bring Holmes back too. I like Johnson, but I don't see how the Suns can get a point guard without trading him or waiving him. If they are trading for a big-name PG, his contract is needed to match the salaries, and if they are going after someone in free agency, they'll have to waive and stretch Johnson. Suns are just so damn short on NBA vets who can play, so I'd hate losing Johnson, but at the same time, I don't see how they can get their PG without using Johnson, and then paying $19M for a backup guard.

Agreed... I think Oubre is far more athletic than Bridges. But I agree that Bridges is a must-have for this team going forward. And agree on Johnson. The Suns desperately need a legit, veteran PG. They won't be able to secure that guy with Johnson and his crazy salary still hanging over the team...

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This is a good point. I think if we end up having to overpay Oubre it won't hurt us that much but it may limit his time on this team. It all depends on how his contract will look when we're talking extension with Ayton and Bridges after their 3rd year. When it's time to pay Bridges though we can take a look at Oubre and see if he's being overpaid and if he is then we may need to move him but that's at least 2 years out, probably 3. Trading him as an expiring before Ayton and Bridges extensions hit the books is reasonable. I'm not saying we must trade him but by the time others need to get paid he probably won't be the most complete player on the team as Bridges should pass him by that point. Until we need to pay those 2 we don't need to worry much about our own cap issues since everyone else is locked in for a good while.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never really paid attention to Oubre before he got here but I was going through some forums. It appears many people think Oubre is one of those guys that plays well when he is fighting for time or a contract. However, many seem leery that he would play the same once he got a contract.

I don't know enough about the guys entire career to comment one way or the other but that does sort of remind me of another Suns player or two that have come through here.

I like what this guy brings and if we can get him under a longer term contract as one of the pieces that woudln't be a bad thing at all IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I never really paid attention to Oubre before he got here but I was going through some forums. It appears many people think Oubre is one of those guys that plays well when he is fighting for time or a contract. However, many seem leery that he would play the same once he got a contract.

I don't know enough about the guys entire career to comment one way or the other but that does sort of remind me of another Suns player or two that have come through here.

I like what this guy brings and if we can get him under a longer term contract as one of the pieces that woudln't be a bad thing at all IMO.
That's strange. He's still on his rookie contract, right? How can they say he only plays well when fighting for time or a contract? Is he really in a fight for time? I'd say he's earned his time and he's earned it for awhile. Odd that people say that.

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Kind of a confusing post. In the first part, you're saying Oubre might be playing for a contract and will let up once he's paid. In the second part, you want to give him a long term contract.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson