Kelemente time....?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I've always wondered why that is. The linebackers and TE's have the same 40 times. The LBs are usually around 6'2 240 and the TE's 6'4 250 so the TE's would have a height advantage but shouldn't be any quicker.

LBs are most of the time moving into the line and TE are heading out. LBs have to be quick enough to read the play then redirect to get out into coverage.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LBs are most of the time moving into the line and TE are heading out. LBs have to be quick enough to read the play then redirect to get out into coverage.

I can buy that and it is why play action can be so effective. However, it wouldn't explain why TE's could simply outrun the LBs.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would hope if the Cardinals were put in that position, they would take Te'o and then use their 2nd rounder and future picks to trade back up into the first round for Tyler Wilson. Jarvis Jones is another player where I would hope the Cardinals would be able to see their good fortune and make the moves to add two big impact players.
great players. But I don't think their impact would be enough to overcome the AWFUL O-line. If we get some guys in free-agency, then I could see spending our top picks on a QB and LB, but as it stands, we need immediate impact players on the O-line more than anywhere

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can buy that and it is why play action can be so effective. However, it wouldn't explain why TE's could simply outrun the LBs.

From my experience some of it comes from a TEs comfort running in space down the field and a LBer's discomfort in doing so. A TE knows the route, is relaxed because of it and can go full speed while the LB is in unfamiliar position being down the field in space, has to control his body better because he is trailing the wide receiver and is naturally more tense doing so which slows him down. In a dead sprint, the LB probably wins more often than not, but in an unfamiliar environment the LB thinks too much and it decreases his bodies production.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
great players. But I don't think their impact would be enough to overcome the AWFUL O-line. If we get some guys in free-agency, then I could see spending our top picks on a QB and LB, but as it stands, we need immediate impact players on the O-line more than anywhere

You can still reach for an OG in the third round if it is that big of a need, or make another trade up into the second round. My point is I would hope the Cardinals would not limit themselves because it would be a bit outside of the ordinary (which is precisely why they wouldn't do it).

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can still reach for an OG in the third round if it is that big of a need, or make another trade up into the second round. My point is I would hope the Cardinals would not limit themselves because it would be a bit outside of the ordinary (which is precisely why they wouldn't do it).
oh I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get an O-lineman until at least rd 4. But we SHOULD. If our 1st pick BPA isn't an O-lineman, trade down. I just don't see the point in taking a big talent QB just to watch him get blown up behind this line and deteriorate

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
oh I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get an O-lineman until at least rd 4. But we SHOULD. If our 1st pick BPA isn't an O-lineman, trade down. I just don't see the point in taking a big talent QB just to watch him get blown up behind this line and deteriorate

lets see if they will sign a tackle free agent or guard,brown could be free agent,duane brown.he is considered the best tackle this season

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lets see if they will sign a tackle free agent or guard,brown could be free agent,duane brown.he is considered the best tackle this season
can we afford him though? LT is a position that is always in high demand. In the draft we get a little bit of time with em on the new rookie deals that favor the team more. If we could pick up the best LT in the league though, I would be more than happy to take a QB with our #1 pick. Sidenote: Damn Redskins need to pick up the pace so STL's extra 1st rd pick isn't awesome.) It also looked like Potter did a decent job in the lineup, which was nice to see. Considering how low we found him, if he turns out to be a solid backup I'll be happy. Massie started well, but has been taken to the cleaners as of late. Maybe move Levi to RT when he comes back, have the other Brown at LT? See what Kelemete can do at G. Then I wont be so concerned with the line and can see going late to add depth and maybe search for a diamond in the rough. If Potter surprises and becomes a GOOD starter (not just a Cardinals starter), I may cry tears of joy

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
can we afford him though? LT is a position that is always in high demand. In the draft we get a little bit of time with em on the new rookie deals that favor the team more. If we could pick up the best LT in the league though, I would be more than happy to take a QB with our #1 pick. Sidenote: Damn Redskins need to pick up the pace so STL's extra 1st rd pick isn't awesome.) It also looked like Potter did a decent job in the lineup, which was nice to see. Considering how low we found him, if he turns out to be a solid backup I'll be happy. Massie started well, but has been taken to the cleaners as of late. Maybe move Levi to RT when he comes back, have the other Brown at LT? See what Kelemete can do at G. Then I wont be so concerned with the line and can see going late to add depth and maybe search for a diamond in the rough. If Potter surprises and becomes a GOOD starter (not just a Cardinals starter), I may cry tears of joy
You kind of inadvertently hit the point. The Cards have good depth guys on the OL. The problem is they are starters for the Cards. I'll give Massie time and think he'll develop fine but he should be a depth guy and learning the position this year. Snyder is a swing player, depth guy at best. Batiste is a practice squad level player. Colledge and Sendlein, at best, are low level starters and most likley backups on teams with a good OL. Potter will likely be a career backup and provide depth, which is what you want from a 7th round pick. The Cards may be starting him as a rookie. Levi is mid-tier to low level starter and the Cards best OL. That should tell you all you need to know. We'll see about Kelemente.

It almost seems as if the Cards don't put any emphasis on the OG position. Lutui was their best in recent years and even when he was fat he stilled played well. Yet, he was run out town, albeit some of it was his own doing. I can't even remember the guy who played RG last year. Adam Snyder was signed to replace him so that tells you how bad he was. For this reason the #3 guy on my Cards draft wishlist, after Wilson and Te'o, is OG Chance Warmack. If Kelemente comes through, next year an OL of Brown, Warmack, Sendlein, Kelemente, and Massie would be a potentially good, young, cost controlled unit.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You kind of inadvertently hit the point. The Cards have good depth guys on the OL. The problem is they are starters for the Cards. I'll give Massie time and think he'll develop fine but he should be a depth guy and learning the position this year. Snyder is a swing player, depth guy at best. Batiste is a practice squad level player. Colledge and Sendlein, at best, are low level starters and most likley backups on teams with a good OL. Potter will likely be a career backup and provide depth, which is what you want from a 7th round pick. The Cards may be starting him as a rookie. Levi is mid-tier to low level starter and the Cards best OL. That should tell you all you need to know. We'll see about Kelemente.

It almost seems as if the Cards don't put any emphasis on the OG position. Lutui was their best in recent years and even when he was fat he stilled played well. Yet, he was run out town, albeit some of it was his own doing. I can't even remember the guy who played RG last year. Adam Snyder was signed to replace him so that tells you how bad he was. For this reason the #3 guy on my Cards draft wishlist, after Wilson and Te'o, is OG Chance Warmack. If Kelemente comes through, next year an OL of Brown, Warmack, Sendlein, Kelemente, and Massie would be a potentially good, young, cost controlled unit.
K E L E M E T E. lol, I'm sorry, I'm not the typical grammar/spelling Nazi. I don't know why that sticks out so much to me

And I agree about damn near everybody. Except Potter. He's young still. I think he deserves as much of a shot as Massie before deeming him a backup. He looked good in his first game, against Clay Matthews through a good part at that. Batiste has been around too long to be on the practice squad. He's never even played LT, so I dunno about him really. He may be a pretty good guard, but considering how long he's been around, and how often he's played, I think it may just be time for him to start looking for a new line of work. Snyder also seems to be pretty worthless. Like you said, he may be a good guy to have on the sideline since he knows all the positions and can fill in in a pinch, but he sure as hell hasn't impressed starting. I'd let Potter finish out the season as a starter. Along with Massie. And plug Kelemete in along with them.

I think it's become clear we're not taking home the Lombardi trophy this year. Fitz, AW and Dockett aren't getting any younger. We should really gauge what we have going into next season so (HOPEFULLY) the correct additions can be made and we can make a legit push for it next year. I think the team showed that we're close to being complete in the first few games. And on this losing streak, I think the flaws were magnified. I'd get Floyd out there for more plays too. Let him get used to the real deal. Try out Byrd, he looked good in preseason, possibly take the #4 spot from butterfingers Doucet. Maybe even go as far as to throw AW on IR and basically force him to fix his arm. He still hits like a damn truck, but he isn't wrapping, I assume/hope that's why. Give Powell more touches. He's averaging almost double what LSH is. In a perfect world replace Grimm, but given the slim chances of that, at least hire him an assistant OL coach that actually knows what he's doing. It's a strange coincidence that Massie looked damn good thrown into the starting spot with little coaching from Grimm, and then suddenly became awful when Grimm had more time with him. I also want a new OC. I've heard the argument that it's not the plays, it's the execution on here. And that MAY be the case. But it still falls on the OC to draw plays that this team actually can execute

lol, damn I can ramble

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

We feel exactly the same way about the line. We took a step backwards when we got rid of Lutui, fat or not.

Potter looked very smooth out there for a big guy. I am excited to see if he can play descent for us.

Kelemete needs to go in at guard to see if we have a potential upgrade or not.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We feel exactly the same way about the line. We took a step backwards when we got rid of Lutui, fat or not.

Potter looked very smooth out there for a big guy. I am excited to see if he can play descent for us.

Kelemete needs to go in at guard to see if we have a potential upgrade or not.

On Potter, I think there is a good chance he surprises many on this board. He is pigeonholed as a depth/backup player because of being drafted in the 7th round, but many forget he was an All American college LT and was, at one point in time, thought to be a potential 1st round talent. Now, he struggled vs. power moves in college which is why he dropped in the draft, but in terms of athletic talent he is as skilled as a early round talent.

As far as Kelemete, I would prefer for him to get reps over Ohrnberger though I think he will struggle against power DTs more than Potter will against rush OLBs and DEs.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
On Potter, I think there is a good chance he surprises many on this board. He is pigeonholed as a depth/backup player because of being drafted in the 7th round, but many forget he was an All American college LT and was, at one point in time, thought to be a potential 1st round talent. Now, he struggled vs. power moves in college which is why he dropped in the draft, but in terms of athletic talent he is as skilled as a early round talent.

As far as Kelemete, I would prefer for him to get reps over Ohrnberger though I think he will struggle against power DTs more than Potter will against rush OLBs and DEs.
thank you. I've brought that up in a few other threads. In the '11 draft, they expected him to be the top LT in this draft. Obviously he did something to indicate otherwise, but it still shows that he has the ability, at least IMO