Keim's first 5 premium picks

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Keim knows what we seem to have forgotten.
If Carson Palmer plays, we win. If he does not, we probably lose.
Gotta keep him upright.

That's all well and good, but Palmer took every snap in 2012 when he had Levi Brown and Bradley Sowell blocking for him. Give me a break.

Anyone who says that Bucannon is anything more than a solid pick at this point is spinning pretty hard. If you want to see a rookie SS/ILB shine as a rookie, check out some old tape on Thomas Davis. Bucannon can't cover anyone. Luke Willson put him in a dress.

Keim seems comfortable swinging for singles and doubles at the top of the draft, but these Minter/Cooper chickens are going to come home too roost in a year or two when we are still recruiting 34-year old veterans to fill holes we spent draft picks on at three times the cost.

TimTheToolmanTebow

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You dont win superbowls by putting all your eggs in the basket of OL when your best skill position players are washed up has beens like Palmer and Fitzgerald LOL.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but Palmer took every snap in 2012 when he had Levi Brown and Bradley Sowell blocking for him. Give me a break.
Anyone who says that Bucannon is anything more than a solid pick at this point is spinning pretty hard. If you want to see a rookie SS/ILB shine as a rookie, check out some old tape on Thomas Davis. Bucannon can't cover anyone. Luke Willson put him in a dress.

Keim seems comfortable swinging for singles and doubles at the top of the draft, but these Minter/Cooper chickens are going to come home too roost in a year or two when we are still recruiting 34-year old veterans to fill holes we spent draft picks on at three times the cost.

Uh! Palmer wasn't even a Cardinal in 2012.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Keim in FA and hire Denny Green for the draft lol

One of the biggest misconceptions on this board. Denny is not some draft savant. Denny had one really good draft and two abysmal ones. From the 2005-2006 drafts, only 1 player was still in the league after 2012 (Rolle).

Last edited:

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Let's take a look at this year by year:
2013: Cooper and Minter. In Keim's defense, the team was coming off of a terrible year and the draft class was also fairly terrible. Cooper felt like the right pick at the time due to the players available and the lack of talent on the team. Minter also appeared to be a solid starter at a position of need (Karlos Dansby was signed after the draft). However, neither Cooper nor Minter has been able to get on the field. They also play positions that are routinely filled with either late round picks or cheap free agents (e.g. a 34 year old Larry Foote outplayed Minter, some guy named Larsen was able to start over Cooper).

2014: Buchannon and Niklas. I like the trade down, we were able to add another pick later which i think turned into John Brown(?) Buchannon has been a starter and hopefully develops into a good safety. Troy Niklas is also a big body and an additional tight end when we already 7 on the roster. Meanwhile we haven't used a first or second round pick on a pass rusher in the last 5 years.

2015: DJ Humphries I like that he can play a premium position. Keim said that he was ranked 13 on his board so in his mind we got value for the pick. There doesn't appear to be a hole at tackle, however, Massie will be a free agent next year and is probably how expendable. I don't hate this pick but I really hope we get a guy who can get after the QB in round 2.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I think Minter is a lost cause and will not be on the team come 2016.

I didn't like the Niklas pick, but he was injured last season, so we'll see if he develops.

I still firmly believe that as long as Cooper stays healthy and in shape, he will be a very good guard.

Still hate the Humphries pick.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
If you think Niklas is worth a 2nd rounder I've got some ocean front property in AZ to sell ya:D That kid from the Gophers will be twice the player he is.

Edge rushers? Hogwash...make it happen. We've passed on them (early) like the plague for years & didn't the donkeys just trade in front of us to take one? Not being aggressive for them while playing the 3-4 is a sin.[/QUOTE

Way too early to give up on Niklas.Shane Ray will be average at best in the nfl.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

Sorry K9 couldn't let that one go. Too much fun for me.

As far as Cooper and Minter are concerned, this is their year to either prove they belong or they are gone. One or both could be roster cuts when they go to 53 if the have bad camps. It will be interesting to see what they bring to the table this season. I am willing to give them one last chance at glory.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
If you think Niklas is worth a 2nd rounder I've got some ocean front property in AZ to sell ya:D That kid from the Gophers will be twice the player he is.

Edge rushers? Hogwash...make it happen. We've passed on them (early) like the plague for years & didn't the donkeys just trade in front of us to take one? Not being aggressive for them while playing the 3-4 is a sin.[/QUOTE

Way too early to give up on Niklas.Shane Ray will be average at best in the nfl.

Would you have given up the 3rd to move up 3 spots and grab DuPree? That's what it would have taken, at least.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
First round picks suck. The psychology is bad right from the start. They get a nice payday. They start worrying about their money instead of football...

Guys picked in the second round on all have something to prove. They see that if they want big money they're going to have to work for it. They want to make everybody pay for not holding valuing them higher...

IMO this is why the Pats have done so well with all the later round picks they've had over the years. How many players have they drafted higher than #30 in the last 10 years?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
First round picks suck. The psychology is bad right from the start. They get a nice payday. They start worrying about their money instead of football...

Guys picked in the second round on all have something to prove. They see that if they want big money they're going to have to work for it. They want to make everybody pay for not holding valuing them higher...

IMO this is why the Pats have done so well with all the later round picks they've had over the years. How many players have they drafted higher than #30 in the last 10 years?

2008 - Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennesee (10)
2010 - Devin McCourty, S, Rutgers (27)
2011 - Nate Solder, OT, Colorado (17)
2012 - Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse (21)
2014 - Dominique Easley, DT, Florida (29)

etc., etc. The Pats are actually not particularly great drafters, but they never invest much outside of a few key players. They're very quietly a team in transition.

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
1. I'm still holding on to Cooper. This is his make/break season, so I'll concede he's trending downward.
2. They drafted Minter to be a run-stuffing ILB, then Bowles changed the defense making Minter a situational player. Bad pick, no way to spin it.
3. Buccanon seems to be a fine selection, especially as the OP's criteria seems to be first year contributions.
4. REALLY early to bash anyone on the Niklas pick. I need to see the kid play.
5. Several analysts had us taking Humphries. The pick surprised me, but he just may complete our OL and make it special. I've been asking for that for, oh... 20+ years.

Looking forward to tonight.

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As most of the posters have stated Minter is toast. He will not be around much longer. Cooper has this year to prove his worth. If not then he might moving on also.

Reaction score
So you guys are calling Niklas a bust already? After 1 injury filled year? I think he will be the stud that they he was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard