KDUS: Marcus Robinson Update

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He had seen this coming I'd bet on it.

They'll never admit it, but you sure get the feeling that the way has already been greased for a signing.

If he's healthy, I'd peg our chances for signing him at 65%+.

What I like most is his size - 6-3 213.

But we all should stop with the talk of adding notches to our belt regardless of whether or not a guy is injured. A 6-3 guy who could run a 4.5 and is permanently injured is just a tall injured guy who can't play. We shouldn't waste money on guys who can't help us.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin

But we all should stop with the talk of adding notches to our belt regardless of whether or not a guy is injured. A 6-3 guy who could run a 4.5 and is permanently injured is just a tall injured guy who can't play. We shouldn't waste money on guys who can't help us.[/COLOR]

Maybe so jeff but ifthe guy checks out 100% healthy we need to take a chance on him!

He is a legit #1 WR if healthy!

But I guess thats the big ? WHEN HEALTHY!

AZ1766

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
I assume you are talking about Robinson and not Muhammad. Robinson missed 5 games in 2000 (started and played in the first 11) then he only played in 5 games (started 4) in 2001. He played in all 16 last year but was buried on the dpeth chart since the Bears have kind of moved on without him.

If you are talking about Muhammad (some here talk about his supposed injury proneness) he has started 72 out of a possible 80 games since 98 so I think we can safely say he hasn;t missed too much time.
Yes I was talking about Robinson.... oops.
I interpretted not starting as not playing, as the article said he has started six games in the last two years.
:oops:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But we all should stop with the talk of adding notches to our belt regardless of whether or not a guy is injured.
Maybe so jeff but if the guy checks out 100% healthy we need to take a chance on him!
Well...yeah.

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
Maybe so jeff but ifthe guy checks out 100% healthy we need to take a chance on him!

He is a legit #1 WR if healthy!

But I guess thats the big ? WHEN HEALTHY!

Of course, he almost certainly will NOT be 100% healthy. The question will be if the risk will be worth it. The deal should be short term, one or two years tops. In addition to money, we got the other thing he really wants, the chance to be "the man."

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
Does anyone else get the feeling that if Robinson signs, he'll wear number 89 with the name Tidwell on the back?

"Show me the money!!!!"

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
This has to be good news!

Jaguars | Not Interested in Robinson - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
7:37 PT: The Florida Times-Union reports the Jacksonville Jaguars were contacted by the agent for WR Marcus Robinson (Bears), but told him they were not interested.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Wrong...He was released yesterday. If he were not released he could not visit on Monday.

Endzone, I was talking about Muhammed(you even quoted me)...not about Robinson.

Was Muhammed cut too? Is he visiting on Monday as well?

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Originally posted by Zeno
Endzone, I was talking about Muhammed(you even quoted me)...not about Robinson.

Was Muhammed cut too? Is he visiting on Monday as well?

My bad I read it quickly and assumed it was about Robinson since thats the tread topic. Sorry bout that.

dlovin

Reaction score
I went to ESPN and took a look at a few of his stats last year. I really don't see the bid deal in this guy. Was he hurt, or was Chicago really that bad last year? Only asking, becuase I really don't know much about him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dlovin
I went to ESPN and took a look at a few of his stats last year. I really don't see the bid deal in this guy. Was he hurt, or was Chicago really that bad last year? Only asking, becuase I really don't know much about him.

The big deal about this guy is that he is HIGHLY talented.

He was buried on the depth chart last year due to a lingering injury and because the Bears have Marty Booker and David Terrell.

Trust me this guy is well worth the effort to bring in here. He would easily be the best WR on the roster the day he is signed and a legitimate #1 WR!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
The big deal about this guy is that he is HIGHLY talented.

He was buried on the depth chart last year due to a lingering injury and because the Bears have Marty Booker and David Terrell.

Trust me this guy is well worth the effort to bring in here. He would easily be the best WR on the roster the day he is signed and a legitimate #1 WR!

dude if anyone was buried on the bench because of Marty Booker and David Terrell - there's some kind of problem.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by cheesebeef
dude if anyone was buried on the bench because of Marty Booker and David Terrell - there's some kind of problem.

Uhmmm....Marty Booker is a Pro Bowl caliber player. I had him on my fantasy team and he was my most consistent player (overall).

David Terrell was a high draft pick that the Bears are FORCING to be the guy. Teams tend to go with the guy that they used a high pick on....

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Uhmmm....Marty Booker is a Pro Bowl caliber player. I had him on my fantasy team and he was my most consistent player (overall).

David Terrell was a high draft pick that the Bears are FORCING to be the guy. Teams tend to go with the guy that they used a high pick on....

Funny - can't you make the same argument, whihc is always made as well, especially on this board, that management is always forcing guys with Big contracts to be out on the field. And I know Booker puts up good numbers the last couple of years, but Booker in no way is as talented as Robinson was when he first exploded on the scene, so if Robinson was all the way back shouldn't he have had more than 21 receptions?

Look, I'd be happy if Robinson signed here, but I'm not betting my paltry bank account that he's going to be the player he was when his injuries started to mount up.

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score

Krang, I hate to burst your bubble, but Terrel only played in 5 games last year and had a total of 9 catches.

Robinson was buried behind stone hands himself, Dez White among others.

We are getting awful excited about a guy who was 4th-5th string on THE BEARS!!!!!!!!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harpo
Krang, I hate to burst your bubble, but Terrel only played in 5 games last year and had a total of 9 catches.

We are getting awful excited about a guy who was 4th-5th string on THE BEARS!!!!!!!!!

DEZ WHITE!!!!!!

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Someone just paid Frank Sanders a 1.9mil bonus for a 4 year, 8.8million dollar deal. It's a crazy time of year. I think Robinson has a better chance to shine here than Frank does in Baltimore.

That said, the deal should not be more than 2 years. It's not a question of whether he has talent, or not. It's health. And, his lack of playing time is because of conflict with the coaching staff there as much as anything else.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

We also have to remember HOW BAD Chicago's passing offense was last year. Dez White is another guy that the team is forcing to succeed as well. Bob Kemp was talking about him the other day, and he said that even Chicago players were wondering why the team drafted him.

Another thing: Just because a guy is buried on a depth chart, it doesn't mean he sucks or isn't better than the players ranked ahead of him. I mean, Shipp was buried on the depth chart by MICHAEL "Run into back on lineman" PITTMAN and Thomas "Break my hand on a barb...I mean phone" Jones.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me try and clear up a few things here.

First, Robinsons health. In 2000 he hurt his back and had surgery but came back from that. In 2001, he was rounding back into shape and then in week 5 he tore knee ligaments. Now we all acknowledge that it takes approx. 18 months to return fully from a knee injury. That 18 month window ended in the past month since sometime in Feb or Mar would have been 18 months since the injury. As a result, he should be 100% again.

Second, the depth chart issue. Week 5 in 2001 he hurts the knee and when camp started in 2002, he was only about 9 months from the injury date. As a result his preseason was pretty uneventful as they were trying to go easy on him due to the knee. Marty Booker and Dez White opened the season as the Bears starting WRs with bonus baby David Terrell as the #3. Robinson was #4, not because he has no talent but because he wasn't even a year off knee surgery. When Terrell went down with a foot injury, Robinson was bumped up to #3.

Third, his production last year. Robinson restructed his contract last year and a clause said if he got 35 catches, he would be a UFA. There was some speculation going around that the Bears were intentionally not throwing him the ball in order to not trigger the clause. Also, take a long look at the Bears offense as a whole. Last year, the Bears QBs were Jim Miller (noodle arm), Chris Chandelier and Henry Burris (yeah THAT Henry Burris). Not exactly a who's who of the NFL QB family. Miller and Chandelier are fragile guys playing behind an Oline who at one point had lost 4 starters and most of the season played with only 2 starters from the season's beginning. Not to mention the idiotic Bears offensive scheme which doesn't play into Robinson's strengths...or even Terrell's.

Here is why I think he will be a very good pickup. He will be back 100% healthy from the knee so that isn't an issue. In 99, he had 84 catches for 1400 yards and I think 9 TDs in his second year in the league (and IMO he wasn't even hitting his peak yet and was on a pace in 2000 to do the same statistically). Does that sound a little bit like a certain WR that was wearing Cardinal red recently? He is a good person off the field as witnessed by his receiving the Brian Piccolo Award for Excellent Play and Exemplary Leadership and Character (not an award just given out with no basis). He will have a chip on his shoulder to prove he is a top line #1 WR.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Let me try and clear up a few things here.

First, Robinsons health. In 2000 he hurt his back and had surgery but came back from that. In 2001, he was rounding back into shape and then in week 5 he tore knee ligaments. Now we all acknowledge that it takes approx. 18 months to return fully from a knee injury. That 18 month window ended in the past month since sometime in Feb or Mar would have been 18 months since the injury. As a result, he should be 100% again.

Second, the depth chart issue. Week 5 in 2001 he hurts the knee and when camp started in 2002, he was only about 9 months from the injury date. As a result his preseason was pretty uneventful as they were trying to go easy on him due to the knee. Marty Booker and Dez White opened the season as the Bears starting WRs with bonus baby David Terrell as the #3. Robinson was #4, not because he has no talent but because he wasn't even a year off knee surgery. When Terrell went down with a foot injury, Robinson was bumped up to #3.

Third, his production last year. Robinson restructed his contract last year and a clause said if he got 35 catches, he would be a UFA. There was some speculation going around that the Bears were intentionally not throwing him the ball in order to not trigger the clause. Also, take a long look at the Bears offense as a whole. Last year, the Bears QBs were Jim Miller (noodle arm), Chris Chandelier and Henry Burris (yeah THAT Henry Burris). Not exactly a who's who of the NFL QB family. Miller and Chandelier are fragile guys playing behind an Oline who at one point had lost 4 starters and most of the season played with only 2 starters from the season's beginning. Not to mention the idiotic Bears offensive scheme which doesn't play into Robinson's strengths...or even Terrell's.

Here is why I think he will be a very good pickup. He will be back 100% healthy from the knee so that isn't an issue. In 99, he had 84 catches for 1400 yards and I think 9 TDs in his second year in the league (and IMO he wasn't even hitting his peak yet and was on a pace in 2000 to do the same statistically). Does that sound a little bit like a certain WR that was wearing Cardinal red recently? He is a good person off the field as witnessed by his receiving the Brian Piccolo Award for Excellent Play and Exemplary Leadership and Character (not an award just given out with no basis). He will have a chip on his shoulder to prove he is a top line #1 WR.

Excellent post CB!

I couldnt agree more!!!!!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In 2001, he was rounding back into shape and then in week 5 he tore knee ligaments.
Gee! Do you think that maybe this was the reason for his lack of productivity last year?

When Robinson was healthy, he was very, very good. He also has physical dimensions similar to the dear, departed D-Bo. The major stumbling block remains his physical status, and since none of us are privy to his medical records, why speculate? Let's see what happens during his physical Tuesday.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
In 2001, he was rounding back into shape and then in week 5 he tore knee ligaments.
Gee! Do you think that maybe this was the reason for his lack of productivity last year?

When Robinson was healthy, he was very, very good. He also has physical dimensions similar to the dear, departed D-Bo. The major stumbling block remains his physical status, and since none of us are privy to his medical records, why speculate? Let's see what happens during his physical Tuesday.

Actually, I did mention that this injury did in fact affect his performance last year, not only in his statistics but also his playing time/position on the depth chart.

He is very much like Boston IMO (maybe not wuite as good but close).

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is very much like Boston IMO (maybe not wuite as good but close).
Chicago guys - What kind of a person is Robinson?

In your opinion, will he be a good and stabilizing influence on the rest of the WR unit?

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Great post cubbie.

I say, sign him. This is a risk well worth taking, and one that the Cards can very well afford to do, in all respects.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I want him and I want him now! Sign him and another vet and draft at least one receiver and things will look better.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard