K9's NFL QB Rankings

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm saddened that Mao's QB Draft troll thread was taken over by a discussion of whether I consider Ben Rothlisberger one of the 3 or 5 best quarterbacks in the NFL. It's kind of a dumb conversation to begin with, because clearly a really good passer.

To continue the conversation and let people who are more interested in talking about QB prospects than current players have some space, I wanted to move the convo over here, and just give my ranking of the Top 32 starters in the NFL with a little bit of annotation. It's by no means meant to be a perfect list (none of them are), but it'll give you an idea what guys I prefer over others.

Clear Franchise Quarterbacks
1. Aaron Rodgers - There's no one I'd rather have under center for my favorite team. If you really want to bang your head against the wall, compare his contract to Kevin Kolb's.
2. Eli Manning - The proof is in the pudding. 2 Super Bowl titles in 5 years, and he hasn't really done it with elite offensive players around him. He's a goof ball, but he's a great quarterback.
3. Peyton Manning - Eli's brother is pretty good, too. He's averaging 8.0 YPA this season with a noodle arm and a top receiver who was in an option offense running nothing but vertical routes three years ago.
4. Ben Roethlisberger - I hate how he sexually assaults co-eds, but I love the way this guy plays football. Does a lot of backyard quarterback stuff that likely drives his coaches crazy, but really gets the most out of his surrounding cast. Might be the most irreplaceable player in the NFL right now.
5. Tom Brady - Giselle's husband is really good at wearing Uggs. I'm not sure that he's always getting the most of his supporting cast, and needs more help from the running game as he ages than someone like Peyton Manning does. He's still really, really good though.
6. Matt Ryan - I may or may not be overvaluing him because he's my fantasy quarterback, but he's really taken control of the Atlanta offense and it gritting out some tough wins. He's the case study on how NFL teams should handle a young quarterback. Can't rise much higher without proving it in the playoffs.
7. Joe Flacco - Love this former Blue Hen's game. He gets a lot of support from a defense and supporting cast, but finds a way to get wins and keep his team competitive. Tough and physical.
8. Drew Brees - Maybe more of a system quarterback than even I thought. Needs to find passing windows, but gets the most of his supporting cast and everyone in the organization believes in him.
9. Phillip Rivers - Screw you. Phillip Rivers is awesome. Shut up.

Guys I Have to Start Splitting Hairs On:
10. Alex Smith - No one is going to pay him money, but he's in a great situation in San Francisco with a good offensive line and supporting cast. Must be managed.
11. Jay Cutler - Speaking of guys who have to be managed, huh? Jay Cutler makes me want to cut myself every time he takes off his helmet or says anything. But he's also really good at playing football and has immense physical talents.
12. Matt Schaub - Has been incredibly statistically productive while not always converting that production into wins. Has always had a lot of support from the running game. Can't get over that the Texans continued to win once he went on IR.
13. Matt Stafford - Another guy with immense physical talent, but needs a lot of moving parts around him to be successful. Had a great statistical season the last two years, but has struggled to maintain consistency as the book's gotten out on him.
14. Tony Romo - Tony Romo's now won in the playoffs, and he'll go as far as his defense and running game will carry him. He's kind of the master of a three-ring circus, but between him, Jerry Jones, and Jason Garrett, it's difficult to take his offense seriously sometimes.
15. Josh Freeman - Just keep reading. Josh Freeman is good. Don't worry about it.
16. Michael Vick - I don't know what's going on with Vick right now. His offensive line is clearly still a mess, and his coaching staff doesn't have any answers. He probably needs to be managed as much or more than any quarterback in the NFL, and it seems like the Philly staff just lost him.

Pretty Sure You're Not Winning Your Division With These Guys:
17. Mark Sanchez - Bill Barnwell wrote a couple of weeks ago that Sanchez isn't good enough yet to be the best player on his team. Maybe Sanchez is an embryonic Eli Manning, but he had a better defense from his early time in the league and so his expectations were higher. I don't know; I just know that he's been to 2 AFC Championship games the last three years and is 3-3 right now. So he's better than the clowns below him.
18. Carson Palmer - Did you know that Carson Palmer is still playing football?
19. Matt Hasselback - I hope that Matt Hasselback hangs around the NFL long enough to be featured in a season of Hard Knocks.
20. Kevin Kolb - Yup. Kevin Kolb is back to being worse than Mark Sanchez.
21. Sam Bradford - But not worse than Sam Bradford. What is it that Sam Bradford does well? I understand that he's been through some major coaching turnover, but I'm struggling to identify one outstanding skill that Sam Bradford possesses.
22. John Skelton - John Skelton is running out of excuses. He makes the same stupid decisions over and over again. I love watching him play, and think that he could maybe fight his way to the top of this list. But I just don't think his ceiling is very high.
23. Ryan Fitzpatrick - Ryan Fitzpatrick does a really good job of racking up stats before the winds come to Buffalo. One of those stats was his 2011 contract extension.
24. Matt Cassel - Yeah. Matt Cassel is capable of being the 8th or 9th best player on a playoff offense.

Jury's Still Very Much Out: I just can't really put these guys on the above list, because I don't feel like I know enough about them. I'm ranking them separately. Deal with it.
1. Robert Griffin III - Looking good in the offense that the Shanaclan built for him. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the NFL gets more film on him.
2. Andrew Luck - I expect him to vault to the top of this list by the end of the season and comfortable ensconce himself among the Top 15 QBs by next year. He's not very good-looking, though, which I think could hold him back in the long run.
3. Christian Ponder - It's just hard not to cheer for this kid once you hear a little bit about him. Good game manager when protected and handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson. He's sort of the ceiling for Kevin Kolb.
4. Ryan Tannehill - Hard to leave him off this list at this point. Just getting the job done and making plays when there aren't a lot of good options at the skill positions after Bush.
5. Cam Newton - I'd like to see him work himself higher by the end of the year, but that's as much up to him as anyone. I fear that his coaching staff might have dropped the ball on moving him along after a Rookie of the Year campaign.
6. Colin Kaepernick - Don't sleep on Kaepernick. He's been involved in 25% of San Francisco's offensive snaps the last two weeks, and not just in junk time. Really interesting case of integrating a gimmick college QB.
7. Russell Wilson - Don't count me a believer.
8. Andy Dalton - The Red Rifle's nickname is bigger than his game. Can do some things with really nice weapons and backed up by a good defense, but is kind of a rich man's John Skelton.
9. Jake Locker - I'd like to see more of this kid, because I'm not sure I've really seen him play. I think he'll kill a couple of coaches before his career is done, though.
10. Brandon Weeden - The old man has some game, just not enough to be really good. He can manage a team, though.
11. Blaine Gabbert - If one team is going to take advantage of dumping a cheap first-round QB contract, it's going to be the Jags, right?

Last edited:

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I would put Matt Ryan that high. I haven't watched enough of the Falcons to know whether he is really being helped by the addition of Julio Jones or how well he reads defenses. Not sure how he actually got the nickname 'Matty Ice'... maybe it's because he turns cold in big moments. He reminds me of Tom Chambers days with the Suns, great regular season player, but not so much in the playoffs. As you say, can't rise any higher without playoff production

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure I put RG3 that low. Sure he's a rook, but is the jury still out that he's a franchise QB? Everyone talks about his running and creating plays (and possible longevity issues) but you want to hear an interesting stat? RG3 is leading the entire league in completion percentage, at 70.2 %. As a rook!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Kolb 19? Is that the number of games he'll have missed all or part of, out of 32, since the Cards paid him $60 million if he doesn't come back this season? :(

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not sure I would put Matt Ryan that high. I haven't watched enough of the Falcons to know whether he is really being helped by the addition of Julio Jones or how well he reads defenses. Not sure how he actually got the nickname 'Matty Ice'... maybe it's because he turns cold in big moments. He reminds me of Tom Chambers days with the Suns, great regular season player, but not so much in the playoffs. As you say, can't rise any higher without playoff production

Having watched Matt Ryan, I would say he is justified. I value Drew Brees a bit higher, but I have no problems with this list.

Good job K9.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Having watched Matt Ryan, I would say he is justified. I value Drew Brees a bit higher, but I have no problems with this list.

Good job K9.
Other than #9 being about 8-10 spots too high, the list is pretty good.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Great list.

Some of my differing opinions.

Phillip Rivers should be higher - Not his fault he has to run the team, AND be the entire offense.

I believe in Josh Freeman.

......and Double Deuce!

Last edited:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Bottom line is we don't have a top 50% QB and won't anytime soon. And others with more upside like luck, RG3, Dalton, Newton, etc, and our QB position is well below average. Real good value for our 6 million dollar man. I mean 60 million dollar man.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Sam Bradford is much better than Kolb. I think you have two guys at number 9 which means you're really putting Kolb at 20th. I think the first 8 guys in your "jury still out" group are superior to Kolb which drops him down to 28th/29th. I think that puts him where he belongs, in a battle with Locker, Weedon, Gabbert and Skelton for worst starting QB.

Steve

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Man Can't believe you have Dalton so low. I would have him at the bottom of the second group. Certainly not near the bottom of the last group.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I think Sam Bradford is much better than Kolb. I think you have two guys at number 9 which means you're really putting Kolb at 20th. I think the first 8 guys in your "jury still out" group are superior to Kolb which drops him down to 28th/29th. I think that puts him where he belongs, in a battle with Locker, Weedon, Gabbert and Skelton for worst starting QB.

Steve

Yep. In any event, we need a good QB.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm saddened that Mao's QB Draft troll thread was taken over by a discussion of whether I consider Ben Rothlisberger one of the 3 or 5 best quarterbacks in the NFL. It's kind of a dumb conversation to begin with, because clearly a really good passer.

To continue the conversation and let people who are more interested in talking about QB prospects than current players have some space, I wanted to move the convo over here, and just give my ranking of the Top 32 starters in the NFL with a little bit of annotation. It's by no means meant to be a perfect list (none of them are), but it'll give you an idea what guys I prefer over others.

Clear Franchise Quarterbacks
1. Aaron Rodgers - There's no one I'd rather have under center for my favorite team. If you really want to bang your head against the wall, compare his contract to Kevin Kolb's.
2. Eli Manning - The proof is in the pudding. 2 Super Bowl titles in 5 years, and he hasn't really done it with elite offensive players around him. He's a goof ball, but he's a great quarterback.
3. Peyton Manning - Eli's brother is pretty good, too. He's averaging 8.0 YPA this season with a noodle arm and a top receiver who was in an option offense running nothing but vertical routes three years ago.
4. Ben Roethlisberger - I hate how he sexually assaults co-eds, but I love the way this guy plays football. Does a lot of backyard quarterback stuff that likely drives his coaches crazy, but really gets the most out of his surrounding cast. Might be the most irreplaceable player in the NFL right now.
5. Tom Brady - Giselle's husband is really good at wearing Uggs. I'm not sure that he's always getting the most of his supporting cast, and needs more help from the running game as he ages than someone like Peyton Manning does. He's still really, really good though.
6. Matt Ryan - I may or may not be overvaluing him because he's my fantasy quarterback, but he's really taken control of the Atlanta offense and it gritting out some tough wins. He's the case study on how NFL teams should handle a young quarterback. Can't rise much higher without proving it in the playoffs.
7. Joe Flacco - Love this former Blue Hen's game. He gets a lot of support from a defense and supporting cast, but finds a way to get wins and keep his team competitive. Tough and physical.
8. Drew Brees - Maybe more of a system quarterback than even I thought. Needs to find passing windows, but gets the most of his supporting cast and everyone in the organization believes in him.

9. Alex Smith - No one is going to pay him money, but he's in a great situation in San Francisco with a good offensive line and supporting cast. Must be managed.
10. Jay Cutler - Speaking of guys who have to be managed, huh? Jay Cutler makes me want to cut myself every time he takes off his helmet or says anything. But he's also really good at playing football and has immense physical talents.
11. Matt Schaub - Has been incredibly statistically productive while not always converting that production into wins. Has always had a lot of support from the running game. Can't get over that the Texans continued to win once he went on IR.
12. Matt Stafford - Another guy with immense physical talent, but needs a lot of moving parts around him to be successful. Had a great statistical season the last two years, but has struggled to maintain consistency as the book's gotten out on him.
13. Tony Romo - Tony Romo's now won in the playoffs, and he'll go as far as his defense and running game will carry him. He's kind of the master of a three-ring circus, but between him, Jerry Jones, and Jason Garrett, it's difficult to take his offense seriously sometimes.
14. Josh Freeman - Just keep reading. Josh Freeman is good. Don't worry about it.
15. Michael Vick - I don't know what's going on with Vick right now. His offensive line is clearly still a mess, and his coaching staff doesn't have any answers. He probably needs to be managed as much or more than any quarterback in the NFL, and it seems like the Philly staff just lost him.

Pretty Sure You're Not Winning Your Division With These Guys:
16. Mark Sanchez - Bill Barnwell wrote a couple of weeks ago that Sanchez isn't good enough yet to be the best player on his team. Maybe Sanchez is an embryonic Eli Manning, but he had a better defense from his early time in the league and so his expectations were higher. I don't know; I just know that he's been to 2 AFC Championship games the last three years and is 3-3 right now. So he's better than the clowns below him.
17. Carson Palmer - Did you know that Carson Palmer is still playing football?
18. Matt Hasselback - I hope that Matt Hasselback hangs around the NFL long enough to be featured in a season of Hard Knocks.
19. Kevin Kolb - Yup. Kevin Kolb is back to being worse than Mark Sanchez.
20. Sam Bradford - But not worse than Sam Bradford. What is it that Sam Bradford does well? I understand that he's been through some major coaching turnover, but I'm struggling to identify one outstanding skill that Sam Bradford possesses.
21. John Skelton - John Skelton is running out of excuses. He makes the same stupid decisions over and over again. I love watching him play, and think that he could maybe fight his way to the top of this list. But I just don't think his ceiling is very high.
22. Ryan Fitzpatrick - Ryan Fitzpatrick does a really good job of racking up stats before the winds come to Buffalo. One of those stats was his 2011 contract extension.
23. Matt Cassel - Yeah. Matt Cassel is capable of being the 8th or 9th best player on a playoff offense.

Jury's Still Very Much Out: I just can't really put these guys on the above list, because I don't feel like I know enough about them. I'm ranking them separately. Deal with it.
1. Robert Griffin III - Looking good in the offense that the Shanaclan built for him. It'll be interesting to see what happens as the NFL gets more film on him.
2. Andrew Luck - I expect him to vault to the top of this list by the end of the season and comfortable ensconce himself among the Top 15 QBs by next year. He's not very good-looking, though, which I think could hold him back in the long run.
3. Christian Ponder - It's just hard not to cheer for this kid once you hear a little bit about him. Good game manager when protected and handing the ball off to Adrian Peterson. He's sort of the ceiling for Kevin Kolb.
4. Ryan Tannehill - Hard to leave him off this list at this point. Just getting the job done and making plays when there aren't a lot of good options at the skill positions after Bush.
5. Cam Newton - I'd like to see him work himself higher by the end of the year, but that's as much up to him as anyone. I fear that his coaching staff might have dropped the ball on moving him along after a Rookie of the Year campaign.
6. Colin Kaepernick - Don't sleep on Kaepernick. He's been involved in 25% of San Francisco's offensive snaps the last two weeks, and not just in junk time. Really interesting case of integrating a gimmick college QB.
7. Russell Wilson - Don't count me a believer.
8. Andy Dalton - The Red Rifle's nickname is bigger than his game. Can do some things with really nice weapons and backed up by a good defense, but is kind of a rich man's John Skelton.
9. Jake Locker - I'd like to see more of this kid, because I'm not sure I've really seen him play. I think he'll kill a couple of coaches before his career is done, though.
10. Brandon Weeden - The old man has some game, just not enough to be really good. He can manage a team, though.
11. Blaine Gabbert - If one team is going to take advantage of dumping a cheap first-round QB contract, it's going to be the Jags, right?

Vick has a lot of positives but leads the league in turnovers (fumbles & interceptions). Many of the so called experts say he does not have any leadership qualities. I question whether the Eagles can ever go to the Super Bowl with Vick. I drop him into 2nd tier at best. Why all the fumbles I have no idea. Not just this year but in previous years. He is Reid's man and Reid is going to stick with him. I think Cam Newton is rated to low and has a lot of upside. I would trade some of the guys in your top tier for Andrew Luck because of his youth and what he has already shown but for this year only I would not.

I think Peyton Manning has demonstrated just how valuable a QB can be to a team. Far above any other position. I doubt we ever had a serious shot at him but he did stop by. I suspect his age and salary would have scared off our leaders. With him I think we were a real possibility for a division championship and further if he stayed healthy. Even with a lousy line he is so smart at reading defenses and can get the ball off in an instant it is very hard to successfully blitz him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Here you start out right, then say he's gimmick. He could both run and pass in college. Thought he was a steal for them where they landed him. He could be better than Smith by next season.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Here you start out right, then say he's gimmick. He could both run and pass in college. Thought he was a steal for them where they landed him. He could be better than Smith by next season.

He was in a gimmick offense in college. He could be really good. I'm in a 16-team keeper fantasy league and I'm really struggling to find a way to stash him on my roster somewhere before the end of the year. I'm really excited about Kaepernick. I think he went at the perfect spot, where he can be brought along slowly and put in positions to succeed and make the pro game transition.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score

9. Alex Smith - No one is going to pay him money, but he's in a great situation in San Francisco with a good offensive line and supporting cast. Must be managed.

Are Rivers and Smith tied or can you not count? :D

Otherwise, I pretty much agree with everything on that list.

Bobcat

Reaction score
"21. John Skelton - John Skelton is running out of excuses. He makes the same stupid decisions over and over again. I love watching him play, and think that he could maybe fight his way to the top of this list. But I just don't think his ceiling is very high."

The Guy gets hurt in our first game and played well enough to get us in field goal position for a 37 yard chip shot to win now K9 you make the above statement. Running out of excuses. COME ON MAN.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sanchez has regressed exponentially to the point where he's close to losing his job to Tebow. He was 3rd worst rated QB last season to start. Can't see him anywhere near #16. Double that number and you're closer to where he should be slotted.

Smith is awful. Top 10 he is not. Top 10 QBs are difference makers for their teams. Smith is just asked to play conservative and not **** it up. Had the 9ers started Colin last season instead of Smith, their record would have been the same IMO.

I actually agree w/ K9 re: Rivers. He's still a Top 10 QB despite his recent transgressions. His best receiver is a 32 year-old TE. Malcom Floyd and Meachem are #2 WRs at best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Sanchez has regressed exponentially to the point where he's close to losing his job to Tebow. He was 3rd worst rated QB last season to start. Can't see him anywhere near #16. Double that number and you're closer to where he's should be slotted.

Smith is awful. Top 10 he is not. Top 10 QBs are difference makers for their teams. Smith is just asked to play conservative and not **** it up. Had the 9ers started Colin last season instead of Smith, their record would have been the same IMO.

I actually agree w/ K9 re: Rivers. He's still a Top 10 QB despite his recent transgressions. His best receiver is a 32 year-old TE. Malcom Floyd and Meachem are #2 WRs at best.

There are only 23 veteran starters in the NFL right now. Sanchez doesn't have a lot of tools to work with in the offense, either in the receiving corps or on the offensive line. This is a team that traded for Jason Smith in hopes of improving their offensive line. All four of our wideouts would start for the New York Jets right now.

People are getting hung up on the numbering. If you want to push someone down, you have to bring someone up. I could listen to the argument that Schaub should be above Cutler and Alex Smith, but as I said, that is a group where I'm splitting hairs to rank them. Clearly all seven of those guys are capable of leading their teams to division championships, but they're all limited players. I think that Alex Smith still has upside in a way that Jay Cutler just doesn't.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are only 23 veteran starters in the NFL right now. Sanchez doesn't have a lot of tools to work with in the offense, either in the receiving corps or on the offensive line. This is a team that traded for Jason Smith in hopes of improving their offensive line. All four of our wideouts would start for the New York Jets right now.

People are getting hung up on the numbering. If you want to push someone down, you have to bring someone up. I could listen to the argument that Schaub should be above Cutler and Alex Smith, but as I said, that is a group where I'm splitting hairs to rank them. Clearly all seven of those guys are capable of leading their teams to division championships, but they're all limited players. I think that Alex Smith still has upside in a way that Jay Cutler just doesn't.
In terms or wins or in terms of personal QB numbers?

Phillip Rivers doesn't even think he is a top ten QB anymore.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

With Smith, I think he's capable of putting up better personal stats as he gets more comfortable in the offense. As everyone has said, he's not really asked to do much. It's hilarious that these same people prop up Kevin Kolb for essentially doing the same thing--manage the game, get first downs, don't take risks downfield. Kolb was an apparent MVP candidate three weeks ago for doing exactly that. It'd be well nigh impossible for Smith to improve on his win percentage of the last two seasons.

With Cutler, I don't think he's capable of getting better stats, but he's definitely capable of getting more wins. Maybe. I just think that Cutler is always going to be someone who is going to take insane risks with the football and create a huge distraction by being a ****** in pressers before and after the game. I love Jay Cutler's game, but I would hate to have him as my quarterback. He's maybe the most hateable quarterback in the NFL.

Rivers comes close, but because he's historically been able to take care of the football and do some things with his legs and maximize his available talent, he's been a guy that San Diegans love but everyone else loathes. I don't mind players like that so much.

It should bear mention that Phil Rivers had an undrafted ROOKIE free agent playing LT for him against Denver, and still managed to put up 24 points. If we were sure that Levi Brown was going to come back, and if Bobbie Massie progresses at all over the course of the year, I'd trade our 2013 first- and third-round picks for Philip Rivers this offseason. We would have to do something with his contract to get under the cap (his salaries are a little ugly the last three years of his deal), but we'd be a much better football team with him.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think you watched Monday's game vs the Broncos.

And Alex Smith doesn't know the offense yet? Heh? Did he know the offense when they went to the NFC Champ, but forget it?

I know we are splitting hairs, but I can't help myself arguing just to argue. :)

Agree about Cutler. I find him unwatchable and he is a big reason I get Sunday Ticket and watch Cardinals and Pats games instead of the Bears, the local team.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

IMO, part of the Chargers' struggles is directly linked to the environment created by AJ Smith, Norv Turner (the sitting duck), and the very real possibility of a move to Los Angeles as early as next season. There are distractions everywhere on that team, and I feel sorry for the players and their fans. More than half of their games are blacked out.

If SD offered Rivers in a trade, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard