Just To Refresh Our Memory

fordronken

Reaction score
- Joe Johnson wants 50 millioin.
- Suns offer 45.
- Suns trade Joe Johnson.
- Suns get Boris Diaw, who is arguably better for this team than Johnson.
- Suns get a potentially very high draft pick.
- Suns sign Diaw for 45 million.

It's great not to be a Hawks fan.

Kolo

Reaction score
- Joe Johnson wants 50 millioin.
- Suns offer 45.
- Suns trade Joe Johnson.
- Suns get Boris Diaw, who is arguably better for this team than Johnson.
- Suns get a potentially very high draft pick.
- Suns sign Diaw for 45 million.

It's great not to be a Hawks fan.

Actually, here's how it breaks down for us currently--

We match the contract last summer and get Joe Johnson for 5 yrs/$70 million

v.

Diaw for 5 yrs/$45 million
James Jones for 3 yrs/~$8 million (acquired via Joe Johnson trade exception)
Cleveland's first round pick in '07 (top ten protected)
Atlanta's first round pick in '07 (top three protected).

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Actually, here's how it breaks down for us currently--

We match the contract last summer and get Joe Johnson for 5 yrs/$70 million

v.

Diaw for 5 yrs/$45 million
James Jones for 3 yrs/~$8 million (acquired via Joe Johnson trade exception)
Cleveland's first round pick in '07 (top ten protected)
Atlanta's first round pick in '07 (top three protected).
wow

Puppet

Reaction score
There was probably a bit of luck involved here, but Sarver etc are starting to look like geniuses for not giving JJ what he wanted all those years ago when we were first trying to extend him.

And if you trace it back even further we got JJ (and a pick which I think became Casey Jacobsen) from Boston for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk, two solid but declining tweeners who I don't think are even in the league anymore. And the Suns got criticized for that deal at first too (although JC was in charge back then).

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
There was probably a bit of luck involved here, but Sarver etc are starting to look like geniuses for not giving JJ what he wanted all those years ago when we were first trying to extend him.

And if you trace it back even further we got JJ (and a pick which I think became Casey Jacobsen) from Boston for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk, two solid but declining tweeners who I don't think are even in the league anymore. And the Suns got criticized for that deal at first too (although JC was in charge back then).

Luck isn't a strong enough word.

The Suns have made about 5 hugely stupid moves in the last few years and almost all of them have turned out great. They've even admitted as much on several occasions.

They're the antithesis of the Cardinals.

AZZenny

Reaction score
'Luck is the residue of design.'

Maybe -- just maybe -- they weren't hugely stupid moves. Possibly they weighed and considered cost-benefit/risk-reality issues, made hugely unpopular moves (such as signing Nash, as I seem to recall) and where the luck will come in is staying healthy.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some of their moves really have been stupid (Outlaw for Knight for White who required draft picks to unload) or just didn't work. None the less, the Suns have made more good moves than bad.

None of the post BC decisions look brilliant or stupid so far. Not signing TT to a long term deal to save cap space for a point guard looks like a good deal, but only time will tell. Signing Banks was more a case of luck than skill, but having the cap space wasn't. Bailing out of the draft and going with veteran role players (Pike, Jumaine Jones, and Marks) won't prove out until late in the season.

We don't know what kinds of trade offers were made so we don't know how brilliant they've been in avoiding bad trades. Nor do we know what was offered in the deals they did go after. Still, signing Barbosa and Diaw suggest that Sarver is willing to pay the price to keep together a potentially championship squad.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't forget that it is increasingly plain as day that the Suns brass think much more highly of next year's draft than they did this year's.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't forget that it is increasingly plain as day that the Suns brass think much more highly of next year's draft than they did this year's.

Everyone knew this would be a down year due to removal of HS players from the pool. If anything, the 2006 draft was made even weaker by the fact that several probable lottery players like Noah did not come out. The same could happen this coming draft, but I think the Suns could be looking a potential rotation level player with the Boston pick.

OP
OP
F

fordronken

Reaction score
I highly doubt they'd keep all three picks. If they like three players enough to draft them, somebody on the team is gonna have to go. Remember that next year, ever dollar is doubled, and three guaranteed contracts is a lot to swallow.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
I highly doubt they'd keep all three picks. If they like three players enough to draft them, somebody on the team is gonna have to go. Remember that next year, ever dollar is doubled, and three guaranteed contracts is a lot to swallow.

I don't think anyone on this board actually thinks we'll keep 3 draft picks next summer. Even keeping 2 is highly unlikely.

Nash

Reaction score
Everyone knew this would be a down year due to removal of HS players from the pool. If anything, the 2006 draft was made even weaker by the fact that several probable lottery players like Noah did not come out. The same could happen this coming draft, but I think the Suns could be looking a potential rotation level player with the Boston pick.

The Boston pick is actually Cleveland's pick right? How do you say that could be a rotation level player, considering its more likely to be #16+ ?

I don't think there's a chance in hell that we keep 3 picks. The ATL pick will be used if we get it. I feel the other 2 picks will be used in trades.