Journeyman

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Cool show but I read today it was one of the top 5 most likely to get an early season axe. Disappointing to me because it was the only one of the 5 shows they mentioned I watched...the others were Cavemen, Nashville, K-Ville and Big Shots.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally watched the pilot tonight. I really liked it...but I think Kevin McKidd is an awesome actor.

I liked how they were really just giving out nibbles of the story. When livia shows up I was kind of shocked...didn't see that coming at all.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told my friend about Journeyman possibly getting an axe. He's 22 and he thinks it's justice. He says, "That show's for old people."

It's true. I'm old. I'm 38, which means I'm a geriatric in the world of TV demographics. We don't buy stuff. Mostly we complain about other people spending our money on stuff.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I told my friend about Journeyman possibly getting an axe. He's 22 and he thinks it's justice. He says, "That show's for old people."

yup, i couldn't put my finger on what it was about this show that made me feel like it was going to fail (besides that fact that I didn't think the pilot was all that special), but this nails it right on the head.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We finally caught up. It took us awhile to actually watch it after the pilot, but we just knocked out the last three episodes.

I enjoy this show a lot...it's nothing I'd have to watch, but I do enjoy watching it.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is apparently done. Probably be replaced by Medium for sweeps (starts next Monday). Wish they'd move it to a different night for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is apparently done. Probably be replaced by Medium for sweeps (starts next Monday). Wish they'd move it to a different night for the rest of the season.

Where did you hear this?

I'm just starting to like it. :(

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Medium? WTF...

I fraking love this show, it's like my favorite on Monday nights, over Prison Break, Heroes (right now), etc.

ugh...and I'd like to know where you found this out.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just read this on a blog from yesterday...it says they ordered three more episodes?

Those who have stuck with the character rich science fiction of Journeyman know that the show is a rare commodity, despite its slipping ratings. Its paradoxical place in the television universe as an expertly crafted character piece nuanced by the clichés of time travel pulp science fiction make Journeyman as far from a ‘niche' show as one could possibly get. Journeyman is, in fact, more for those expecting multiple layers of pomp and circumstance seasoned with a touch of the bizarre. None the less, the show does have a chance, and with the peek into the mythological aspects of its story last week, and the fortuitous order of three more scripts from NBC, the layout of the coming weeks could either make or break Dan Vassar's chance at securing a back nine.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/journeyman/saving-journeyman-can-it-hang-12797.aspx

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in a place where my ears are privy to some intelligent TV rumors. Just saying.

I can tell you this: Journeyman cannot carry the kind of numbers it's carrying through sweeps (starts next Monday, ends after Thanksgiving) in its current time slot. It's absolutely killing local news numbers, which is a good way to either (a) get canceled or (b) get moved to a night no one will watch in any time slot (i.e. Friday night). That 9 p.m. (or 10 p.m. slot everywhere else in the country) has to carry numbers into the local news or stations start berating NBC, stop carrying burdensome promo slots, yadda yadda. News is a crucial element to NBC affiliates.

And FWIW, I think this show is well-crafted and is shining with its early character development. It would be a shame to cancel it now because it shows very strong potential. I love how this time travel thing comes at a great cost, and Dan is such a perfect unwilling hero. The creator/writers of this show are among my new favorites.

My only complaint is Dan is something of a dim bulb to be such a good investigative journalist at a big city newspaper. It's hard to swallow. He's also too nice.

Someone needs to explain to me how he thought keeping $50,000 cash of hi-jack money was a good thing when he knows he's under investigation for armed robbery and possibly homicide. He needs to give it to Liv or something.

Last edited:

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in a place where my ears are privy to some intelligent TV rumors. Just saying.

I can tell you this: Journeyman cannot carry the kind of numbers it's carrying through sweeps (starts next Monday, ends after Thanksgiving) in its current time slot. It's absolutely killing local news numbers, which is a good way to either (a) get canceled or (b) get moved to a night no one will watch in any time slot (i.e. Friday night). That 9 p.m. (or 10 p.m. slot everywhere else in the country) has to carry numbers into the local news or stations start berating NBC, stop carrying burdensome promo slots, yadda yadda. News is a crucial element to NBC affiliates.

And FWIW, I think this show is well-crafted and is shining with its early character development. It would be a shame to cancel it now because it shows very strong potential. I love how this time travel thing comes at a great cost, and Dan is such a perfect unwilling hero. The creator/writers of this show are among my new favorites.

My only complaint is Dan is something of a dim bulb to be such a good investigative journalist at a big city newspaper. It's hard to swallow. He's also too nice.

Someone needs to explain to me how he thought keeping $50,000 cash of hi-jack money was a good thing when he knows he's under investigation for armed robbery and possibly homicide. He needs to give it to Liv or something.

Is this like when you said it was going to be a very busy hurricane season?

:D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this like when you said it was going to be a very busy hurricane season?

:D

Possibly. Once again, I'm listening to people who are supposed to know these things. Once again, I'll be happy if they're wrong.

(Now that I think about it, I wish I hadn't been wrong on the hurricanes because Atlanta only has 67 days of water left ... they needed the rain!)

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Last night was a good episode. Kicking his own butt...lol

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy this show. Haven't seen last night's episode yet, but I dig it overall.

Squinty McCloseEyes the brother bugs the crap out of me.

Reaction score
Tonight's ep was good - nice to find out more of Livie's back story...

Was anyone else wondering about the guy in the green truck? I thought they would plug it back in...

Does anyone know how many more episodes are left before they run out of script?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was anyone else wondering about the guy in the green truck? I thought they would plug it back in...

I think the guy in the green truck was the guy who made Abby originally disappear. The hippies were just another track to get her out of the situation.

A very sad side note: I get promotional materials for the NBC lineups the day before they run to put them in our newsletter. I get a :30 spot for the entire primetime lineup, and then I get a :15 spot for the 9 pm show for the news lead-in. I do Mondays on Friday.

After two weeks of no surprises, on Friday I got a :30 spot for the entire lineup, but the :15 spot was for Heroes, the 8 pm show. Very unusual. On one hand, it could just mean NBC is wanting to pump up promotion for Heroes, which is getting it's butt kicked by shows like "Dancing with the Stars," which is just criminal in my mind. OTOH, this could be the first sign of the end of Journeyman. There's a 40 percent drop in viewers from Heroes to Journeyman.

The writing's on the wall for this show, and it's just sad that it hasn't found a stable audience. This show has unfolded as a much stronger piece of work than the early shows revealed and I refuse to believe there's not a large number of people as bored as I am with reality trash and canned laughter. A rational person would think maybe it could find a home on another night.

I'm going to blame this on NBC not understanding the show's natural audience. Chuck and Heroes is a teenage demographic. Journeyman has an older demographic -- one with 1,000 times more expendable income than its lead-in shows. They need to get it to another night, maybe put it in the 8 pm slot to lead into Law & Order. It's an 8 pm kind of show, IMO. There's nothing about it that demands some type of last-hour censorship where the feds force networks to put "adult-oriented shows."

Argh. If they cancel this show I'm going to lose faith in the American public entirely.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, I'm really loving this show. It is like the book Replay, Quantum Leap and the book Slaughterhouse Five in a lot of ways. I LOVE the new info about Livia...very cool twist there. I love the scientist guy and the money trail. And Squinty McCloseEyes is looking like he's sloooowly putting pieces together.

This show is hitting its stride, just in time for the writers strike to kill it forever. :(

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No promo for Journeyman again. I'm betting it's gone not long after sweeps.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty sure I saw a promo, but I could be wrong.

I certainly hope it's not gone.

Perhaps you didn't see my previous post. There was no promo broadcast for the affiliates. I put together Ch. 12's promotional e-mail, and I do Monday's on Friday. NBC's putting all their efforts into pumping Heroes, but it's a bad sign because affiliates only care about 9 pm show. Affiliates aren't happy at all with Journeyman's lead-in numbers. We want to promote it. NBC isn't giving us the promotional materials.

There was a promotion, but it was network only.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Entertainment Weekly, there are five more episodes of journeyman left.

FYI.