OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

“I saw John Wick 4 on the plane. Talk about volume. I think the film is disgusting beyond belief,” Stone said in a new interview with Variety. “Disgusting. I don’t know what people are thinking.

“Maybe I was watching G.I. Joe when I was a kid. But [Keanu Reeves] kills, what, three, four hundred people in the f****** movie. And as a combat veteran, I gotta tell you, not one of them is believable. I realize it’s a movie, but it’s become a video game more than a movie.”

John Wick actually kills 151 people in the fourth installment of the popular film franchise – a new record!

“It’s lost touch with reality,” Stone continued. “The audience perhaps likes the video game. But I get bored by it. How many cars can crash? How many stunts can you do? What’s the difference between Fast and Furious and some other film? It’s just one thing after another. Whether it’s a super-human Marvel character or just a human being like John Wick, it doesn’t make any difference. It’s not believable.”

Then again, as Stone also said in the same interview, “People in showbiz are idiots.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

“I saw John Wick 4 on the plane. Talk about volume. I think the film is disgusting beyond belief,” Stone said in a new interview with Variety. “Disgusting. I don’t know what people are thinking.

“Maybe I was watching G.I. Joe when I was a kid. But [Keanu Reeves] kills, what, three, four hundred people in the f****** movie. And as a combat veteran, I gotta tell you, not one of them is believable. I realize it’s a movie, but it’s become a video game more than a movie.”

John Wick actually kills 151 people in the fourth installment of the popular film franchise – a new record!

“It’s lost touch with reality,” Stone continued. “The audience perhaps likes the video game. But I get bored by it. How many cars can crash? How many stunts can you do? What’s the difference between Fast and Furious and some other film? It’s just one thing after another. Whether it’s a super-human Marvel character or just a human being like John Wick, it doesn’t make any difference. It’s not believable.”

Then again, as Stone also said in the same interview, “People in showbiz are idiots.”
I’m sure he still likes all the money he’s made for 40 years though.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Says the guy who directed Natural Born Killers...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Says the guy who directed Natural Born Killers...
While I disagree with Stone, this comment strikes me as pretty odd. The Wick movies are a celebration of action, violence without much pathos to them. And I love them. But Killers wasn’t that. It was a scathing satire, that actually lambasted America’s obsessive overindulgence, addiction and celebration of violence. Especially through the eyes of the media.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I disagree with Stone, this comment strikes me as pretty odd. Killers was a scathing satire, lambasting America’s obsessive overindulgence, addiction and celebration of violence. Especially through the eyes of the media.
I thought he was kind of gratuitous violence. Maybe I misinterpreted.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he was kind of gratuitous violence. Maybe I misinterpreted.
I’d think it’s worth watching again with fresh eyes. That movie is gushing with violence that speaks to America’s bloodlust, the industrial prison complex and first and foremost, media manipulation and pushing celebrity/celebrating violence… all bookended by a sweet Polar Bear commercial selling Coca-Cola.

The movie was wayyyyy ahead of its time, IMO. But has only become more relevant as crazy and murder have become so celebrated/covered as media has continued to evolve/explode.

Last edited:

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d suggest watching it again with fresh eyes. That movie is gushing with violence that speaks to America’s bloodlust, the industrial prison complex and first and foremost, media manipulation and pushing and celebrating violence… all bookended by a sweet Polar Bear commercial selling Coca-Cola.

The movie was wayyyyy ahead of its time, IMO. But has only become more relevant as crazy and murder have become so celebrated/covered as media has continued to evolve/explode.
Interesting perspective. I'll have to do that. :thumbup:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This movie was awesome. It supplanted the original as the best in the series so far. Kinda wish

Donnie Yen wasn't blind. He was one of my favorite martial artists of all time, and while getting up there in age, some was left on the table.

4,1,2,3 in that order.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I loved the first three. I had to stop at about an hour in of #4. I felt like I was watching the same 5 minutes of fighting in a loop for an hour. I didn't dislike it just got kind of bored with watching the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over. I'll watch the rest later but I'm taking a break for now.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This movie was awesome. It supplanted the original as the best in the series so far. Kinda wish

Donnie Yen wasn't blind. He was one of my favorite martial artists of all time, and while getting up there in age, some was left on the table.

4,1,2,3 in that order.
This might be the only comment that gets me to see this movie, because no. Just no.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I'd like to see another Wick movie with Keanu. His "death" can be explained as a slight of hand to get all of his detractors off of his path. I'd like to see him in exotic locales being an assassin to many corrupt bigwigs.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good decision to leave open the possibility Wick survived. Given that he's already survived against unbeatable odds in such absurdly extreme situations, killing him off (definitively) would feel like a betrayal to many of us.

There was a long running men's action/adventure book series that started in the early 80's called Out of the Ashes. It had a hero like Wick that would regularly get shot, stabbed, blown up, tossed off high cliffs, captured, tortured and everything else you can think of. The author died (William Johnstone) but they kept on putting them out with ghost writers. At some point they decided they had to kill him off. But they knew they couldn't just "kill" him in the same ways he'd already survived so out of the blue they bring in aliens who seed the planet with a devastating virus that takes him out. That's where they are with Wick, if they do forever kill him it has to involve Martians or ghosts or something like that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose