John Wick: Chapter 4

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back. I mean it was kinda cool. But the action scenes were entirely too long which in turn made the movie pointlessly long with just never ending nonsensical violence. The suspension of disbelief was getting too far out of hand for my tastes especially in the Continental Osaka. An almost 30 minute straight action scene with never ending bad guys?? Smh

The scene on the staircase at the end too… smh…..

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just got back. I mean it was kinda cool. But the action scenes were entirely too long which in turn made the movie pointlessly long with just never ending nonsensical violence. The suspension of disbelief was getting too far out of hand for my tastes especially in the Continental Osaka. An almost 30 minute straight action scene with never ending bad guys?? Smh

What exactly did you think you were going to see??

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What exactly did you think you were going to see??
Clearly I was expecting lots of action. I’ve seen the others. This one was just too much. It’s like they extended the scenes just for the sake of doing it. How many guys dressed in black with black masks do you need to kill in one continuous scene before it’s enough?

We can agree to disagree and that’s ok ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Clearly I was expecting lots of action. I’ve seen the others. This one was just too much. It’s like they extended the scenes just for the sake of doing it. How many guys dressed in black with black masks do you need to kill in one continuous scene before it’s enough?

So the series is just a kill fest any more? Yeah, more reason not to watch. At least the first one had an emotional core to it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

FYI I did put a smiley on my post but it didn’t show up for some reason.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Got tickets for Tuesday. I'll be surprised if I'm disappointed.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

I haven't seen JW4 yet to comment on it specifically but this is a problem I've been having with movies in general. They're padding out the run times too much and the movies aren't as tight as they should be. I don't want to watch a 3 hour movie that's really a 2 hour movie with an hour of padding added to it. Zack Snyder is the poser child for doing this. Cameron is in the club too after Avatar 2.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't seen JW4 yet to comment on it specifically but this is a problem I've been having with movies in general. They're padding out the run times too much and the movies aren't as tight as they should be. I don't want to watch a 3 hour movie that's really a 2 hour movie with an hour of padding added to it. Zack Snyder is the poser child for doing this. Cameron is in the club too after Avatar 2.
Run time has been a bit out of hand yeah, including the JW4 without even seeing it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought it was good, not great. First 60-90 minutes were solid but a little slow and they didn’t seem to be raising the bar at all action wise. A little bit of a been there, done that syndrome.

Last hour was a blast. Arc De Triomphe, Contra Gun Overhead and Stairs Set-Pieces were a nice 1-2-3 punch. And it had me guessing as to how they’d pull off the eventual ending, which I appreciated being a more personal, low-key affair after the incredible orgy of action just mentioned.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
A friend invited me to help celebrate his birthday. I haven't seen the others. I think it's just not really my thing. I can appreciate that it was well done in a certain sense, but it felt like the plot was thrown together just to give the killing scenes a reason to exist. The only character I found compelling was Caine. However, visually...

The open-ceiling "floor plan" sequence toward the end was cool.

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My wife wanted to go watch this today and said hopefully it’s not like the last one.

JW 1 was really good a surprise hit had a lot of emotion in it

JW 2 not as good as the first

JW 3 just pointless and bad

I was watching 3 just bored out of my mind. Endless killing with no plot sucks. At this point he’s not a man anymore he’s pretty much a super hero. I’m not sitting in a movie theatre almost 3 hours for the same ole same ole.

Thanks Shane saved me a lot of time

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son and I went to see this. It was a blast. Simply love these movies. You feel exhausted after watching the wall to wall actions sequences. Caine was a cool character. I loved the top down scene in the building and also the nightclub scene. The cinematography was epic.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
My wife wanted to go watch this today and said hopefully it’s not like the last one.

I was watching 3 just bored out of my mind. Endless killing with no plot sucks. At this point he’s not a man anymore he’s pretty much a super hero. I’m not sitting in a movie theatre almost 3 hours for the same ole same ole.

I cut out after 2.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What amazes me about the longevity of this franchise? When the first one came out I remember seeing something about it and wasn't interested. Never gave it a second thought. Then I don't recall how or why but I ended up seeing it and feeling like...why didn't I see this sooner or know more about it.

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I made a huge mistake and took my college age son to this today. Awful. Dumb. I knew it was going to be braindead but it was worse than even I feared it might be. About as interesting as watching someone play Call of Duty and about as believable.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Just saw it. My favorite part was the dude having a beer at the end. Because of course, he had a beer in his backpack and of course, that beer bottle made it through unscathed.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am an hour in and it's awful. If you have any understanding of modern armor and archaic weapons it's like an 8 year old wrote the action scenes.

Kevlar mesh stops penetration not the imparting of kinetic force. It's so jarringly stupid it ruins the entire scene. You cant block bullets with your sports coat.

Also, I don't care what helmet you have on, a full swing hit from a nunchuk stops the fight. The impact to your neck is crippling. Multiple motor cycle helmet dudes took those shots like it was Tuesday.

This movie is stupid so far