JJ Watt

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Thought he was fine. Rewatched the game and Allen was getting pushed off the ball all game. Our cut back pursuit was terrible most of the game.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
But that means that both he and chandler were being doubled and no one else reached the QB? That would mean everyone else we trotted out there are just hot garbage.
This is correct. Rewatched the game and the Vikings would often double team Jones and Watt. The middle of our DLine was pushed around most of the game with poor cutback pursuit.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
the Vikings ran to the opposite side of JJ all game, which is why he was a non factor most the game. His pass rush isn’t good though. Zach Allen was awful today and gave every cutback lane that Cook took.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Vikings OL has tremendous upside. Wait until their 1st rounder gets back. As a team last week, the Vikings had like 14 penalties for 130 yards. Otherwise, they would have beaten the Bengals by 3 touchdowns. Zimmer is a great coach & had them totally focused today. I’ll put a TON of money on this team to win next week & then get on a roll.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What's the criteria for being "done"?

If it's the stat sheet then out whole interior D line is done.

Personally I think he's done well. Made some splash plays nobody else on the interior can make. And have to remember he's still gelling. Still getting 100% comfortable and learning to play with new guys.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he played well and drew attention we just need more from Allen. Both Peters and JJ had big hits on Cook that took him out for a few plays, big clean hits.

And yes so far losing Reddick looks bad, 3 sacks so far, with Gardeck out it would be nice to have a designated pass rusher like Reddick to go to for help when they double Chandler Jones.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Zach Allen was basically hugging the OLine all day. It was pathetic.

Last year Vance said Zach Allen had took a step up and he didn't. This year he got more hype from Vance saying he was "fully grown".

Allen is pure JAG. I don't know how he gets so many snaps. Dogbe is better than Allen. Allen is our worst iDL in my opinion.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is correct. Rewatched the game and the Vikings would often double team Jones and Watt. The middle of our DLine was pushed around most of the game with poor cutback pursuit.
Man that’s pathetic then. Allen, fotu, and Lawrence just wasted picks then. Did philips play?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Man that’s pathetic then. Allen, fotu, and Lawrence just wasted picks then. Did philips play?
Lawrence and Fotu at least got in the backfield once...They just need to be more consistent. Allen sux and is easily the weakest link. If you double Watt and Jones, you can still get a chip on Peters, Lotu and/or Lawrence (whomever is in there), knowing that Allen will never sniff the backfield, regardless of who's guarding him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really hard to judge lineman by just stats if you don't know the scheme. I thought he was overrated pre draft and I still do now but Javon Kinlaw had 1 tackle yesterday, an assist, no sacks, but the coaches are just raving about having him back in. Had 2 pressures, blocked a FG and they are saying he was absolutely critical in their goalline stand

Watt to me is doing his job we just need more from the guys in the middle with him.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Vikings OL has tremendous upside. Wait until their 1st rounder gets back. As a team last week, the Vikings had like 14 penalties for 130 yards. Otherwise, they would have beaten the Bengals by 3 touchdowns. Zimmer is a great coach & had them totally focused today. I’ll put a TON of money on this team to win next week & then get on a roll.
I hope you’re right they play Seattle

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope you’re right they play Seattle
Seattle will have their hands full trying to stop the Viking offense. And the MN DLine will come after Wilson hard. Isn’t it odd that the Seahawks have been better on the road the last few years than at home???

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Really hard to judge lineman by just stats if you don't know the scheme. I thought he was overrated pre draft and I still do now but Javon Kinlaw had 1 tackle yesterday, an assist, no sacks, but the coaches are just raving about having him back in. Had 2 pressures, blocked a FG and they are saying he was absolutely critical in their goalline stand

Watt to me is doing his job we just need more from the guys in the middle with him.
You would've considered me as overrating Kinlaw then. He was my choice for #1 pick. But, I never thought we had a chance at Simmons in that draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You would've considered me as overrating Kinlaw then. He was my choice for #1 pick. But, I never thought we had a chance at Simmons in that draft.

Yeah he was the classic looks like Tarzan plays like Jane to me didn't make enough plays. But he apparently made a HUGE difference in the 49ers defense yesterday from what I'm seeing online from their staff.

We will see him in game 5.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With CJ getting double teamed Watt and company should have been feasting.

JJ Watt was getting double teamed most of the game. Chandler on a few occasions got chipped but was one on one most of the game if blocked at all.

Watch the defensive series from this(click "Watch on Youtube"), you can clearly see Watt getting double teamed almost every play:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JJ Watt was getting double teamed most of the game. Chandler on a few occasions got chipped but was one on one most of the game if blocked at all.

Watch the defensive series from this(click "Watch on Youtube"), you can clearly see Watt getting double teamed almost every play:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Other posters claimed jones was doubled or chipped all day.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw Watt getting doubled but the real problem was the d-line would flow in the direction of the play. Then the Vikings were getting blockers to the second tier. I saw Hicks literally get pushed back 10 yards. While all that was happening Cook would cut back.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Other posters claimed jones was doubled or chipped all day.
If you watch the film Jones wasn't doubled or chipped at all. In fact they blocked Jones with just a FB or TE a good part of the first half while Watt was the one who got Double teamed.

Here are a few examples.

2nd play of the second drive and Jones is completely ignored by the RT. Jones is then picked up by the FB who is able to wall him off from Cook one-on-one. Meanwhile Watt is getting double teamed.

You must be registered for see images attach

A few plays later on the TD:

Next Possession:

Next Play that drive:

Toward the end of the Half right before the field goal:

In the plays from this clip that were shown during the first half I don't recall seeing Jones doubled at all. He was maybe chipped once. Meanwhile Watt got doubled all the time.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you watch the film Jones wasn't doubled or chipped at all. In fact they blocked Jones with just a FB or TE a good part of the first half while Watt was the one who got Double teamed.

Here are a few examples.

2nd play of the second drive and Jones is completely ignored by the RT. Jones is then picked up by the FB who is able to wall him off from Cook one-on-one. Meanwhile Watt is getting double teamed.

A few plays later on the TD:

Next Possession:

Next Play that drive:

Toward the end of the Half right before the field goal:

In the plays from this clip that were shown during the first half I don't recall seeing Jones doubled at all. He was maybe chipped once. Meanwhile Watt got doubled all the time.
Any sort of delayed blitz by the linebackers would’ve had a free run at Cousins. In the clip you posted, the center would snap the ball and run right towards Watt leaving the middle wide open.

OKCardFan

Registered
Reaction score
Phillips is on IR. He should be back soon.
Hope so, as that should help our defensive line. Thought that's why we paid him the big bucks to have stats like this:
  • Six-year NFL veteran has 124 tackles, 28 tackles for loss, 17.0 sacks and 36 QB hits in 85 games (44 starts) with the Dolphins (2015-18), Bills (2018-19) and Cardinals (2020).
  • Set career highs with 9.5 sacks, 31 tackles, 13 tackles for loss, and 16 QB hits in 2019, trailing only Aaron Donald (12.5) for the most sacks among NFL defensive tackles.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose