JJ Watt update?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Apologies if this has been spoken of but we are getting a few weeks away from a possible return? Has anyone heard anything about JJ getting back SOON?

Also, I assume Hopkins can maybe be back if they make it to the supr bowl but thats probably it?

Just wondering if anyone has heard any kind of update

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Haven’t heard any update on Watt lately. I’m guessing he’s gonna try and take the field come wildcard weekend, but I wish we could have bought him another week by getting the bye.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I've posted this several times. 98.7, Bickley & Marrota I believe did the math on a Watt return. He had the surgery October 9th, his surgeon told him the earliest he could play again is 3 months, that makes it January 9th. They went on to say he was attacking his rehab hard & was already lifting weights but didn't know to what extent? When the injury happened everyone said 4-6 months but his surgeon told him 3-4. The show I listened to was in late November I believe? That's about all I know right now.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think hes back for the playoffs. He is a rehab monster, and just having him on the field makes us tougher.

I honestly believe if we were to make a SB run that JJ would retire. The injuries have to be getting exhausting, and he is already a HOFer. He also would be an instant star in broadcasting if he wants, and I think he would make an excellent coach one day if he were to choose that route (but I doubt it).

OP
OP
JohnnyCakes

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I think hes back for the playoffs. He is a rehab monster, and just having him on the field makes us tougher.

I honestly believe if we were to make a SB run that JJ would retire. The injuries have to be getting exhausting, and he is already a HOFer. He also would be an instant star in broadcasting if he wants, and I think he would make an excellent coach one day if he were to choose that route (but I doubt it).
See thats where I get a little confused. If hes back for the playoffs then hes back in 2 weeks? I would think you would hear an update regarding how close he is but not surprising we dont

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
See thats where I get a little confused. If hes back for the playoffs then hes back in 2 weeks? I would think you would hear an update regarding how close he is but not surprising we dont
If hes allowed to play, off IR, whatever....I would keep it a secret until game time.

Honestly he is a player that strikes a little fear in O-Lineman and OCs....if its announced an hour before kickoff it would be pretty awesome.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If hes allowed to play, off IR, whatever....I would keep it a secret until game time.

Honestly he is a player that strikes a little fear in O-Lineman and OCs....if its announced an hour before kickoff it would be pretty awesome.
There are rules preventing that. He would have to be moved off of IR and announced on the injury report in some manner.

The problem with JJ at this point, no news is bad news.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Cards site just posted rest for chase and Conner, hope AJ, CC , Baker get some also. Be nice to get watts and hop back, could happen, I would tell dallas - they might call a timeout!

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
OK somewhere along the line I missed it or got confused about something I read. Did JJ actually have surgery? Did quick search and didn't find out.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK somewhere along the line I missed it or got confused about something I read. Did JJ actually have surgery? Did quick search and didn't find out.
Yes

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hop they said surgery and he could be back in about 6 weeks. He had surgery the 3rd week of December so he's about 17 days past surgery now? which is why I've been saying IF he comes back this year the most likely scenario is the Super Bowl, if you just do the math he won't play Sunday, he won't play in the Wildcard round and he's still about 2 weeks out from there which means the most likely scenario is he won't play this year unless we make the Super Bowl.

I would add remember he was out several weeks with a hamstring prior to the knee injury so it's likely going to make it harder for him to push really hard on the knee rehab.

Absolute best case would the NFC championship game but more likely Super Bowl.

So let's make it that far!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hop they said surgery and he could be back in about 6 weeks. He had surgery the 3rd week of December so he's about 17 days past surgery now? which is why I've been saying IF he comes back this year the most likely scenario is the Super Bowl, if you just do the math he won't play Sunday, he won't play in the Wildcard round and he's still about 2 weeks out from there which means the most likely scenario is he won't play this year unless we make the Super Bowl.

I would add remember he was out several weeks with a hamstring prior to the knee injury so it's likely going to make it harder for him to push really hard on the knee rehab.

Absolute best case would the NFC championship game but more likely Super Bowl.

So let's make it that far!
the news we got on watt was similar... super bowl,... but not likely before. Thats what was said back when he first had his surgery.
then you look at doctors words... first ones said 4=6 months, he goes to another and they say 3-4 months... common denominator?? 4 months. that puts us at February 8th I think.
which is what?? a week before the super bowl?